Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Houses/Flats to rent

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    So does she cook in the house herself? Or does she also sit out in the garden, eating takeaways? If so, what exactly does she think the kitchen is for? :confused: And if not, what's the problem with someone else using the kitchen for its intended purpose? :confused::confused:

The mind fairly boggles.....

I'd love if you could find the ad!

I'll ask my cousin later and see if he can remember which one it was. I didn't believe him at first but he's not one to make things up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

We're sort of in preliminary house hunt mode at the moment (ie: look at Daft and get angry. Full on house hunt mode will involve looking at Daft and getting depressed) and some of the fiddly f*ckers out there would make you hulk out. One particular house in Wicklow was advertised, by the letting agent, as being 4 bed 'but one must be kept free for the landlord although he will never use it'. ie - the landlord is fiddling the rent a room scheme and you'll be complicit in this. Line has disappeared from ad, I live in hope that someone was on the ball in Revenue and got in touch to point out the 'tax fraud' nature of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I live in hope that someone was on the ball in Revenue and got in touch to point out the 'tax fraud' nature of that.
    Ha! Not a hope.

Yeah, I've been in the house share scenario where the tenant is not to be seen or heard... some people love getting rent and hate having tenants. Or as someone said earlier in the thread, expect the rent to be paid while you go live somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Do you have €25k to spare? If so, 4% of this house could be yours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Do you have €25k to spare? If so, 4% of this house could be yours

16% ROI sounds far too good to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭hanna200

I only sow this. I am sorry, but is tihs actually happening in Dublin?! Bunk beds for grown men and women and 500 per weekMonth to live with 3 other people in one room and 9 people in the house?

Somehow Sharing a 3 bedroom house with my buddy, each paying 310eu per month and each of us have a bedroom and own living room, does not sound so bad anymore.

Edit: My bad. Thank you.

I presume your house ISN'T located at the city centre (read: O'Connell Street)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Kovu wrote: »
    Lol, yea, the poor chap! She said he was supposed to be there all year but only lasted Sept to December....wonder why :P If those are the rules for the kitchen though, can you imagine the rest of the place. You'd be sat on your bed staring at the wall all evening. (It'd have to be a blank wall of course, no posters allowed)

Probably not allowed to sit on the bed either :D
    Next time I see (smell) a takeaway being eaten on the bus, I will spare a thought that the poor devil eating it isn't allowed to eat in the house he/ she is paying good money to exist :P in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

hanna200 wrote: »
    I presume your house ISN'T located at the city centre (read: O'Connell Street)?

I presume he doesn't mind walking,taking a bus or driving 2 hours a day in order to avoid living anywhere near this place (heart of the city etc):

oconnel street.png

wonski wrote: »
    I presume he doesn't mind walking,taking a bus or driving 2 hours a day in order to avoid living anywhere near this place (heart of the city etc):
    oconnel street.png

this is not the point. the location is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

hanna200 wrote: »
    this is not the point. the location is.

I think you are missing the point here.

We don't want places like this. They should be illegal. People in prisons have more own space to live.

It isn't Tokyo or New York ffs.

wonski wrote: »
    I think you are missing the point here.
    We don't want places like this. They should be illegal. People in prisons have more own space to live.
    It isn't Tokyo or New York ffs.

Relax, catch what I meant about location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Tbh it's a shyte location. I've worked in the area for nearly 10 years and I'd rather gouge out my own eyeballs than live here.

It's central but it's a kip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

We're sort of in preliminary house hunt mode at the moment (ie: look at Daft and get angry. Full on house hunt mode will involve looking at Daft and getting depressed) and some of the fiddly f*ckers out there would make you hulk out. One particular house in Wicklow was advertised, by the letting agent, as being 4 bed 'but one must be kept free for the landlord although he will never use it'. ie - the landlord is fiddling the rent a room scheme and you'll be complicit in this. Line has disappeared from ad, I live in hope that someone was on the ball in Revenue and got in touch to point out the 'tax fraud' nature of that.

Wasn't in Bray was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Wasn't in Bray was it?

No, but it was in Wicklow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

No, but it was in Wicklow

A friend of mine rented a house in Bray (Boghall road). The ad said not owner occupied and the landlord told them he didn't live there when showing them around. When my mate moved in, signed contracts ect he seen the landlord sleeping on the couch in the living room.

Turns out he did live there just not in a room. He reminded my mate that he could kick him out any time because he was a lodger and not a tenant. The room was disgusting too. Chancing bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

We're apartment hunting at the moment, looking for a two bedder. The places available on daft would depress you. Small, dirty and old yet with a hefty price tag.

And then when you do find a nice place you get the landlord putting all sorts of stipulations on the place like no couples or only 2 people for a large two double bed apartment.

We went to a viewing recently (organised it over the phone during the evening three days prior). We arrive at the place, are invited to have a look around. When we're done we have a chat with the L/L about how much we like the place and we're interested only for them to turn around and say it's gone. Was it rented to someone who viewed just before us? No, it had been gone since lunch time the day we organised the viewing (before we'd even rang them). The explanation provided was that they had to have a certain amount of viewings and they just thought we had to see the place. Like wtf??

awec wrote: »
    Live in landlords are to be avoided cause you are then not classed as a tenant and have pretty much no rights.
    Some of them know nothing about it. One when i went looking didn't put landlord occupied on the ad. Was taken aback at the very idea i might not want that kind of setup. Huh, why

Ah here

• Advertisement

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/house-share/fairview/richmond-road-fairview-dublin-837666/

9 people in that flat. Nine. F*cking people. And why in the f*ck is there a fridge in the room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

With 9 people in a house i suppose you are better off with your own fridge in your room than having to share the one in the kitchen with 8 other people.
    Each person can have about 1 carrot and the fridge is full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

That estate agent should lose his PSR license for facilitating tax evasion. I dont think AIB would have a banking license for long, if it was openly encouraging customers to open shady Cayman Island accounts for the purpose of tax evasion

I cant understand how you now need a 2 year course and 3 years experience to get an estate agents license, as to weed out the cowboys according to estate agents. Yet none of them will acknowledge, its the "cowboys" in the industry now that are the problem and never actually did a course to get their license. The new licensing laws are barriers to enter and not to improve estate agents in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/house-share/fairview/richmond-road-fairview-dublin-837666/

9 people in that flat. Nine. F*cking people. And why in the f*ck is there a fridge in the room?

And lovely mess-hall benches to sit on having dinner, be like you were away with the scouts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

That's a dorm, not a flat.

The sheer cheek of landlords in Dublin astounds me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

I think that house looks very nice. Plenty of space for nine people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah places like that are necessary in every country and thats the way to do it.

If there are adequate cooking and bathroom facilities for 9 people, fair enough. I lived in a houseshare of seven people, the kitchen was pretty much occupied from 5pm till midnight, and the bathroom with the one working shower too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

It says on the advert that you'd be sharing a bathroom with 3 people, so that probably implies that there are 3 bathrooms in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

One particular house in Wicklow was advertised, by the letting agent, as being 4 bed 'but one must be kept free for the landlord although he will never use it'. ie - the landlord is fiddling the rent a room scheme and you'll be complicit in this.

Ha, I was in a house with a similar situation a few years back. I always thought the stipulation was odd, but didn't really care as it was a lovely place, and the landlord was sound. Just wondering, though, I was claiming rent relief, I assume you can be a registered landlord and still fall under that scheme/fraud?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement