Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Houses/Flats to rent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I don't think that's creepy
    Why wouldn't a parent have an au pair and need to make a few extra bob renting a room

Creepy is the "share the bed in my apt with another female like your sister maybe" guy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

The au pair in this case also happens to be his wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭knarkypants

:confused:
    How do you know it's his wife? It doesn't say that anywhere on the ad??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

And you know that how?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

OK, so it's a 3 bed house with one room for rent. 3 other people in the house, au pair, father and kid. Does the au-pair share a room with the father or does the kid share with the father or au pair and kid, au pair on the couch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Perhaps it's a single father who's fallen on hard times, and he's sharing a room with his 3-year-old child so he can make some money off the third room. I really don't see what the big deal is.

OK, so it's a 3 bed house with one room for rent. 3 other people in the house, au pair, father and kid. Does the au-pair share a room with the father or does the kid share with the father or au pair and kid, au pair on the couch?
    Would presume the au pair or dad shares with the kid. Either way don't see any of those combinations being especially creepy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭knarkypants

Still don't see it as creepy. I know a girl who lives in a 2 bed house with 2 children and an au pair. The 2 kids share with the mother and the au pair has her own room.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I wouldn't agree that it's creepy, but it's definitely not a living situation I would want to get into the middle of.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ziggy_Stardust

:confused:
    How do you know it's his wife? It doesn't say that anywhere on the ad??? :confused:

I actually live nearby. It's definitely his wife. Haha, It would make for an interesting conversation when the tenant realises the au-pair is in all the family photos.

Also it would be quite creepy for someone to pay €600 to live in a dingy house in chapo with a young family, rooms go for about 400 in the area without the family issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

I wouldn't agree that it's creepy, but it's definitely not a living situation I would want to get into the middle of.

...And for 600 a month!?

Essentially one must pay crazy money (+ bills) to be in an awkward house share where realistically you would be in your room most of the time. I can imagine the living room being busy with the au pair and kid watching Dora all day and then the father playing with his kid in the evenings and the au pair making dinner etc, then having to be quiet as the little tike is asleep. And never feeling comfortable enough to bring a friend around or whatever.

Fudge me, even if it was 300 p/m, I wouldn't be into that.

Although, I just noticed there are two living rooms, so maybe it wouldn't be soooo bad. One for them, one for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I love how boards contrarians are so quick to defend this completely messed up situation.

As was said above the au pair is his wife. This bloke is a chancer and a spoofer. Also who in their right mind would invite a perfect stranger to houseshare with them and their 3 y/o child? I wager that none of you would no matter how dire your financial situation may or may not be.

On top of this, he's looking for 600 p/m for a room in a house with two other adults and a child.

Come on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

This is a weird one. €2800 per month and the photos show you practically nothing. Who on earth would even ring up about this? I occasionally check out some of the really expensive places for the craic. The funny thing is that in recent years more and more ****ty looking places are coming in at 2-3 grand. A couple of years ago almost everything in that price bracket looked pretty special. The property market must be slumping back into life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,023 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

ThirdMan wrote: »
    This is a weird one. €2800 per month and the photos show you practically nothing. Who on earth would even ring up about this? I occasionally check out some of the really expensive places for the craic. The funny thing is that in recent years more and more ****ty looking places are coming in at 2-3 grand. A couple of years ago almost everything in that price bracket looked pretty special. The property market must be slumping back into life.

surly a rip-the-piss? whats with all the close-up shots?

Nevermind. Thought that was monthly!

It's been up since 2012 apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

That's a serviced apartment, companies rent them on 2-3 week blocks for visiting staff. Hence the price.

Nothing unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

But a close up of a soap dispenser is... indispensable :cool:

KungPao wrote: »
    ...And for 600 a month!?

Essentially one must pay crazy money (+ bills) to be in an awkward house share where realistically you would be in your room most of the time. I can imagine the living room being busy with the au pair and kid watching Dora all day and then the father playing with his kid in the evenings and the au pair making dinner etc, then having to be quiet as the little tike is asleep. And never feeling comfortable enough to bring a friend around or whatever.

Fudge me, even if it was 300 p/m, I wouldn't be into that.

Although, I just noticed there are two living rooms, so maybe it wouldn't be soooo bad. One for them, one for you.

Fudge?

MadsL wrote: »
    That's a serviced apartment, companies rent them on 2-3 week blocks for visiting staff. Hence the price.

Nothing unusual.

I see. Although it wasn't the price that caught my eye, it was the crappy close up shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

I love how boards contrarians are so quick to defend this completely messed up situation.

As was said above the au pair is his wife. This bloke is a chancer and a spoofer. Also who in their right mind would invite a perfect stranger to houseshare with them and their 3 y/o child? I wager that none of you would no matter how dire your financial situation may or may not be.

On top of this, he's looking for 600 p/m for a room in a house with two other adults and a child.

Come on...

It's strange alright. If the au pair is his wife, it's strange he refers to her as the au pair. I also wouldn't want to live in a house with a parent(s) and a child I didn't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

bluewolf wrote: »
    But a close up of a soap dispenser is... indispensable :cool:

That and the towels demonstrate that the apartment is serviced. Soap and towels provided for example. That said the photographer was clearly a hotel professional. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Crazy prices.

Because of the location (near Google etc) and showroom look, and no minimum lease, I'd imagine this is rented out short term to business men and the like, instead of staying in a hotel.

The arty photographs make a nice change from the downward perspective into an old filthy sink or well-used toilet with fecal residues...but are ultimately pretty pointless. You can't even get an true idea of the size/layout of the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

That's clearly short term accommodation. Perfect for long stays that would be crazy expensive in a hotel. Looks as nice as a 5 star hotel suit and is only 100 a night. Seems reasonable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Would be ideal for a couple of Garth Brooks fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

I went to see this place yesterday evening: http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1415254

Never ever go see a place with no inside pictures even if you think the age of development will equal an apartment in decent condition. Worn out carpets, bubbled up lino in the bathroom and kitchen, horrific silicone work all over the bathroom. I spent 30 seconds in the place.

I think it's just greedy to rent a place at that price and not fix it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

laugh wrote: »
    I went to see this place yesterday evening: http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1415254

Never ever go see a place with no inside pictures even if you think the age of development will equal an apartment in decent condition. Worn out carpets, bubbled up lino in the bathroom and kitchen, horrific silicone work all over the bathroom. I spent 30 seconds in the place.

I think it's just greedy to rent a place at that price and not fix it up.

It looks like Sauron's tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Aglomerado wrote: »
    It looks like Sauron's tower.

I think the lad who designed it may have had no willy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

If it was anywhere but Birmingham it would be a yes please.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29111517.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Mince Pie wrote: »
    If it was anywhere but Birmingham it would be a yes please.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29111517.html

I think that house was on Come Dine with Me once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

irish_goat wrote: »
    I think that house was on Come Dine with Me once.

I have an inkling of the one you mean but thought it was yer wans front room?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement