Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Houses/Flats to rent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Butterfly25

They haven't shown the toilet. Can I assume there isn't enough space for one!? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

They haven't shown the toilet. Can I assume there isn't enough space for one!? :P

Pretty sure it mentions separate bathroom. Probably accessed through the wardrobe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

yawhat! wrote: »

For this I felt obliged.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

For this I felt obliged.

I wish there was more people like you.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Where is that door going in the bathroom ?

Have to assume it is a sliding door of some sort

G3j4Hu9.png

It's a sliding door, like a really crap patio door, runs on a sort of track like a patio door would. I rented a bedsit in Sydney with one like that and it was horrible. Came home locked one night and managed to push it off its track. Bloody nightmare to get it back on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

hardCopy wrote: »
    You're lucky if the letting agent even takes your call these days.

We just moved and the only places we got to view were places where the landlord handled the letting themselves.

Spoke too soon, went to the viewing yesterday, he didn't show up. :mad: Discovered later that the property had been let, but we were never notified.
    yawhat! wrote: »

That place is a fire hazard!

Also, "reference required"? Fúck right off! You'd want to be paid to live there. I'd actually love to email the estate agent and tell them off, but what would be the point? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

Spoke too soon, went to the viewing yesterday, he didn't show up. :mad: Discovered later that the property had been let, but we were never notified.

Also, "reference required"? Fúck right off! You'd want to be paid to live there. I'd actually love to email the estate agent and tell them off, but what would be the point? :mad:

I'm just wondering, what happens if people report this sh**hole and the responsible landlord to the responsible authorities?
    should have some effect, property off the market and landlord fined?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Toots* wrote: »
    It's a sliding door, like a really crap patio door, runs on a sort of track like a patio door would. I rented a bedsit in Sydney with one like that and it was horrible. Came home locked one night and managed to push it off its track. Bloody nightmare to get it back on.

I used to live in a grotty old Victorian house with something similar. My bedroom was the old kitchen and still had the water and gas pipes, about a foot high and blanked off, in the corner. The 'shelf' above my bed was actually the old window sill. The new kitchen was nextdoor on the same narrow corridor so my bedroom 'door' was a sliding affair that had a habt of tipping off the rail if you pushed it back too far. Anything more than two thirds of the way across and over it went. The only thing in its favour was it was much warmer than the two bedrooms upstairs as there was no roof insulation at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Whats the situation with the law regarding bedsits? Is it new ones are banned or all or none?

The one above is about 6 years old.

Whats the situation with the law regarding bedsits? Is it new ones are banned or all or none?

The one above is about 6 years old.

A bedsit in Irish law is one where kitchen/bathroom is shared.

• Advertisement

Just reported the ad to Daft myself there. Cannot believe it hasn't been taken down yet.

I fairly frequently report ads on there, usually those really obvious, scammy ones.

A bedsit in Irish law is one where kitchen/bathroom is shared.

I assume you mean shared with other people, not shared with beds. :pac:

What makes the one in the post illegal? The shared kitchen/bed? Is that from a certain points all existing ones became illegal or ones built after a certain point?

What makes the one in the post illegal? The shared kitchen/bed? Is that from a certain points all existing ones became illegal or ones built after a certain point?

The proximity of the couch/bed to the hob is dangerous. Thing that can produce fire near thing that is highly flammable even with "flame retardant" covers. Also, the area around the hob shouldn't be obstructed like that.

The proximity of the couch/bed to the hob is dangerous. Thing that can produce fire near thing that is highly flammable even with "flame retardant" covers. Also, the area around the hob shouldn't be obstructed like that.

Could they not just turn the couch to the wall to the left of it as we're looking at it and say "hey presto, legal"? or say its normally there but we moved it when hanging a picture? Not really something structural and sure the tenant could move It back to blocking the hob again as soon as they move in if they like. The landlord is hardly liable in that case are they?

Presumably its not normally the way it is in the pic cos the fridge isn't useable.

Could they not just turn the couch to the wall to the left of it as we're looking at it and say "hey presto, legal"? or say its normally there but we moved it when hanging a picture?

I can't imagine that if it were possible to have the bed so close to the hob that they wouldn't have done it. The place is probably tiny, photos tend to be quite deceptive. At the very least, it should be looked into before the putting the ad up. It doesn't look very good for Daft or the letting agent.

It doesn't meet the minimum standards. Namely: no oven, no dryer, doesn't look like there's a fire blanket or smoke alarm (these could be fitted).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Could they not just turn the couch to the wall to the left of it as we're looking at it and say "hey presto, legal"?

That's where the wardrobe is, which would then probably completely hide the window if it was swapped with the bed/sofa. What a depressing place to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

There are prison cells bigger than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Jarrod wrote: »
    You could stick your rashers on from bed and have the smell of bacon wafting over you as you snooze, dead handy.

Glass half-full kind of guy - I like it!

Hang on though; you would need to get out of bed, move the wardrobe and then the bed (or should it be called "couch" when you're not lying in it?) to open the fridge door.

• Advertisement

That place is exactly why we need a rent control board. No way should that landlord be able to profit from that death trap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I just mailed them and called them horrible c*nts

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I just mailed them and called them horrible c*nts

:pac: I so hope this is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

This place in Galway is just €30 more expensive than that horrible sh1thole http://www.daft.ie/lettings/40-dominick-street-lower-coachman-apartments-galway-city-centre-galway/1435039/&ea=1
    Obviously you can't compare Dublin with Galway in terms of population and demand but it just further emphasises the excessive rents and shocking state of some of the properties in the Dublin rental market.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Odelay wrote: »
    Would be kinda romantic, you and your partner in bed, warming yer toes by the........hob.

No romance allowed in this apartment it would seem:
    Daft wrote:
    THIS PROPERTY WOULD BE SUITABLE FOR ONE PERSON. THIS PROPERTY IS FOR 1 PERSON ONLY

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

This place in Galway is just €30 more expensive than that horrible sh1thole http://www.daft.ie/lettings/40-dominick-street-lower-coachman-apartments-galway-city-centre-galway/1435039/&ea=1
    Obviously you can't compare Dublin with Galway in terms of population and demand but it just further emphasises the excessive rents and shocking state of some of the properties in the Dublin rental market.

One of the problems with that Galway apartment is that a lot of the rooms have no windows. I knew someone who lived in one, and I think the only window they had was in the bathroom. They're large enough, but the lack of natural light really gets to you after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Health & Safety reasons. There's just not enough breathable air in there for more than one person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

This thread is so depressing. We would love to move somewhere cheaper but unless we are willing to literally live in a hole in the ground there just isn't anything!

I'm gonna move to Kerry and live here instead. Its less than what I currently pay for a 2 bed terrace in an estate in North Dublin :(

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/hawthorn-woods-kenmare-kerry/1402712/#

I had a similar response a few weeks back when I enquired about my boyfriend and I viewing a one-bed apartment that was plenty big enough for two. Strange, I would have thought there'd be more security in having two people renting a place. If one loses their job, the other has income.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

The position of the towel rail in the bathroom :eek::eek::eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement