Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Houses/Flats to rent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Rural Ireland is full of €150k bungalows that are ready to move into.

The location might be more important. Over the years, if you have to travel to work or whatever, the amount you spend on petrol might overcome the initial cost of the house. And some people just aren't suited to the country either, they like to be in the middle of things.

Different strokes and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

http://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-sale/castletownbere/roancarrigmore-island-castletownbere-cork-1262767/

https://gyazo.com/8418ce02f48f1b54169c48a86b85de04

I suppose it might be able to get in one year of supplies and then not have to worry about keeping a boat or risking bad weather. Or perhaps have your own drone deliveries.

Don't suppose Tesco deliver there...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Nomis21 wrote: »
    http://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-sale/castletownbere/roancarrigmore-island-castletownbere-cork-1262767/

I suppose it might be able to get in one year of supplies and then not have to worry about keeping a boat or risking bad weather. Or perhaps have your own drone deliveries.

If I were filthy rich enough to do it, that ad would be gone already and I'd be onto the construction company for some major rebuild/renovations for my new island party mansion / supervillain lair!

(The lair is in the basement. Shut up, there will be a basement!)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Billy86 wrote: »
    If I were filthy rich enough to do it, that ad would be gone already and I'd be onto the construction company for some major rebuild/renovations for my new island party mansion / supervillain lair!

(The lair is in the basement. Shut up, there will be a basement!)

Scuba tanks provided for all guests!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Detached House | 6 Beds | 1 Bath

It is certainly a large bath with that !!

• Advertisement

Samaris wrote: »
    The location might be more important. Over the years, if you have to travel to work or whatever, the amount you spend on petrol might overcome the initial cost of the house. And some people just aren't suited to the country either, they like to be in the middle of things.

Different strokes and all that.
    Commuting!!!
    Yeah, was doing it for years130k each way mostly by rail with a crappy timetable that meant 2:30 hours each way just so I could sit 5000mm away from my boss.

Just changed jobs and I am now 6 minutes away from work and 5000km away from my boss.

Win Win!! :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Commuting!!!
    Yeah, was doing it for years130k each way mostly by rail with a crappy timetable that meant 2:30 hours each way just so I could sit 5000mm away from my boss.

Just changed jobs and I am now 6 minutes away from work and 5000km away from my boss.

Delighted for you!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,258 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Commuting!!!

I'm impressed that you travelled 130k each way ;)

Grayson wrote: »
    I'm impressed that you travelled 130k each way ;)
    It was a f@$king pain!

Nomis21 wrote: »

I wonder how they get potable water? I guess you could drink the rainwater if you had a filtration system installed.

It would be an amazing second home. Wonderful place to write a book. Shame there isn't a cultivable garden and that the island is such a bleak-looking crag. You wouldn't really fancy a walk there, would you? Certainly not if you've been at the wine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,032 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I wonder how they get potable water? I guess you could drink the rainwater if you had a filtration system installed.

It would be an amazing second home. Wonderful place to write a book. Shame there isn't a cultivable garden and that the island is such a bleak-looking crag. You wouldn't really fancy a walk there, would you? Certainly not if you've been at the wine.

living on your own island has a certain romantic appeal, but that's not an island, it's a rock. I'll pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

loyatemu wrote: »
    living on your own island has a certain romantic appeal, but that's not an island, it's a rock. I'll pass.
    I'll pass too, considering:

"There is no electricity or water connection".

It's "in need of renovation".

OTOH it has:
    "Spectacular sea views" - I bet it does since it's in the middle of the feckin sea!

And finally it is:
    "only accessible by boat" - that's not strictly true. Did ye not spot the helicopter landing pad? :) Feck that paddling out under your own steam business!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

loyatemu wrote: »

Have you ever heard of Sealand or Roughs Towers just off the coast of Kent? Fascinating story. It was two massive pillars they stuck in the middle of the English channel and mounted Anti aircraft guns on during WW2. Afterwards a British Major bought them/got the contract to dismantle them ... but he didnt and declared his own micronation. He proclaimed himself and wife Prince and princess. The were out side the legal limit and had their homework done. In the 1960's they had Pirate Radio Stations and in the 70's and 80s's they were issuing 2nd citizenships and passports to businessmen evading tax and dis reputable individuals. I would say because of their military background that they kept the home/foreign Office up to date with who got what.
    Then they were operating computer services housing servers for Gambling/Illegal downloads. They keep the towers occupied 24/7/365 and have an Armed stand to.

They say they only make 300k a year off it but I wouldnt believe it. could you imagine if you had the right solicitors to get that done?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Detached Retina

serfboard wrote: »

OTOH it has:
    "Spectacular sea views" - I bet it does since it's in the middle of the feckin sea!

And finally it is:
    "only accessible by boat" - that's not strictly true. Did ye not spot the helicopter landing pad? :) Feck that paddling out under your own steam business!

"Detached" :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

"Detached" :cool:

you have no imagination ....... it is an excluive property in an area with zero Crime rates, no pollution, Census men, Irish water rates collecters, door to door sales men, Jehovas Witnesses or damn men from the UN. I am sure you could declare yourself king and set up your own banking system. Compose your own National Anthem, write your own constitution, marry Hollywood Royalty like Princess Grace..... (I am thinking Jennifer Lawrence). Bestow Aristocracy titles on the Sea gulls. Live on a diet of Sea Weed. Declare war on other Micro nations like the Pharoe islands (but not the Vatican.... the swiss guards are badasses despite not having a navy). Declare Open season on the all the mamoths on the Island and sell hunting permits to persons with more money than sense (I will buy two please). get end user lisenves for buying Arms and resell them on the black market.

Note to mod : Sincerest Apologies ......I have been getting Therapy from Jack Daniels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

you have no imagination ....... it is an excluive property in an area with zero Crime rates, no pollution, Census men, Irish water rates collecters, door to door sales men, Jehovas Witnesses or damn men from the UN. I am sure you could declare yourself king and set up your own banking system. Compose your own National Anthem, write your own constitution, marry Hollywood Royalty like Princess Grace..... (I am thinking Jennifer Lawrence). Bestow Aristocracy titles on the Sea gulls. Live on a diet of Sea Weed. Declare war on other Micro nations like the Pharoe islands (but not the Vatican.... the swiss guards are badasses despite not having a navy). Declare Open season on the all the mamoths on the Island and sell hunting permits to persons with more money than sense (I will buy two please). get end user lisenves for buying Arms and resell them on the black market.

Note to mod : Sincerest Apologies ......I have been getting Therapy from Jack Daniels.

are you the owner/estate agent...:)

I think it's horrible. It feels like Alcatraz, even worse without heating, water supply etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

http://www.daft.ie/kildare/studio-apartments-for-rent/maynooth/main-street-maynooth-maynooth-kildare-1669394/

First thing that strikes me from this is how scummy some "landlords" are...
    Beautiful one single room studio fully furnish with two single bed on main street

Beautiful?!

The Cool wrote: »
    http://www.daft.ie/kildare/studio-apartments-for-rent/maynooth/main-street-maynooth-maynooth-kildare-1669394/

First thing that strikes me from this is how scummy some "landlords" are...

Beautiful?!
    The fist thing I thought of when I saw that room was Mountjoy!

Not a bad idea... pay the landlord a visit for a 'viewing', assault them for being a scummy pr!ck, get the same surroundings as you would have in the apartment minus the cost of the rent! :D

My plans are on occasion a little short-sighted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

At least your friends and family could visit you in Mountjoy unlike that tiny kip of a place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Look up Halden prison in Norway and ask yourself what kind of crimes you must have been doing in order to be forced to live in that "beautiful kildare studio apartment"
    And be paying €900 for the "pleasure"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

That Maynooth place is awful!

The bedsheets are manky and look ancient. The blinds look like they don't close properly. The wardrobe is tiny and in no way fit for "two students" he LL is looking for.

No space to study unless you count the teeny tiny counter in the kitchen. I love how it has 3 chairs to try and make it look bigger when it's clear it wouldn't seat 3 people. The kitchen's wiring doesn't look up to scratch either.

It seems like it was some granny's gaff they decided to rent out while the will was going through probate :D

All for €900 per month. Even though it's aimed at the student market surely they deserve and can do better than that hovel :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

... Even though it's aimed at the student market surely they deserve and can do better than that hovel :eek:
    Sadly, there is a lack of student accommodation in general because of wider the housing shortage issue. I've heard some outrageous prices quoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

mikhail wrote: »
    Sadly, there is a lack of student accommodation in general because of wider the housing shortage issue. I've heard some outrageous prices quoted.

It's shocking. The LL could have at least made the place look a bit pleasant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,293 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It seems to have been taken down now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

serfboard wrote: »

OTOH it has:

And finally it is:

The landing pad is for the rescue helicopter to take you back to the mental hospital/morgue on the mainland after a few months.

Have you ever heard of Sealand or Roughs Towers just off the coast of Kent? Fascinating story. It was two massive pillars they stuck in the middle of the English channel and mounted Anti aircraft guns on during WW2. Afterwards a British Major bought them/got the contract to dismantle them ... but he didnt and declared his own micronation. He proclaimed himself and wife Prince and princess. The were out side the legal limit and had their homework done. In the 1960's they had Pirate Radio Stations and in the 70's and 80s's they were issuing 2nd citizenships and passports to businessmen evading tax and dis reputable individuals. I would say because of their military background that they kept the home/foreign Office up to date with who got what.
    Then they were operating computer services housing servers for Gambling/Illegal downloads. They keep the towers occupied 24/7/365 and have an Armed stand to.

They say they only make 300k a year off it but I wouldnt believe it. could you imagine if you had the right solicitors to get that done?
    That's mad.

As well as its own 'Government', it even has a 'Governement-in-Exile' who once tried to overthrow the 'King of Sealand'. The Government-in-Exile has a fabulously bonkers website.

http://www.principality-of-sealand.ch/welcome_e.html

inforfun wrote: »
    Look up Halden prison in Norway and ask yourself what kind of crimes you must have been doing in order to be forced to live in that "beautiful kildare studio apartment"
    And be paying €900 for the "pleasure"
    Shelton is a bit like that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Rent a car, no not the usual way though. :eek:

• Advertisement

Please report that, f***ing disgusting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement