Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Houses/Flats to rent

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I
    Yxdwuтт ну яе

Sorry installed the Cyrillic alphabet on my phone there.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    This thread has made my mind up for me.
    I was in two minds about emigrating because I'm coming to the end of a lease and facing a major rent hike.

I've job offers in Dublin and several on the continent too. I was contemplating Dublin but the quality of accommodation is so bad I think I'll just get on the plane. The quality of housing is a big deal to me at this stage and I'm not going to live in some hovel or converted shed.

Even the mid priced places look terrible.

This. I'm moving to England next month and the standards of accommodation are much much higher. It's actually close to unlivable here for what people are asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

folamh wrote: »
    Same. Renting in Dublin seems more expensive than even London. There is no shortage of accommodation in London, for one thing, so demand and therefore cost is lower.

Back on topic: http://www.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare/flatshare_detail.pl?flatshare_id=3483704&search_id=233350773&city_id=&flatshare_type=offered&search_results=%2Fflatshare%2Findex.cgi%3F%26search_id%3D233350773%26offset%3D0%26sort_by%3Dprice_low_to_high&

"Free box room for a female"

"It is for the right girle in return of managing the property.
    Free of charge or bills
    You need to send some information about your self."

What makes them think the new flatmate, being a non-smoker would want to share with a smoker? Details from the advert below:

Current Household
    Smoker? Yes

New Flatmate Preference
    Smoker? No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Hopefully this link will work, it's on the 'Rent in Dublin' page on Facebook.

Why....the fcuk do all the photos look like they were taken with an indoor surveillance system. Including the bathroom :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

Kovu wrote: »

Why....the fcuk do all the photos look like they were taken with an indoor surveillance system. Including the bathroom :eek::eek:

I'd say they were taken with a selfie stick... Well I hope they were!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

snubbleste wrote: »
    Look at all those drink bottles!
    I assume that 9 people packed into one dorm flat @ €500pm = €4500pm
    http://www.daft.ie/21562068

I only sow this. I am sorry, but is tihs actually happening in Dublin?! Bunk beds for grown men and women and 500 per weekMonth to live with 3 other people in one room and 9 people in the house?

Somehow Sharing a 3 bedroom house with my buddy, each paying 310eu per month and each of us have a bedroom and own living room, does not sound so bad anymore.

Edit: My bad. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

I only sow this. I am sorry, but is tihs actually happening in Dublin?! Bunk beds for grown men and women and 500 per week to live with 3 other people in one room and 9 people in the house?

Somehow Sharing a 3 bedroom house with my buddy, each paying 310eu per month and each of us have a bedroom and own living room, does not sound so bad anymore.

I think it's 500 per month. still horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

Most of the places on that facebook page are grim....2-3 people squashed into one room!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

This. I'm moving to England next month and the standards of accommodation are much much higher. It's actually close to unlivable here for what people are asking.

Not accurate, in London and similar they're lower and/or more expensive.

It's all relative, and you can stay in Ireland and move rural if you want more space for less money too, same as England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

NTC wrote: »
    I'd say they were taken with a selfie stick... Well I hope they were!

Selfie stick me hole. :rolleyes:

Merv the perv must own that house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Selfie stick me hole. :rolleyes:

I would rather not thanks.

Originally Posted by BattleCorp
    Selfie stick me hole.
    I would rather not thanks.

Don't knock it until you try it. :pac:

Not accurate, in London and similar they're lower and/or more expensive.

It's all relative, and you can stay in Ireland and move rural if you want more space for less money too, same as England.

I'll be 40 mins from London and in cheaper-better quality accommodation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Big Brother is watching.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Probably used a gopro or some other camera with wide angle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

recyclebin wrote: »

People make me wonder! I suppose they figured that these pics would make the rooms look bigger...but instead they just look crap. :pac:

I'm thinking more along the lines that he is maybe a bit of a perv and the cameras are the pir/hidden camera types in the room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,707 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

ciaradx wrote: »
    Most of the places on that facebook page are grim....2-3 people squashed into one room!!

Almost all of them are like that, mostly students from abroad coming over to study.

Saw a great one on the group for a single room in a 2 bed apartment, says there's two lads living there already but one of them lives in the sitting room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

Menas wrote: »
    People make me wonder! I suppose they figured that these pics would make the rooms look bigger...but instead they just look crap make the landlord seem like a perv.
    FYP ;)

I'll be 40 mins from London and in cheaper-better quality accommodation.

Good move. I now live in much better, but still expensive, accommodation in Co. Wicklow. I love Dublin, but really enjoying life in a nice place outside the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

You can see the shadow of the camera used in one of the shots.

There are also two photos which show the corner another image is taken from, so no, it's not lifted CCTV pics.

They are, however, genuinely horrendous. It looks like viral marketing for a found footage horror movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Menas wrote: »
    People make me wonder! I suppose they figured that these pics would make the rooms look bigger...but instead they just look crap. :pac:

They came out poor alright, but to be fair to whoever took them they seemed to want people to see the entire room, which is refreshingly honest for a change. If the intention was the make the room look bigger though... :pac: indeed!

I don't have any photos of this place as it's just a description off my cousin who went to view the apartment itself in Dublin.
    Basically it's owner occupied and she wants to sublet the second bedroom, however she stipulated to my cousin that you cannot cook in the house. :eek: She said to him that you can use the kitchen to make tea/coffee and can have cereal etc but no cooking allowed. When he questioned how he'd live she told him there had been a German guy with her last year for three months and he ate takeaways outside or on the bus.

Like wtf, what kind of whackjob is she. Is that not illegal?? He got the number on Daft so I assume it's still up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Oh god. I feel really sad at the image of the German guy eating curry chips in the garden or on the bus now. That's mental.

Hope she gets someone who smiles and nods at her when she's explaining about 'no cooking' and on day one lashes on the most enormous, stinking curry and fries onions for a week

Lol, yea, the poor chap! She said he was supposed to be there all year but only lasted Sept to December....wonder why :P If those are the rules for the kitchen though, can you imagine the rest of the place. You'd be sat on your bed staring at the wall all evening. (It'd have to be a blank wall of course, no posters allowed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Live-in landlords are usually to be avoided.

I've heard nothing but bad experiences with them. They often only rent their room because of mortgage difficulties and the rent A Room Scheme, so they are almost never experienced landlords. They seem to often have an unrealistic view of property sharing, expecting tenants to be out of the house when they're out, and generally seeing their tenants as house guests who should be grateful.

That one about forcing tenants to eat in the garden beats the lot, though.

Did she not have a kennel to put that German guy in, and be done with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

wasn't there a one on here a while back that asked people to eat pork products outside for religious reason? that you can kind of understand whether you agree with it or not but a complete ban on cooking is insane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,449 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I don't have any photos of this place as it's just a description off my cousin who went to view the apartment itself in Dublin.
    Basically it's owner occupied and she wants to sublet the second bedroom, however she stipulated to my cousin that you cannot cook in the house. :eek: She said to him that you can use the kitchen to make tea/coffee and can have cereal etc but no cooking allowed. When he questioned how he'd live she told him there had been a German guy with her last year for three months and he ate takeaways outside or on the bus.

Like wtf, what kind of whackjob is she. Is that not illegal?? He got the number on Daft so I assume it's still up there.

So does she cook in the house herself? Or does she also sit out in the garden, eating takeaways? If so, what exactly does she think the kitchen is for? :confused: And if not, what's the problem with someone else using the kitchen for its intended purpose? :confused::confused:

The mind fairly boggles.....

I'd love if you could find the ad!

• Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

conorh91 wrote: »
    Live-in landlords are usually to be avoided.

I've heard nothing but bad experiences with them. They often only rent their room because of mortgage difficulties and the rent A Room Scheme, so they are almost never experienced landlords. They seem to often have an unrealistic view of property sharing, expecting tenants to be out of the house when they're out, and generally seeing their tenants as house guests who should be grateful.

That one about forcing tenants to eat in the garden beats the lot, though.

Did she not have a kennel to put that German guy in, and be done with it?

Live in landlords are to be avoided cause you are then not classed as a tenant and have pretty much no rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Another variation on the no cooking : unfortunately the ad is not live

www.daft.ie › ... › Dublin House Share › Dun Laoghaire House Share

Only for one person, no couples. NOTE: Only Vegetarian Cooking allowed in the kitchen. Non-vegetarian (Meat or fish) cooking not allowed. Fully Furnished.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement