Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Houses/Flats to rent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

conorh91 wrote: »
    That's pretty standard in that area, where space is tight

Of the 4 places i rented in Dublin, only the current one has its own washing machine. Communal laundry rooms are common in Georgian houses that are converted into flats. It's just a space issue.

I think it is the quality of the laundry room we have an issue with, not its existence;)

That chair is probably used to lock the door of the washing machine:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I like the candid shot of all those electricity meters. Swanky.

One of them is even called "Fiacra" :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Aglomerado wrote: »
    One of them is even called "Fiacra" :D:D

Typical D4 wannabe electricity meter. The one beside it is probably Sorcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

redbel05 wrote: »
    I know that its not renting, but thought people here might appreciate this. I was looking up bed and breakfasts or hotels to stay in for a last minute couple days away, only to find this place on booking. com. Imagine paying almost €90 per night midweek to for this. The funny thing about it is that when I showed my mum the place, she said that she had stayed there in the 80s and that it hasnt changed a bit since then- right down to the curtains :D

Oh wow, crying chair totally needed there for whoever pays to stay there !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭blackwhite

kerash wrote: »

Is it just me, or do the steps in the back garden look like a block-lined grave? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

blackwhite wrote: »
    Is it just me, or do the steps in the back garden look like a block-lined grave? :eek:

That's where you'll end up if you go tampering with Fiacra's meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

The photos are a flash photos taken of a PC screen.

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/14-upper-pembroke-st-dublin-2-dublin/1566406/

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

Either that or theres some weird ghost orb stuff going on there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I have so many questions

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

I have so many questions

A microwave right next to the couch? Who in their right mind would question a genius combination like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

That is a very innapropriate use of the word 'beautiful'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

The Original Crying Chair is back....for 'Strictly one person only' :pac:

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/4-lower-mt-pleasant-ave-ranelagh-dublin/1566012/
    What an absolute fúckin hovel ... I despair ...

I notice that the landlord leaves no details apart from the name Ed.

I was wondering about the BER of the place - I see that it is listed as being "BER Exempt". I can't see how it could be BER exempt as the only buildings that can be exempted are:
    SEAI wrote:
    • national monuments;
    • protected structures;
    • places of worship or buildings used for the religious activities of any religion;
    • certain temporary buildings;
    • non-residential industrial or agricultural buildings with a low installed heating capacity (less than 10 W/m2);
    • stand alone buildings with a small useful floor area (less than 50m2).
    Unless "Ed" is using it to worship Mammon, or he is declaring that it is non-residential i.e. not fit for human habitation. And judging by the state of it - he's right.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/5-eden-park-glasthule-dun-laoghaire-dublin/1567542/

So.... would you really need 4 seats to eat in that dump?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

inforfun wrote: »

The kitchen is cute in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

inforfun wrote: »

Maybe you can place your three favourite teddy bears on the other chairs and pretend you are having a tea party. Later on, you will cry and wonder where it all went wrong.

Also, it might be the photo, but that bed looks tiny. As in, for a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

serfboard wrote: »
    I notice that the landlord leaves no details apart from the name Ed.

I don't think that's unusual or suspicous. I wouldn't want to be identified on the internet, if it's a great building or a sh** one.
    I was wondering about the BER of the place - I see that it is listed as being "BER Exempt". I can't see how it could be BER exempt as the only buildings that can be exempted are:

i'm not completely familiar with irish BER regulation but I can imagine it is BER excempt. It 's a victorian building with sached windows, so probably listed.
    To give a building a good BER rating you need to insulate the facade and the roof complety and for a very good BER you would need to install double or triple glazed windows.

A facade insulation will alter the victorian outlook of the building completely. There are possibilities to imitate the brick facade but I've never seen this is used in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

tara73 wrote: »
    i'm not completely familiar with irish BER regulation

OK. Here's the legislation for you.

The only possibilities for exemption are for:
    (1) a national monument
    (2) a protected structure or proposed protected structure within the meaning of the Planning and Development Act 2000;
    (3) a building used as a place of worship or for the religious activities of any religion;
    (4) a temporary building as defined in Classes 10 to 13 of the Third Schedule to the Building Regulations 1997 (S.I. No. 497 of 1997);
    (5) an industrial building not intended for human occupancy over extended periods and where the installed heating capacity does not exceed 10 W/m2;
    (6) a non-residential agricultural building where the installed heating capacity does not exceed 10 W/m2;
    (7) a stand alone building with a total useful floor area of less than 50 m2.
    It seems to me that the only one that could apply is the protected structure bit.
    tara73 wrote: »
    I can imagine it is BER excempt. It 's a victorian building with sached windows, so probably listed. To give a building a good BER rating you need to insulate the facade and the roof complety and for a very good BER you would need to install double or triple glazed windows.

A facade insulation will alter the victorian outlook of the building completely. There are possibilities to imitate the brick facade but I've never seen this is used in Ireland.
    It's great that a "protected structure" can be used by a landlord to not do what they should do (i.e. ensure that a place is adequately insulated for any poor unfortunates who might have to live there) , but "protected structure" status wouldn't count for diddly squat if the same landlord wanted to flatten the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

It seems to me that the only one that could apply is the protected structure bit.

yes, that's what I meant in my first post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

It's sad but the depressing "studios" posted here really don't look that bad in the context of getting to live alone. The only ones that really seem dreadful are the shared rooms and bed-under-the-stairs type illegal houseshares.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/rope-walk-sundays-well-cork-city-centre-cork/1566678/

Pic 10 seems to have a room just for the crying chair with massive tv to watch

• Advertisement

pogsick wrote: »
    http://www.daft.ie/lettings/rope-walk-sundays-well-cork-city-centre-cork/1566678/

That's a nice space you could work with. Pic 10 is just a spare room. Honestly there's nothing wrong with that house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

That's a class house, I would've jumped at it when I was looking for a place in Cork a few years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

A rethink of the name "rope walk" wouldnt go astray mind. Implies imminent danger :)

dee_mc wrote: »
    That's a class house, I would've jumped at it when I was looking for a place in Cork a few years ago!

Nice area too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

failinis wrote: »
    Looks like a cocktail bar reincarnation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

It's great that a "protected structure" can be used by a landlord to not do what they should do (i.e. ensure that a place is adequately insulated for any poor unfortunates who might have to live there) , but "protected structure" status wouldn't count for diddly squat if the same landlord wanted to flatten the place.

Do you have an example? I've seen plenty of places around Dublin where they've demolished the building but have had to protect the facade. Is that what you're referring to? I'm not sure of the details in those cases but maybe you're more familiar?

BTW I live in a listed building (UK equivalent of protected structure) from the middle of the 19th century in Edinburgh and have no problems with insulation. My energy bills are quite reasonable, even with single glaze sash windows.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

That's the entertainment centre.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

That's not a crying chair. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

^Looks ok to me .Rent would be much higher in Central Dublin .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement