Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Houses/Flats to rent

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It's a commercial sale so it would come down to the agreement of the purchase. Most likely there's an annual return based on the occupancy and profit, so say the room is €150/night average and it has 60% occupancy with a 20% margin and the agreement is for half the profit margin, it would work out at about 5% ROI per year.

Those are just example figures. I'm not sure how these agreements work.

Considering the prices for short term lets in Dublin it'd actually make a good investment. It's not buying the room to live in yourself, it's pretty much buying part of a hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭valoren

If you had a major company based in Dublin that regularly flies in staff/contractors from other countries it would make sense as a cost saving measure. I remember ad's on the tube in London advertising something similar circa 2005.

If they are charging 100+ euro a night, you could see how an upfront payment of 70k would be covered instead of spending the money on hotel rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

I believe you'd still have to pay to stay there, from my poor memory you get a certain number of free nights a year, not many. You're effectively buying a share in the hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

eviltwin wrote: »
    Found this American house for sale on Facebook. The interior decoration is, eh, interesting, to say the least......

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/24-Brentwood-Dr-Avon-CT-06001/59011376_zpid/#

My eyes hurt.

You really are evil eviltwin. :D
    vandriver wrote: »
    It's a ridiculously bad ad.Sloppy in details(map location wrong,Clonskeagh wrong) and I'm assuming there is some scheme where the hotel pays you a yearly rate for use of the room(not that the ad is letting on)

Knock it down and reinstate kittys as was.

Also didn't know Clonskeagh had expanded so much over the years.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

Grayson wrote: »
    Considering the prices for short term lets in Dublin it'd actually make a good investment. It's not buying the room to live in yourself, it's pretty much buying part of a hotel.

how do you know? the add says buying a specific room, no. 210!

a shareholding type thing would make sense, yes. to say buy x amount of shares and getting x % on interest yield per year.
    but with a specific room???? I just imagine, the hotel owner saying: sorry, nobody wanted your room this year, so no income for you on it!!!:eek: hahaha, hilarious. seems very dodgy to me.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

foggy_lad wrote: »
    A professional what though?

Bellend. A professional bellend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 darragh0000

www.daft.ie/21685688
    Property Description:
    Located in a sought after red brick Victorian terrace this charming compact apartment occupies one section of the upstairs. Four rent increases in three years indicates how desirable this property is. The very small floor area makes this a wonderful example of creative design. This property boasts a wonderful community spirit with communal laundry and shower facilities shared with numerous other tenants.

- Kitchenette conveniently located next to sleeping area.
    - Suits couple or family looking to downsize.
    - Occasional hot water.
    - Large amounts of natural light due to lack of curtains.

Homelessness has reached critical levels. In July 2016 there were 6,525 men, women and children homeless in Ireland. It can be something small that forces someone out of their home but it could also be something small that helps get them back on their feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,453 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

WTAF? :eek:

That's like a reasonably spacious prison cell - €1500pm???

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    WTAF? :eek:

That's like a reasonably spacious prison cell - €1500pm???

Is it even legal to have communal showers?

Stheno wrote: »
    Is it even legal to have communal showers?

It looks like an advert for SVP's homeless unit's work. The phone number is theirs and the advert is to create awareness of how people can be priced out of homes.

Not a real advert, apparently.

Don't bedsits share facilities btw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner.

It's an awareness thing by SVP. Read the bottom part carefully, then compare the phone numbers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Candie wrote: »

Don't bedsits share facilities btw?

No, it's been illegal for some time to have shared bathrooms iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

They probably think that ad is clever but they are going to get some land when a load of people ring up wanting to rent the gaff anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Candie wrote: »
    It's an awareness thing by SVP. Read the bottom part carefully, then compare the phone numbers.

The address is SVP too. It's a very clever ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

stevek93 wrote: »
    Read the posts directly above yours for the explanation. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Being the only house on the Island, I suppose it would be your own island if you bought this gaff...

http://www.daft.ie/galway/houses-for-sale/letttermullan/cottage-on-dinish-island-letttermullan-galway-1270604/

But...

"No one will hear you scream..."

dearg lady wrote: »
    Stuck in a 1970s time warp, probably hasn't been redecorated for decades.
    Looking at the stair lift, it appears that the previous owner may have came out in a box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Read the posts directly above yours for the explanation. ;)

So it wasn't only me who thought of a prison cell :D

Nomis21 wrote: »
    Being the only house on the Island, I suppose it would be your own island if you bought this gaff...

http://www.daft.ie/galway/houses-for-sale/letttermullan/cottage-on-dinish-island-letttermullan-galway-1270604/

"

I'd LOVE that house:o

But...

"No one will hear you scream..."

I see telegraph poles. Does that mean there's the possibility of a DSL connection? :)

I see telegraph poles. Does that mean there's the possibility of a DSL connection? :)
    I only see electricity poles, no phone poles in sight. It's a fishphone (ship to shore radio) that you'll be needing out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

It's actually not too bad as isolated island retreats go. If the ad is to be relied on, it's possible to walk across to a larger island (Lettermullan) at low tide which is connected to the mainland by road. Lettermullan is two hours from Galway by bus and the bus line also connects it with Rossaveal and Carraroe.

twill wrote: »
    It's actually not too bad as isolated island retreats go. If the ad is to be relied on, it's possible to walk across to a larger island (Lettermullan) at low tide which is connected to the mainland by road. Lettermullan is two hours from Galway by bus and the bus line also connects it with Rossaveal and Carraroe.

You'd need a parking space on the next island :)

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

You'd need a parking space on the next island :)

You'd have to expect that if you were thinking of living on an island. For a retreat or second home it's not a big issue as public transport is nearby.

All theoretical, of course.

twill wrote: »

Would a four wheel drive vehicle like a land rover be able to cross at low tide?

I only see electricity poles, no phone poles in sight. It's a fishphone (ship to shore radio) that you'll be needing out there.

Isn't Eircom obliged to provide a phone line?

• Advertisement

Isn't Eircom obliged to provide a phone line?
    Only if you're willing to pay for the installation of the infrastructure, which could easily run into thousands for such a remote location.
    Even with using a radio repeater it won't be cheap.
    That location is probably beyond the range of mobile phones as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement