Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Houses/Flats to rent

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Sorry if it's already been posted but WTF is going on with this kitchen ? It's making me dizzy trying to figure it out..

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/flat-8-no-43-grosvenor-road-rathgar-dublin-6-rathgar-dublin/1443527/

Referring to pic 6

It's a mirror, the room seems to be partitioned into some sort of an L shape. I'm curious about why the partitioning doesn't actually seem to go flush to the wall to the right of the sink. Is that toaster being shared with someone else on the other side?

Communal toaster hiding behind the wall folks.

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/forster-court-galway-city-centre-galway/1445475/

Lovely dining table to have a romantic meal for one and stare at beautiful view that is the wall.

When I was looking for a new place I decided to give that place a look just to see if the pictures did it justice. It really was a hovel with no space to move. Two people would have trouble sending up inside at the same time and the spiel the landlord spouted was ridicolous. They referred to it as metropolitan living on a Mediterranean budget. We got a four bedroom house with loads of space for not all that much compared to what you got there. Think you'd go mad living in such a cramped dump. You couldn't invite people over and there's no comfort at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

We lived in a hovel in Dublin's north inner city. The landlord put up the rent three times in two years despite not doing a tap of work on the place. It was grand at first as it was rather shabby but handy for the city centre but he was asking mental money for a cramped flat with three of us living on top of one another. Like your friend, we never knew when the landlord would visit so there could be a couple of thousand in rent money knocking about the place. Sometimes he'd send someone round in his place that we didn't know from Adam and be expected to hand over the money in the hopes that he really was there on behalf of the landlord. No official correspondence with him either - wouldn't sign anything and refused to give an address for tax rebate purposes. I was very glad to get out of there.

Glad to hear you are out of that situation. It sounds horrible.

Why do I click into this thread every couple of weeks. It makes me so fucking angry every time.
    It's not nice seeing people (who can ill afford it ) being ripped off! :mad:

and I'm not even in market...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Complete with an escape hatch above the bed! :cool:
    That's an extra safety feature so you can hide when the zombie apocalypse hits. Adds a few €€'s onto the rent but better to be safe than sorry :P

• Advertisement

We lived in a hovel in Dublin's north inner city. The landlord put up the rent three times in two years despite not doing a tap of work on the place. It was grand at first as it was rather shabby but handy for the city centre but he was asking mental money for a cramped flat with three of us living on top of one another. Like your friend, we never knew when the landlord would visit so there could be a couple of thousand in rent money knocking about the place. Sometimes he'd send someone round in his place that we didn't know from Adam and be expected to hand over the money in the hopes that he really was there on behalf of the landlord. No official correspondence with him either - wouldn't sign anything and refused to give an address for tax rebate purposes. I was very glad to get out of there.
    Back when I was young and naive, the first place I moved into was with three other girls. It was a bit of a dump but we didn't care. The landlord worked in the university and we thought he was sound. The other girls went home at weekends but I was working the late shift in Supermacs so stayed there. I'll never forget been woken up at 10 in the morning by the landlord walking into my bedroom. He obviously thought the house would be empty. I asked him what he was doing and he said he was just checking the place. He had a good wander around and left. He came over unannounced another time and informed us that the cooker needed cleaning.

His visits unsettled us and we all ended up leaving. If it happened now I would read him the riot act but back then we didn't know that landlords can't just walk in whenever they want. I met the new tenants the day I was moving out and warned them about him. I don't think it was needed though as they seemed to be a lot more clued in then we were and they looked like rocker types. I would love to have been a fly on the wall if the landlord decided to make a spot check on them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

Sorry if it's already been posted but WTF is going on with this kitchen ? It's making me dizzy trying to figure it out..

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/flat-8-no-43-grosvenor-road-rathgar-dublin-6-rathgar-dublin/1443527/

Referring to pic 6

Not sure why all the negativity to this place... I mean there is enough room to store an elephant in there (Pic 5)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

retalivity wrote: »
    I think theres a trend of having the shower in the bedroom. Its the new decking. Still, only 250.
    http://www.daft.ie/lettings/20-castletroy-heights-castletroy-limerick/1446212/&ea=1#img=2

In the name of godge...the hole in the wall beside the 'kitchen' for a 'bedroom'

The shower 'cubicle' thrown in the corner..

Looking back at the the number of 'bed sits' with stuck on descriptions such as studio / room / apartment (?) is ludicrous

Certain 'Bedsits' were supposedly made illegal back in February and yet many are been openly advertised with minimal facilities. Only yesterday the league of slum landlords (as opposed to their more decent brethren) called for all the 'illegal' bedsits to be put back on the market to help solve (!) the housing crisis - how many people I wonder could you actually squeeze into a bedsit. Reminds me of scenes from Strumpet City...

h_slums_overcrowdT.jpg

'Bedsits are history' .......

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/bedsit-rental-prices-779134-Feb2013/

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dossier

Looking for females only

"To shere a rum wit a guy from romrnie. My inglish not god want lern"

Sharing a bunk bed (or maybe a bunk!) with a cute Romrnien guy for just €800: form an orderly queue now ladies!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

dossier wrote: »
    Looking for females only

Sharing a bunk bed (or maybe a bunk!) with a cute Romrnien guy for just €800: form an orderly queue now ladies!
    In fairness it says a guy in the ad description. 800 quid to share a bunk bed though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dossier

In fairness it says a guy in the ad description. 800 quid to share a bunk bed though!

It says that he is a guy, correct. So he is looking for a female to share with him....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

It says that he is a guy, correct. So he is looking for a female to share with him....

Who gets to go on top? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Misread his amazing english. Looking for a bird to come in, share his bunk and pay the full rent for the apartment so he lives for free. Good luck with that man!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Misread his amazing english. Looking for a bird to come in, share his bunk and pay the full rent for the apartment so he lives for free. Good luck with that man!

He is being pretty realistic too, with it only being available for a month. No doubt that's as long as a girl will last before moving out.
    It's also wheelchair accessible, so you better hope that he is on the top bunk...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

should i be suspicious of this place?

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/sundays-well-road-shanakiel-cork/1365924/

been up since last year and no pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I used to live in Antwerp, Belgium when I was young and some of my family still live there. Renting is the norm and the market is regulated in the sense that the prices can only increase according to inflation. Out of curiosity I googled the rental market and it really puts Ireland to shame.
    Just type in Antwerpen, appartementen te huur and look at the websites.
    Most flats come unfurnished and have the walls painted white but tenants decorate to their own taste. I know lots of families that stay at one address for many years, only moving when they need more space or are downsizing. I'm sure most other eu countries are the same.

I used to live in Antwerp, Belgium when I was young and some of my family still live there. Renting is the norm and the market is regulated in the sense that the prices can only increase according to inflation. Out of curiosity I googled the rental market and it really puts Ireland to shame.
    Most flats come unfurnished and have the walls painted white but tenants decorate to their own taste. I know lots of families that stay at one address for many years, only moving when they need more space or are downsizing. I'm sure most other eu countries are the same.
    In a land of professional landlords and good regulation - yes, in Ireland (& UK) NO!

I hate when a place says central heating (which I imagine to be oil and radiators) and it turns out it's actually storage heaters they have. There is a huge difference between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I've rented and then bought in the Netherlands and the difference in quality and price between here and Ireland is incredible.

For example, this is what 700 euro per month will get you in Amsterdam: http://www.funda.nl/huur/amsterdam/appartement-48005553-peelstraat-2/

Contrast that with sharing a bunkbed with a Romanian guy only seeking a female roommate for 800 month!

The Irish market, in the cities, is appalling. Slumlords abound.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gurl88

I've rented and then bought in the Netherlands and the difference in quality and price between here and Ireland is incredible.

For example, this is what 700 euro per month will get you in Amsterdam: ...

That would be a very good deal for a place in Amsterdam! If it was just that it would be rented out in no time.

However there is an extra service charge of 115 euro a month and it's only available for people over 55 with a special medical decleration.

• Advertisement

Looking for females only

Am I the only one who thought "that's a boardsie who wants to see if it shows up in AH"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

sunbabe08 wrote: »

I would be suspicious of any place without pictures. Or that had been up for over a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

sunbabe08 wrote: »

In this case "recently renovated" probably means "barely hoovered".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,219 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

For example, this is what 700 euro per month will get you in Amsterdam: http://www.funda.nl/huur/amsterdam/appartement-48005553-peelstraat-2/

Contrast that with sharing a bunkbed with a Romanian guy only seeking a female roommate for 800 month!

The Irish market, in the cities, is appalling. Slumlords abound.

I'm paying that much for a place that's the size of the kitchen. I'm so far from the city centre, I'm in another county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Oh it breaks my heart looking on daft for rental properties. I'm neither in a position to, nor ready to buy. Why must I live in a hovel. Or pay 50-60% of my salary for a decent gaff. Long term tenancies are unheard of in Ireland. And unfurnished ? Forget it.

We got lucky a few years ago and found a 3 bed house 15 mins from town for a grand a month. It's quite run down, but we've made the best of it. I know for a fact that it's not registered with PRTB, has no Ber rating, no double glazing, and we've no tenancy agreement. Getting any repairs done is a nightmare, we most often have to do them ourselves. On the plus side we also don't have a deposit tied up in the place. Would love to rent a nice little "blank canvas" apartment or house, long term lease and unfurnished. Sadly it doesn't look like that'll happen in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

gurl88 wrote: »
    That would be a very good deal for a place in Amsterdam! If it was just that it would be rented out in no time.

However there is an extra service charge of 115 euro a month and it's only available for people over 55 with a special medical decleration.

Fair enough! But my partner shared a similiar apartment (although 2 bedroom) in the next area over for the same amount of rent, until I moved over. There's plenty of places like that to be had in Amsterdam, that's just the first one I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

There's nothing wrong with this as such but the decor is fantastically old fashioned. Check out the TV!

http://www.daft.ie/sales/cloughan-street-oldcastle-meath/731658/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

There's nothing wrong with this as such but the decor is fantastically old fashioned. Check out the TV!

Mary where's me dinner, haven't you lit the range yet? Is there any other cooking facilities? Old fashioned isn't the word, antique maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

The carpet in picture 5! Oh that's super grim.
    There's retro, and then there's this gaff :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Mary where's me dinner, haven't you lit the range yet? Is there any other cooking facilities? Old fashioned isn't the word, antique maybe?

Don't knock it till you've tried it. I used to live in a house that had one of those old ranges. Pretty easy to cook with once you get over the absence of digital this & LED that. As a bonus when you put a pizza in the oven you felt like the "fireman" on an old locomotive. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement