Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Houses/Flats to rent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭EmmaMurray2016

guile4582 wrote: »

i doubled up on this stuff (bamboo screen). does the trick

That looks lovely up. I might do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

I know they don't want to give free reign and let it turn into this, but if you can put them on a clotheshorse below the level of the railing, it should be allowed.

Technically these are not on the balcony :cool:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc175/supers54/China%20General/shanghai%20clothes.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Anyone renting or even anyone who owns an apartment, can any of you hear your neighbours talk and some nights snore lol ? I've always wondered is this a majority of apartments or the last few that were fired up at the end of the boom.

I never hear people talking or snoring. Just people having sex occasionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Anyone renting or even anyone who owns an apartment, can any of you hear your neighbours talk and some nights snore lol ? I've always wondered is this a majority of apartments or the last few that were fired up at the end of the boom.

My places (all the one block) were built in 1996 - Cavity walls and concrete floors. These are duplex apartments with attics, though (could get away with calling them town-houses) with only one single-story apartment below.... can't hear a fcuking thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

That's a pain in the balls. I'm the director of our management company and I made a point of having no issue with people using a clothes horse on their balcony (not hanging on the railing!) to dry clothes.
    I HATE going into apartment and seeing a clothes horse inside... the first thing that hits you is the damp / humidity.
    guile4582 wrote: »
    the policy of not allowing one to dry clothes is backwards, considering that wet clothes drying inside add to damp issues.

if a person is respectful and not throwing clothes over the balcony and doing their best to keep the clothes out of sight, where is the harm?

i have had the security in my complex make a point of coming over to my ground floor balcony and calling in at me to take them in

"you are not allowed hang out clothes"

....ah yes..i knew there would be a drawback of paying 1800e a month for a 2 bed flat, right you are...in they come

knobheads

rant over

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

JohnCleary wrote: »
    That's a pain in the balls. I'm the director of our management company and I made a point of having no issue with people using a clothes horse on their balcony (not hanging on the railing!) to dry clothes.
    I HATE going into apartment and seeing a clothes horse inside... the first thing that hits you is the damp / humidity.

I have a dehumidifier. Every time I see the reminder about not drying clothes on the balcony I feel like invoicing the management company for the cost of the dehumidifier. It was 90 euro, not a lot of money, but the clothes horse takes up a lot of room in an already small apartment.

Its just another needless pain of living in apartments in Ireland. I lived for 4 years in apartments on the continent. In most places basement space was included in the rent, so you'd somewhere to put bikes and suitcases. No-one ever complained about washing hanging outside. I lived in much smaller places than where I am now, and storage was only an issue in 2 places which were unfurnished and we had to go buy wardrobes and things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

syklops wrote: »
    Thats what Mrs Syklops wants to get. Tbh, I think that looks just as bad.

rather this than having the damp, plus people walking by dont automatically look in when I am sat with a light on

#firstworldgroundfloorproblems

My ex lived in a modern apartment block in the Docklands. You couldn't hear music or conversations in other apartments unless the windows were open, but the internal walls were paper thin. You couldn't crumple a sheet of paper without the person in the next bedroom hearing it, let alone snoring, or a loud orgasm. Luckily for her, I am terrible in bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,032 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there's a campaign in the US against rules forbidding the outdoor drying of clothes, and several states have introduced laws banning mgmt companies from implementing such rules: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-11417677

similar campaign here might be worth trying...

its in my contract. probably not a hope of changing the policy..wouldn't even know where to begin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

inforfun wrote: »
    http://www.huislijn.nl/koopwoning/zuid-holland/rotterdam/ellemare-35_1/details

That is the kind of place i lived in in Holland.
    These things were built in the 60's.
    Each main entrance is for 7 of those apartments, the 4 on the right can be converted to 3 bedrooms or 2 with a if you only need 2
    The 3 on the left, have 2 or 1 bedroom(s)

See the price.... €99.500

Now i am pretty sure if something like that would be built today here in Ireland, they would built 4 on the left and 4 on the right.
    In Holland they built 7 and the groundfloor left is divided into 7 storage spaces.
    Built in the 60's also means they used proper materials so you dont hear your neighbour ripping one all day.

I would love to buy a place sized like that here in Ireland. But with storage and not for €300.000 built from paper mache.

Before I moved over to join him my partner lived in an apartment almost exactly like that (including the ground floor storage spaces) in Amsterdam. Even better, the block was part of a U shaped complex that surrounded a large communal mature garden space that was like a private park that could be used by all the residents for sunbathing, bbqs, small parties etc.

The difference that struck me the most, though, was that all of the apartments were double facing. That's the standard here, and yet I've seen very very few flats like that in Ireland and even the UK. There's no chance of ever getting a good breeze rattling round the house to clear the air out, which it seems quite unhealthy. Kitchens and bedrooms and even bathrooms with no windows at all make me uneasy. A friend of mine was renting a 2 bedroom flat in Dublin and there 2 wee windows in the whole place, both on the same side; one in the living room/kitchen and one in the master bedroom. Claustrophobic.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Holysock

SuperS54 wrote: »
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/flats-for-rent/drimnagh/91-kilworth-road-drimnagh-dublin-1677625/

It's actually better than a lot of the stuff that goes up here! I wonder is the "utility package" optional?!

"Utility Package: Electricity, Water, Bins and Free to Air Tv - Additional €100.00 Per Month."

Someone from the Indo got more pictures. And the extra €100 didn't include WiFi!

http://m.independent.ie/opinion/comment/the-housing-market-is-only-going-to-get-worse-the-time-i-viewed-a-1k-onebed-garden-flat-in-dublin-35083812.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

It looks fine because there's no stuff in it. There's zero storage space. You'd have to use those drawers in the sitting room to store some clothes but there's nowhere to hang anything. You'd probably resort to using some kitchen cupboards to store miscellaneous things.

Thinking of things in the storage cupboard in my flat, the hoover, ironing board, suitcases, etc., these are things that are too large to put anywhere in this flat without them getting in the way.

This kind of place is only good for short term rentals. We need for the focus to be on long term living. This is where the lack of supply is, not in investment apartments, but actual homes for people. 40 sq m apartments are not going to be bought as PPRs except by desperate people with no other options.

Oh I don't know. If the layout is well thought out it could work a treat for a single person or even a couple.
    Ikea have had set ups for small spaces for years and there is always lots of storage.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsTUhBkSfOo
    It looks a little dark, but think windows to the outside world and not the inside of a building.
    It takes a bit of clever thinking to create a livable space though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Back in the heady days of 2011, I rented a spacious, one-bedroomed apartment in Harold's Cross for 640 euro per month. I assume it would be leased these days for at least 1,000 euro pm.

1500 here :O

http://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/19-Harolds-Cross-Cottages-Harolds-Cross-Dublin-6-South-Dublin-City/1679513/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

That'd be at least €1000pm now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Place I'm renting was built in 2007. The only place I'd ever hear noise from is the apartment above, and it would only be certain things from time to time. Someone walking on a wooden floor in heels, or a door slamming. That sort of thing. Not music, talking or shagging like.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭EmmaMurray2016

Place I'm renting was built in 2007. The only place I'd ever hear noise from is the apartment above, and it would only be certain things from time to time. Someone walking on a wooden floor in heels, or a door slamming. That sort of thing. Not music, talking or shagging like.

I've lived in places like yours. Their the sounds you don't really mind once they not running around in their heels at 3 am lol this place takes the biscuit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

That's expected to become the norm for us the way things are going. Loads of jobs and no accommodation.

Get me out of Ireland. I'm not spending another few years with Mammy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    That's expected to become the norm for us the way things are going. Loads of jobs and no accommodation.

Get me out of Ireland. I'm not spending another few years with Mammy.

For what it's worth if you're willing to live with probably 2 others, you can get a nice, clean, modern skyscraper apartment in downtown Toronto (even right on the water if you wish) for around €400/mo equivalent each. And there's far more to do relatively speaking in said downtown area. Or if you prefer he suburbs, you can go cheaper again and travel around 20km into work on public transport in 20-30 minutes depending on your location.

Just to put the farcical situation that is renting in Dublin into some perspective. You will be paying through the hoop for all and any dairy, though. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Billy86 wrote: »
    For what it's worth if you're willing to live with probably 2 others, you can get a nice, clean, modern skyscraper apartment in downtown Toronto (even right on the water if you wish) for around €400/mo equivalent each. And there's far more to do relatively speaking in said downtown area. Or if you prefer he suburbs, you can go cheaper again and travel around 20km into work on public transport in 20-30 minutes depending on your location.

Just to put the farcical situation that is renting in Dublin into some perspective. You will be paying through the hoop for all and any dairy, though. :p

Funny enough my brothers there. He has described it exactly as you have. He lives in an apartment in the CBD and has a 5 minute walk to work with access to a pool and gym in the apartment block. Loves it. My plan is to move abroad, looking towards Dubai, unfortunately its going to break up a relationship but really cannot stick it out here anymore as the rent situation is dire. (She has just started a 2 years masters company paid)

Hard to believe only 3 years ago I had a spacious 3 bed apartment in Ashtown for 1100 a month. Its likely over 2k a month nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Hard to believe only 3 years ago I had a spacious 3 bed apartment in Ashtown for 1100 a month. Its likely over 2k a month nowadays.
    Well, no, you can actually get a 3 bed house in Ashtown for 1,850. The pictures show it unfurnished but the ad says you can get it furnished (doesn't say if that's extra, though).

Or, here's another one that does hit your 2K price target. It too is unfurnished, but it's an A3 rated house with "24 hour estate security", and the rent includes gym membership!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/house-share/foxrock/bray-road-foxrock-dublin-906725/

Straight away breaking the law no heating I was interested right up till then :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

...__... wrote: »
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/house-share/foxrock/bray-road-foxrock-dublin-906725/

Straight away breaking the law no heating I was interested right up till then :(

That would be ideal for a student though. Just buy an electric heater to keep your bedroom warm and keep the fire going in winter.

would a lot of this got to do with the law regarding those one bed flats in all the old georgian buildings? you see them all over north circular and in parts of drumcondra

i remember hearing something about all those old houses having to be sold, as no longer deemed safe to rent out the rooms etc

anyone got more on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

That would be ideal for a student though. Just buy an electric heater to keep your bedroom warm and keep the fire going in winter.

Why are they saying bills include water? Water charges are suspended, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Why are they saying bills include water? Water charges are suspended, no?

People on private schemes have always paid for water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,453 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

People on private schemes have always paid for water.
    I somehow doubt there's many private water schemes in Foxrock :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement