Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Houses/Flats to rent

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Serious safety issue with the socket directly over the sink:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Check out where the shower is in this one. That would be handy I think. :)

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/lohunda-blanchardstown-dublin/1435202/

I've a set up like that. It IS handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

bluewolf wrote: »

That one is properly installed. The worst one I've seen was in the small terraced house a former colleague lived in. The 'en suite' was a shower in a free-standing metal tube in the middle of the bedroom. And I mean, in the middle, you could (almost) walk all the way around it because it was almost in the centre of the room. She said it was like having a wash in an oil drum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Possibly a really stupid question, but why would they include yer man in the house photos...unique selling point? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

LynnGrace wrote: »
    Possibly a really stupid question, but why would they include yer man in the house photos...unique selling point? :confused:
    They just put it in for the craic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Millicent wrote: »
    My guess was always that it might put them on the taxman's radar. That or they have some outdated and unfair views of rental allowance recipients as "trouble".

And a belief that all landlords are tax dodgers is extremely outdated too. A majority of landlords pay tax on their incomes. You are more likely to see a doctor on a revenues tax defaulter list than a landlord.

Rent allowance simply isnt enough for most properties. There is barely any difference in the amount given for a social welfare person renting in Dublin city center or a house in the middle of the country. Plus a tenant is paid the rent allowance and not the landlord. A landlord can have a tenant keeping the rent from the them. And its impossible for him to evict the tenant

Rent allowance is just too much work for no gain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

bluewolf wrote: »

I would think so. When I shower I always sit on the side of my bed afterwards to dry off and dress so having the bed right there would certainly save steps .....and time! :)

Walking that 10 feet back to my bedroom is so TIRING! LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

He went with the house? Bonus feature?

hfallada wrote: »
    And a belief that all landlords are tax dodgers is extremely outdated too. A majority of landlords pay tax on their incomes. You are more likely to see a doctor on a revenues tax defaulter list than a landlord.

Rent allowance simply isnt enough for most properties. There is barely any difference in the amount given for a social welfare person renting in Dublin city center or a house in the middle of the country. Plus a tenant is paid the rent allowance and not the landlord. A landlord can have a tenant keeping the rent from the them. And 1: its impossible for him to evict the tenant

2:Rent allowance is just too much work for no gain
    Candie wrote: »
    3: No, it's often because you're required to commit for long periods to having your property in the local authority pool, and 4:have little say about the tenants. It's just a bit of a blind risk.

It's reasonable enough to want to retain some flexibility, but thats not to say that some of them aren't just avoiding complications with the taxman.

1: What difference is it to the landlord whether it's retained RA or not? If someone isn't paying their rent regardless, they should be evicted.

2: You're a landlord. Your business is to rent properties. "The hassle" as I've seen is filling out one form per tenancy annually.

3: What are you on about? The is the first time I have ever heard of a "Local Authority Pool"

4: Sorry, but this is utter b*llocks. Are you saying landlords that accept RA have absolutely no choice who moves in to their properties? What if 15 people view it? Do they have to accept the first person? Again, what are you on about?

Jesus, the RA issue has me weeping.

The PRTB has all information on Landlords. Why can't RA be processed through them? No need to involve the landlord at all in that case. Any rental properties should be accessible to RA. It's criminal that there are so few properties out there under the caps and such a small amount of those accept RA.

Sorry for being ridiculously off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Rent allowance simply isnt enough for most properties. There is barely any difference in the amount given for a social welfare person renting in Dublin city center or a house in the middle of the country. Plus a tenant is paid the rent allowance and not the landlord. A landlord can have a tenant keeping the rent from the them. And its impossible for him to evict the tenant

Rent allowance is just too much work for no gain

That's incorrect, I was on rent allowance briefly last year and the payment went directly to the landlord and the difference collected from me.
    Just saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

He went with the house? Bonus feature?
    Anus feature! (almost!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Landlords are required to sign a contract with the relevant council/corporation for a set period of time e.g. 5 years. I don't think they have a lot of control over the choice of tenants in that period. A landlord in high demand areas can pick and choose, and ask for a higher rent, so why bother?

This is incorrect people are mixing up two completely different schemes. Rent allowance is quite common and standard leases are used as the landlord would normally use. Most often the 'rent' is paid to tenants who pass it onto landlords and offten have to top it off themselves. Obv. there CAN be issues with tenants who refuse to pay landlords and keep the rent allowance for themselves.

The main issue here is the difficulty of eviction by landlords, if it were easier it would be better for all decent folk..... probably!

The fixed term (min 4yrs) that people are referring to is called the RAS scheme. A landlord willing signs up to this by choice and the council house people in the property. The landlord is paid a fixed amount regardless of whether the property is empty or occupied. The rent paid to the landlord is generally lower then the market rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

1: What difference is it to the landlord whether it's retained RA or not? If someone isn't paying their rent regardless, they should be evicted.

2: You're a landlord. Your business is to rent properties. "The hassle" as I've seen is filling out one form per tenancy annually.

3: What are you on about? The is the first time I have ever heard of a "Local Authority Pool"

4: Sorry, but this is utter b*llocks. Are you saying landlords that accept RA have absolutely no choice who moves in to their properties? What if 15 people view it? Do they have to accept the first person? Again, what are you on about?

Jesus, the RA issue has me weeping.

The PRTB has all information on Landlords. Why can't RA be processed through them? No need to involve the landlord at all in that case. Any rental properties should be accessible to RA. It's criminal that there are so few properties out there under the caps and such a small amount of those accept RA.

Sorry for being ridiculously off topic.

If it was as simple as you say it is. Then all LLs would happily take RA. But it is hard work. You have to trust the tenant to pay you their rent allowance as rent allowance is given to the tenant and not the LL. If your working tenant becomes unemployed and goes onto RA. You have to wait several months before their application is approved and you are paid. There is no certainty that you will be paid.

The "hassle" is having to chase a tenant. RA tenants are a lot more work than a employee who has their rent on a standing order. I know a family friend who had to go with Garda monthly to their apartment to collect RA, the tenant was always off their head. The LL had to pray that the rent allowance wasnt spent already. Thats an unnecessary hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

If it was as simple as you say it is. Then all LLs would happily take RA. But it is hard work. You have to trust the tenant to pay you their rent allowance as rent allowance is given to the tenant and not the LL. If your working tenant becomes unemployed and goes onto RA. You have to wait several months before their application is approved and you are paid. There is no certainty that you will be paid.

The "hassle" is having to chase a tenant. RA tenants are a lot more work than a employee who has their rent on a standing order. I know a family friend who had to go with Garda monthly to their apartment to collect RA, the tenant was always off their head. The LL had to pray that the rent allowance wasnt spent already. Thats an unnecessary hassle
    But surely people with jobs skip out on their rent too? The whole situation needs to be changed so that landlords recieve RA directly, which makes sense, and so they recieve it quickly. The last thing I want now approaching a LL asking them to accept RA from me is for them to be out of pocket.

But surely people with jobs skip out on their rent too? The whole situation needs to be changed so that landlords recieve RA directly, which makes sense, and so they recieve it quickly. The last thing I want now approaching a LL asking them to accept RA from me is for them to be out of pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

This thread used to be funny! :mad:

While the discussion about Rent allowance is worthwhile one it is maybe better suited to another thread and perhaps even another forum.

While the discussion about Rent allowance is worthwhile one it is maybe better suited to another thread and perhaps even another forum.

Apologies, my fault :D Back to the funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Here here, gone way off track!! Back to the funnies people! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

The area is amazing, I lived about a 1 minute walk from that spot a year ago. Considering "nice" 2 beds in the area are now heading into 1400-1600 territory(near 40% rise), there will be people who take it at that price.

I'd rather live in a nice place in a slightly rundown area than a shíthole in an amazing area, TBH. Who cares what the surroundings are like when you live in a depressing abode? Don't get the postcode fixation myself, but lots of people buy into it.

I'm about to move into an apartment in Ashtown, and my landlord was telling me that in the boom, the apartments were advertised as being in Castleknock. :D To appeal to eejits who care about that kind of thing, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I'd rather live in a nice place in a slightly rundown area than a shíthole in an amazing area, TBH. Who cares what the surroundings are like when you live in a depressing abode? Don't get the postcode fixation myself, but lots of people buy into it.

That particular place was beyond depressing, with the nylon bedcovers, last seen in your great great grandmothers time. Shudder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

That particular place was beyond depressing, with the nylon bedcovers, last seen in your great great grandmothers time. Shudder.

I think I've seen it before. If I rightly recall, it surfaces on daft fairly regularly, which is always a bad sign of a gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

GenieOz wrote: »

Well, not only is there a "winter salon", there is also a wine storage area! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

£45000 pw fees apply :pac:

£45000 pw fees apply :pac:

well you hardly expect the bins to be included for that price! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I know that "neutral" is recommended for renting purposes but every single room looks the EXACT same! That would drive me mad, its just so blah

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Can someone explain to me who in their right mind would rent a place for this kind of money?
    Even the biggest players in the London Stock Exchange or whatever it is called would have their finance dept on the door step as soon as the cheque is cleared. Or am I naive and have no clue how much money people have:confused:

You could have an apartment in best (most poshy) hotels in the City for that kind of money I guess if You wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

wonski wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me who in their right mind would rent a place for this kind of money?
    Even the biggest players in the London Stock Exchange or whatever it is called would have their finance dept on the door step as soon as the cheque is cleared. Or am I naive and have no clue how much money people have:confused:

You could have an apartment in best (most poshy) hotels in the City for that kind of money I guess if You wanted.

The same kind of people who can spend 50 milliion on an aprtment without batting an eyelid. Russian Oligarch and Middle Eastern Royalty. Oil Men basically.

• Advertisement

That couch and chair..good jaysus.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement