Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Houses/Flats to rent

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Billy86 wrote: »
    Photo 1: Oh, that's actually pretty decent.
    Photo 2: UUUUAAAGGHH, WHAT THE-
    Photo 3: Tarzana2 is going to pay for this. Somehow, sometime, Tarzana2 will pay.

I love for a laugh to get this one on one of those interior design programs to decorate a sitting room in a house.
    Perferably a big 40sq metre one.
    You give them loads of scope and a decent budget to really get their design "right".

It would be fecking priceless just to see the end reaction of owners.

I am not allowed discuss …

Am i missing something on that house pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

bluewolf wrote: »

Can you not see them? Ok, you're missing a most serious infestation of symmetrical bling, in gold and cream, with much Grecian effect and ruched/pouffed cream furniture (pearl buttons to boot). We have a prancing cream horse sculpture in front of the cream framed mirror, a chandelier and a marbled cream display cabinet full of porcelain ladies, with matching marbled cream coffee table, ALL in the one room of a standard 3 bedroom semi-D.

Quite an eyeful.

Oops, forgot the cream and pale gold damask wallpaper. 'K. Did I miss anything lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

Shrap wrote: »
    Can you not see them? Ok, you're missing a most serious infestation of symmetrical bling, in gold and cream, with much Grecian effect and ruched/pouffed cream furniture (pearl buttons to boot). We have a prancing cream horse sculpture in front of the cream framed mirror, a chandelier and a marbled cream display cabinet full of porcelain ladies, with matching marbled cream coffee table, ALL in the one room of a standard 3 bedroom semi-D.

Quite an eyeful.

Oops, forgot the cream and pale gold damask wallpaper. 'K. Did I miss anything lads?

yes, the kitchen...:pac:

why can't you see them, bluewolf...or are you joking..? would be a good joke, actually..:D

Well I mean I can see they're cluttered! I just wondered from the extreme reactions was there something really awful that got removed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ehhh yeah, taste.
    Well I mean I can see they're cluttered! I just wondered from the extreme reactions was there something really awful that got removed!!

I suggest you give yourself an infraction.

And maybe head to specsavers.
    They are doing deals at the moment.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

tara73 wrote: »
    yes, the kitchen...:pac:

why can't you see them, bluewolf...or are you joking..? would be a good joke, actually..:D

Kitchen not overloaded, and less fancy. Although that's quite a collection of a certain collection of china (not going to take a guess at which, but it's expensive!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

tara73 wrote: »
    even the cookies, or whatever it is, on the living room table have the same horrible colour as the rest..

They're decorative balls. It's just occurred to me how funny that sounds :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭bronn

I stared at the photo of the sitting room for so long (it was the shock) that I was certain one of the porcelain ladies moved. Yer one on the left with the purple frilly dress.

A MOVING STATUE, lads. This could be the next Knock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

bronn wrote: »
    I stared at the photo of the sitting room for so long (it was the shock) that I was certain one of the porcelain ladies moved. Yer one on the left with the purple frilly dress.

A MOVING STATUE, lads. This could be the next Knock.

You mean it's not in the 2nd picture?
    But the 2nd picture is of a different angle?

Either way, it's still a holy miracle.... that anyone can actually live there!! :D

• Advertisement

You mean it's not in the 2nd picture?
    But the 2nd picture is of a different angle?

Either way, it's still a holy miracle.... that anyone can actually live there!! :D

Missus Purple Frilly Dress (to give her the official Lladro title) is in the first photo only. The second photo of the sitting room has the angle altered to give us a view of the prancing pony clock and the four tasteful fireplace urns. As you say, truly miraculous. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

starling wrote: »

Once again: My eyes, MY EYES!!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

They're decorative balls. It's just occurred to me how funny that sounds :pac:

I love a good decorative testicle in a man. When I was single, I had that on my online dating profile. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

I don't think this house has made the thread already.

It's giving me the creeps!

Was browsing properties in Dundrum, and initially wondered how you would get a four bed in that area for €255k. My question was quickly answered!

Does anyone know why this property is boarded up?

To add to the mystery, I can't find it at all on Googlemaps.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/57-mountain-view-drive-churchtown-dublin-14/3318333

Citygirl1 wrote: »

Was browsing properties in Dundrum, and initially wondered how you would get a four bed in that area for €255k. My question was quickly answered!

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/57-mountain-view-drive-churchtown-dublin-14/3318333

It's a dodgy estate, if you had a vacant property there you'd probably want to make sure it was well secured.

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/8DAHMbB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It's a dodgy estate, if you had a vacant property there you'd probably want to make sure it was well secured.
    Is it still though? Down around there and Holylands etc used to be when I was growing up, but it's a lot calmer now than it used to be from what I know. The Dunne crime family used to live there decades back when it was at it's worst, and I went to primary school just the other side of the park beside Nutgrove (now Rathfarnham Educate Together), where you would usually see syringes lying around by the little canal stream that runs through it.

OK the interior is insanely horrible but if you're buying it's not that big a fix, still the area must be worse than I thought it was or must be in an enclave of dodgy families or something, because otherwise it's a decent sized house with a long drive way and back yard that is:
    - A 30 second walk from Nutgrove shopping centre,
    - A 1 minute walk from an Aldi, in the opposite direction.
    - A 10-15 minute walk from Dundrum Shopping Centre.
    - A 15 minute walk from the LUAS bridge.
    - Directly next to a Leicester Celtic and Broadford Rovers (football clubs for kids).
    - Directly next to that park, which is massively cleaned up on the 90s.
    - Within 5-15 minutes walk of a number of different primary and secondary schools.
    - 5 minutes in a car from St. Enda's Park, very nice little place.
    - 5-10 minutes in a car from Marlay Park, and the concerts there (but just far enough to avoid the crowds).
    - 5-10 minutes from two separate golf courses and 15-20 from a third, if that's your thing.
    - 15 minutes by car from UCD (outside of rush hour).

Like I said - IF - the neighbours are not nightmares (my suspicion is they may well be with that price!) it's actually a very good location in terms of proximity to quite a number of varied things.

Don't know if this link will work, but I found it fairly easy, think it's the one in the corner with a small skip bag - https://www.google.ie/maps/place/57+Mountain+View+Dr,+Dublin+14/@53.2902483,-6.26217,3a,75y,313.99h,68.03t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sKcwhH8Tz7l23e5EdkYROpw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DKcwhH8Tz7l23e5EdkYROpw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D175.10284%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x48670bde08e6c9e7:0xcd341f47bd212b0!6m1!1e1

Mountain View is Holy Lands. And yes, it's slightly better than it used to be, in that the local dealer doesn't hang around in that field between Nutgrove SC and Holy Lands any more...but still the kind of place where you would probably want to make sure your empty property was as difficult to get into as possible. There are still some very dodgy people living around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

From the decor you could imagine Tim Burton making a film in there.

can't help, the pics look dodgy too. they look artificial, if things are made up with photoshop or something like that.
    also in the pic showing the outside of the building with the entrance, all windows are covered with plywood (most probably already smashed in...) but in the interior pics no window is covered at all...:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Alkers

The add states:ALUMINIUM DOUBLE GLAZED WINDOWS.:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Surprised that big tv is still in that house tbh, boarded up or not.

Thargor wrote: »
    Surprised that big tv is still in that house tbh, boarded up or not.

yea, was thinking that too. my guess is they did the pictures shortly before they moved out and the state it's in now is a different story...

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

the stained glass window in the jacks :D Great bath though.

That earlier house from Galway may have been inhabited by Roma Gypseys. My parents rented a house to some of them before and they had it looking like that. Decorations all over the kitchen counter. Not sure if its traditional or coincidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

That Holylands gaff rings warning bells all over the shop. THe reason the pics look photoshopped is because they were shot using a VERY wide angle lens. Compare the driveway in the google maps screen with their agency image... you can be guaranteed that all of the rooms will be similarly 'shrunk' when viewed in person.

Also, check out the flowery room (Bedroom I'm guessing?). Not only are there boards up over the exterior, they've gone to the trouble of installing a bracket and metal cage/screen to discourage break-ins while the property is empty. Not exactly the biggest shout of confidence in the area!

Also as a sidenote, that park on the other side of Nutgrove got a million times better when they cut down the forest and boarded up that big shed/crack den. I have unpleasant memories of a mate finding a bike in the river, beginning to pull it out and then both of us getting a hiding off a nearby group of scumbags for 'messing with their bike'.

I don't think it's "boarded" up with plywood - it looks like metallic mesh to me. You can see it in a few of the photos. If you'd seen the state of a few empty houses in the halting site across the park, you'd see why they've secured the property the way it is. I reckon this is an ex-Council house. It looks okay-ish on google street view but frankly, I wouldn't touch that gaff. In fact, I think €255k is a lot for it.

All that said, if there was a way you could sound-proof the house, and had a hungry rotweiler or three (back garden looks perfect for a dog-run), it would be decent enough place to live. I suppose.

Google street view attachment.

bronn wrote: »
    I don't think it's "boarded" up with plywood - it looks like metallic mesh to me. You can see it in a few of the photos. If you'd seen the state of a few empty houses in the halting site across the park, you'd see why they've secured the property the way it is. I reckon this is an ex-Council house. It looks okay-ish on google street view but frankly, I wouldn't touch that gaff. In fact, I think €255k is a lot for it.

All that said, if there was a way you could sound-proof the house, and had a hungry rotweiler or three (back garden looks perfect for a dog-run), it would be decent enough place to live. I suppose.

Google street view attachment.

Yes, they're all ex council houses. The mesh is fixed to all the windows and doors with metal brackets and would have been done by a security company for the estate agents. For various reasons this is preferable to actual wooden boards, some of the reasons are mentioned here
    http://www.orbisprotect.com/product-services/secure/steel-doors-and-screens/
    eg. Fire safety and the fact that the metal grilles can be installed and removed without damaging the property

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Looks like some tacked this on the side of the adjoining property. From the finish, you would be forgiven for thinking for thinking the whole thing was made of Styrofoam bricks, cardboard, and plaster of Paris, forget the crying chair, I would be afraid of a wolf coming and blowing the house down.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

Billy86 wrote: »

Well spotted! I had been looking at that image from googlemaps, but didn't recognise it as the same property, due to the camera work! The drive looks massive in the Estate Agent photos... and of course there's the covered doors and windows.

I'm fascinated by all the comments and anecdotes. I was just doing some casual browsing on Wednesday night, but I had always viewed Churchtown/Dundrum as one of the "desirable" areas of the city!...An area I would like to live in.

The décor in that place makes me think of a Stephen King movie.

I'm fascinated by all the comments and anecdotes. I was just doing some casual browsing on Wednesday night, but I had always viewed Churchtown/Dundrum as one of the "desirable" areas of the city!...An area I would like to live it.
    It's a strange area, D14/D16. You get some of the most expensive house in the country and very close by, you get very deprived and problematic areas. Some of the secondary schools in the area are in the higher education access routes due to their "area of concentrated disadvantage and social exclusion" not to mention the heap of social problems that go along with that.

You can go from this (shudder) to this in the space of a few miles.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement