Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Houses/Flats to rent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Jake1 wrote: »

Ugly ass house. Substantial footprint mind. 2 exterior shots of house, 3 interior, and 7 shots of the grass and stables. The mind boogles.

Thoie wrote: »
    I like the free form headboard. "Imagine if there was a bed here".
    Looks like the estate agent turned up a day too early.

Ugly ass house. Substantial footprint mind. 2 exterior shots of house, 3 interior, and 7 shots of the grass and stables. The mind boogles.
    The house is worthless, it's the land/site that's for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

Don't forget dad in photo 9.

that's the free workman lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

A lovely little fixer upper. 8 grand gets ye the keys....:cool: :eek:

http://www.property.ie/property-for-sale/St-Brigids-Battery-Road-Athlone-Co-Westmeath/1019870/#img=1

Tommy Hilfiger store a 5 minute walk away according to the map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

The Celtic Tiger in 11 photos.

Those should be in an exhibition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

conorh91 wrote: »
    The Celtic Tiger in 11 photos.

Those should be in an exhibition.

I think it's a shame. You can see where the original 2 up, 2 down farm house was initially extended in the cross shape, then all the extras like the front bay and the 1 storey extension out the back was added. Plus you have an established orchard.

You'd wonder about the story of this place - was it an inherited farm, extended originally before or after the dreadful factory was built? Was the factory built on their land? Why was the house extended again and who for? It's probably a typical Irish story at this stage, whatever the history was.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thats not a factory its a mini-skyscraper shaped shopping centre and hotel in the middle of Athlone.

Shrap wrote: »
    I think it's a shame. You can see where the original 2 up, 2 down farm house was initially extended in the cross shape, then all the extras like the front bay and the 1 storey extension out the back was added. Plus you have an established orchard.

You'd wonder about the story of this place - was it an inherited farm, extended originally before or after the dreadful factory was built? Was the factory built on their land? Why was the house extended again and who for? It's probably a typical Irish story at this stage, whatever the history was.
    Yes, I never copped the original house, but the view is from the south of the golden Island shopping centre and the tall building in the background is the Sheraton hotel and the buildings in the foreground are part of the Golden Island shopping centre. The one on the left, I think is the back of the IMC Cinema or Tesco's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Tesco's.

Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

The house is worthless, it's the land/site that's for sale.

Hmm even if that is the case they are not selling it well. Anytime I have seen a site for sale, there has been a map indicated road it is on, size of site and connected services.

Hmm even if that is the case they are not selling it well. Anytime I have seen a site for sale, there has been a map indicated road it is on, size of site and connected services.
    What I mean is that the house is most likely to be demolished and replaced, and as a replacement, any new building will have an easier path through planning than a greenfield site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Ok so it's for sale, not to let. But throwing this up here anyway.

Whoever built this house must have spent some time locked up and missed it after they were released. What a hideous building.

http://www.daft.ie/1732473

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Tzardine wrote: »

Whoever built this house must have spent some time locked up and missed it after they were released. What a hideous building.

The inside is gorgeous! I really want to know why the designed the exterior in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Fabulous house, OK the exterior is ugly but the inside would more than make up for it for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Looks like bomb shelter.

That a young female trying to escape in the window in first one.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

It's a fine example of brutalist architecture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Looks like Hitler's Bunker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Possible planning issues in the past created it like so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Granted the inside is nice but I could not live with the exterior, it's just too ugly.

It boggles the mind how somebody could come up with that design and think they did a good job.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    Possible planning issues in the past created it like so?
    Quite likely, in some of the external shots, it almost disappears.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

It looks a bit like a Grand Designs project gone wrong. Could be saved if you lashed some turf and seed on the roof and painted the walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

Am I seeing things or is there some sort of weird dog - wheelchair hybrid in the front garden in a couple of shots?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

House looks 30 years old tops (although it could be something older and extended). How the feck did it get in that bad nick inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

Granted the inside is nice but I could not live with the exterior, it's just too ugly.

It boggles the mind how somebody could come up with that design and think they did a good job.

it's an architectural thing. architects love exposed concrete, it's actually the ultimate design:) (not joking)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭dmc17

tara73 wrote: »
    it's an architectural thing. architects love exposed concrete, it's actually the ultimate design in laziness :) (not joking)

Sure I could have designed that abomination myself :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Archeron wrote: »
    Am I seeing things or is there some sort of weird dog - wheelchair hybrid in the front garden in a couple of shots?

Was wondering about that myself. He must have got caught up in the hay baling machine or something. It looks homemade though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Was wondering about that myself. He must have got caught up in the hay baling machine or something. It looks homemade though.

So does the house :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

dmc17 wrote: »
    Sure I could have designed that abomination myself :pac:

There must be something they can do to the outside...it is like an eastern bloc gaff from the 50s.

Throw a thatched roof on it or something...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I dunno. I always look at it that I'll generally be inside the house looking out, not sitting outside looking at the house.
    Archeron wrote: »

Ah, poor paralysed doggie!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement