Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Houses/Flats to rent

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

KKkitty wrote: »
    I really hope that's not a shared sitting room :(
    It isn't, it's a bedroom with a couch. Presumably, it was formerly a spare sitting room which is now a bedroom.

It's a shared house, the ad says the tenant will have "Use of large living/TV room and garden" as well as a "Modern kitchen and living area".

For €500, with an ensuite, in a nice area, it's a fair price. Not too cheap, not too dear. Only downside is sharing with the house owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

It would also appear that there is a washing machine in the bathroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It would also appear that there is a washing machine in the bathroom.
    Don't think that's really a bad thing though? In the mother's house, she has had the washing machine in the downstairs bathroom for years and years (had a shower in it too, when I was in my teens and was in the downstairs bathroom). Only downside was that you couldn't leave the bathroom door closed when the dryer was on, or you would be walking into a sauna afterwards... though it came in so handy one freezing winter where the heating was broken for about two weeks! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

It's not the end of the world, probably a good idea if space is at a premium. Wouldn't bother me but then again I'm not a fussy person. Some people probably would be severely put out by such an arrangement though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

conorh91 wrote: »
    It isn't, it's a bedroom with a couch. Presumably, it was formerly a spare sitting room which is now a bedroom.

It's a shared house, the ad says the tenant will have "Use of large living/TV room and garden" as well as a "Modern kitchen and living area".

For €500, with an ensuite, in a nice area, it's a fair price. Not too cheap, not too dear. Only downside is sharing with the house owners.

Agree with htis. It is a sharing place, not an own apartment though, therefore the reasonable price. And I think it's a good thing they put a sofa and table in it, normally there's only a bed, a closet and a drawer in the rooms which feels like a hotel room.
    The washing machine in the ensuite is a bit of an issue, but then flatmates with a minimum of consideration shouldn't wash at the odd hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Given the horror stories you hear of Dublin house hunting that Dun Laoighre place looked decent value.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I'm using this thread to find a home actually. I'm not joking.

eternal wrote: »

I think it's the biggest joke ever:) how do you think you find a decent place in this? I mean, sure, if you have masochistic tendencies, it makes sense...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

You just thanked that post saying the room looked ok now I'm masochistic, which is it?

You just thanked that post saying the room looked ok now I'm masochistic, which is it?
    I think that he was referring to all the other shítholes that have been "outed" here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I agree. In the context of finding somewhere to live alone in Dublin on a mediocre budget I think there have been some viable options! It's sad that that's the case but that's the reality of the situation at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭SystemsGuy

Call me crazy but there's something unsettling about having a ****ing toilet looking straight into the kitchen. http://www.daft.ie/sharing/61-upper-dorset-st-dublin-1-dublin/834346/#img=5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

SystemsGuy wrote: »
    Call me crazy but there's something unsettling about having a ****ing toilet looking straight into the kitchen. http://www.daft.ie/sharing/61-upper-dorset-st-dublin-1-dublin/834346/#img=5

I don't agree. At least you can keep an eye on the sausages so they don't burn while you having a dump!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

These days I would just be thankful the toilet isnt in the kitchen.

to be fair I think it isn't the biggest issue, there's a hallway in between the toilet and the kitchen with doors.
    but am I right in guessing the covered 'thing' is supposed to be the bed? a folded bed...standing there on the tiles. probably opposite of the kitchenete...how cosy.
    and not to oversee the collection of our typical crying chairs..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

tara73 wrote: »
    to be fair I think it isn't the biggest issue, there's a hallway in between the toilet and the kitchen with doors.
    but am I right in guessing the covered 'thing' is supposed to be the bed? a folded bed...standing there on the tiles. probably opposite of the kitchenete...how cosy.
    and not to oversee the collection of our typical crying chairs..:D

A camp out bed not even a fold out sofa. fook sake agree probably 2 doors between toilet and kitchen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Citroen2cv

The fang shui is all wrong.

In fairness though, €185 per month and no deposit? I've lived in worse dives in my student days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Dont know but something tells me you ll have to share that space with the 3 people already living there.

Knowing the lovely rental market here a bit, you ll not have that space for yourself for €185 a month.

http://i.gyazo.com/8b4532b9fdd91a36b4a54343e05d440b.png

(This thread needs more gyazo users btw... it is free and even the most illiterate pc users should be able to make screen shots with it.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

This should mean that this thread will keep going for the next few years
    PROPOSALS TO REDUCE minimum apartment sizes in Dublin city have been slated as a sign the council is giving into pressure from the construction industry.
    A draft development plan for 2016 to 2022 which was sent to councillors proposes to reduce the minimum size for apartments by nearly 20% by introducing a so-called ‘studio’ apartment. It also indicates the council would allow up to 30% of apartments in a development to be single bed units.

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    [This should mean that this thread will keep going for the next few years
    Was very disappointed to see Ronan Lyons of daft.ie throwing his support behind plans for smaller apartments. Back before he joined daft, Lyons was a really authoritative voice on the economics of real estate in Ireland. Now he just comes across as a shill for the construction industry.

He wrote an op-ed in Village magazine last year calling for the government to give the green light to shoebox apartment regulations, for the betterment of "Ireland inc" (horrible term)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/house-share/foxrock/108-foxrock-avenue-foxrock-dublin-834538/

870e a month to share a room with someone else, probably a stranger, it's a top country to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/house-share/foxrock/108-foxrock-avenue-foxrock-dublin-834538/

870e a month to share a room with someone else, probably a stranger, it's a top country to be fair
    By "own-door", "breakfast and evening meal" and that picture of a fridge in the bedroom, I presume the tenant is not welcome outside of his kennel 23 hours of the day? I presume they're expected to use the balcony to come and go.

€145 might be fair if the tenant had a single room in that area, but sharing with another? In Foxrock, which is miles away from anywhere a student would want to be?

The only thing more depressing than renting that shíthole is this: The idea that some chancer who regrets his idiotic mortgage could rip-off a couple of gullible students to the tune of nearly €300 per week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It's a five day week too, so you can **** off sharpish come Friday morning.
    Plenty of places similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

It's a five day week too, so you can **** off sharpish come Friday morning.
    Plenty of places similar.

Did the maths and he's priced it to juuust get under the €12k limit for the rent a room scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

conorh91 wrote: »
    By "own-door", "breakfast and evening meal" and that picture of a fridge in the bedroom, I presume the tenant is not welcome outside of his kennel 23 hours of the day? I presume they're expected to use the balcony to come and go.

€145 might be fair if the tenant had a single room in that area, but sharing with another? In Foxrock, which is miles away from anywhere a student would want to be?

The only thing more depressing than renting that shíthole is this: The idea that some chancer who regrets his idiotic mortgage could rip-off a couple of gullible students to the tune of nearly €300 per week.

It's obviously student digs. How much would digs cost these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

15 minutes from UCD, Trinity, Institute of Education, College of Surgeons, RCSI, DIT Kevin St., Aungier St, DBS, CICE

wow- very central!

15 minutes from UCD, Trinity, Institute of Education, College of Surgeons, RCSI, DIT Kevin St., Aungier St, DBS, CICE

wow- very central!

Bloody miraculous for a place in Cornelcourt too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

kylith wrote: »
    Bloody miraculous for a place in Cornelcourt too.

Ah to be fair, if you got a bus... and it didn't stop... and it got green lights all the way, you might get to Trinity in 15 minutes.

• Advertisement

Ah to be fair, if you got a bus... and it didn't stop... and it got green lights all the way, you might get to Trinity in 15 minutes.

As long as it travelled at about 80 the whole way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement