Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Houses/Flats to rent

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭mojesius

Nomis21 wrote: »
    Like to own your own island?

http://www.daft.ie/cork/sites-for-sale/skibbereen/goose-island-roaring-water-bay-skibbereen-cork-1264841/

What would you do with it?

Make yourself King/Queen? Start Ireland's first nudist colony?

Id make it a super duper tax haven, Ireland's version of the Cayman islands.

Island is located in 'Roaring water bay'. Sounds pleasant. I'd say it's a nice place in the depths of winter, exactly like that photo, but with furious crashing waves, howling winds, and non-stop rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

and there's not even a building on it. I doubt you get planning permission to build one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Grayson wrote: »
    In amsterdam if you're not earning that much you get automatic rent supplement as far as I'm aware. I think you have to be paying less than 700 a month. It means that there's a lot of housing available for around that much.

But yeah, our public transport system (and roads too) are a nightmare. It should be easier to live farther away and travel to work. Everytime I'm in the Netherlands I'm amazed at how easy the transport system is.

Nah, you don't get a rental supplement, you can however apply for Social Housing if you earn under a certain amount but you'd be on the waiting list potentially for years unless you are willing to live way outside amsterdam.

Also with the refugee crisis now people are waiting even longer for social housing.

Outside of that you are just renting in the private market with no supplement.

You do get a supplement for your Health Insurance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

happypants wrote: »
    https://touch.daft.ie/meath/houses-for-sale/dunboyne/7-the-way-dunboyne-castle-dunboyne-meath-1324165/

Utility room or guest bathroom??? I dunno. Suppose you could use the jax while you wait on your tea and toast...

http://bit.ly/2hNubHW

happypants wrote: »
    https://touch.daft.ie/meath/houses-for-sale/dunboyne/7-the-way-dunboyne-castle-dunboyne-meath-1324165/

Utility room or guest bathroom??? I dunno. Suppose you could use the jax while you wait on your tea and toast...

The rest of the house is very nice. I assume the microwave and toaster were just moved to the utility as a temporary measure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

http://www.daft.ie/kildare/houses-for-sale/kilcock/167-chambers-park-kilcock-kildare-1345236/

Open your front door and you're straight into your hallway/kitchen. Is this a little unusual for a newly built house? Can't say I'd be a fan of that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

http://www.daft.ie/kildare/houses-for-sale/kilcock/167-chambers-park-kilcock-kildare-1345236/

Open your front door and you're straight into your hallway/kitchen. Is this a little unusual for a newly built house? Can't say I'd be a fan of that.

Straight into your hallway? Aren't doors always open into a hallway? I can't see what you mean?

Oh I see it now! Yeah, it's kind of open plan with the stairs in the kitchen as well.

Would be odd alright but depends on how well insulated the house is and how warm it is, wouldn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

Not only unusual, looks like its in breach of fire safety regulations.

1.5.2 An open-plan arrangement, where the stairway rises
    directly from the ground storey accommodation is
    less preferable than the arrangement at (ii) above
    and is only acceptable where:
    - the stairway discharges to within 4.5 m of a door
    at the ground storey leading directly to the open
    air;
    - the stairway does not discharge into a kitchen
    and either:
    • any ground storey kitchen is enclosed in
    storey height construction which need not
    be fire resisting or;
    • where the stairway passes within 3 m of the
    kitchen, the stairway should be enclosed in
    storey-height construction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

pilly wrote: »
    Straight into your hallway? Aren't doors always open into a hallway? I can't see what you mean?

What I'm saying is that there's no separation between the hallway and kitchen. Look at pictures 5 and 8.

What I'm saying is that there's no separation between the hallway and kitchen. Look at pictures 5 and 8.

Yeah sorry, I got it afterwards, it's weird alright. I've seen stairs in a living room but never in a kitchen. Maybe previous owners changed it around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Fecking "townhouses". Another cheap build for the builders, packing in as much crap as they can on as little land as possible. They rarely have much going for them.

Friends rented something with a similar ground floor layout 20 years ago, but in their case the kitchen was walled off from the hallway. It made for a ridiculously poky kitchen, and a poky hallway that you nearly had to turn sideways to get through. They probably thought that removing the wall would give an "airier" feel, which it probably does. But the smell of cooking must permeate the entire upstairs every time. And if you're upstairs and the kitchen goes on fire you're f***ed.

They also obviously expect everyone to eat off their laps on the sofa - can't see where you'd fit a table and chairs in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

You can come home from work everyday and instead of watching tv you can watch the contents of your fridge going off.

https://www.propertypal.com/unit-4-66-university-street-botanic-belfast/318565/slideshow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Glico Man wrote: »
    You can come home from work everyday and instead of watching tv you can watch the contents of your fridge going off.
    https://www.propertypal.com/unit-4-66-university-street-botanic-belfast/318565/slideshow
    That looks ok to me.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

snubbleste wrote: »
    That looks ok to me.

For the price I guess it's 'ok', still pretty depressing though imo :(

xzanti wrote: »
    For the price I guess it's 'ok', still pretty depressing though imo :(
    It's a mansion in comparison to some of the poky hellholes that have been named and shamed on these pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

That looks ok to me.

The pictures taken with the secret cameras in the rooms would put me off:eek::D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The pictures taken with the secret cameras in the rooms would put me off:eek::D
    I'm pretty certain they were taken with a selfie stick.

That looks ok to me.

Oh god stop, it's rotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

grand for students

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Glico Man wrote: »

It's grand as far as I'm concerned since they have been considerate enough to provide crying chairs in both bedrooms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Detached Retina

That's quite weird to me. I've never seen that before. The kitchen was always the heart of my family home, my grans etc. that looks like a run through, more so than even a small galley kitchen. Nicely decorated, but weird flow :confused: Also they're all overdoing it with the panorama :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

That's quite weird to me. I've never seen that before. The kitchen was always the heart of my family home, my grans etc. that looks like a run through, more so than even a small galley kitchen. Nicely decorated, but weird flow :confused: Also they're all overdoing it with the panorama :(

Looks like it's compensating for a narrowerror space than usual. If the kitchen were in the back then half the sitting room would be taken up by the stairs. They'd want a pretty good extractor fan to avoid the cooking smells lingering upstairs too.
    I'd definitely put it in the funny category..... funny peculiar.
    I could imagine the conversation in the architects office... 'hey we've a row of 12 houses... if we took a foot off each we could make a new house'.

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    I could imagine the conversation in the architects office... 'hey we've a row of 12 houses... if we took a foot off each we could make a new house'.
    I think the conversation would have been more like 'hey we've a row of 12 houses, the developer has demanded that we take a foot off each and squeeze in one more :mad:'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Money sink

Read the small print. Its a 24 year lease with 10k service charge and probably have to pay tax on it. No no a sound investment there.

Read the small print. Its a 24 year lease with 10k service charge and probably have to pay tax on it. No no a sound investment there.

It's not even a bungalow but a mobile home! For 150k! Nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

pilly wrote: »
    It's not even a bungalow but a mobile home! For 150k! Nuts.

19 years left on the lease @ about 10k a year and at the end of it all, you may have to leave with nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

€9450 service charge per year...+vat.

That's a mad amount. Is that normal in those caravan/mobile home parks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭vandriver

Winterlong wrote: »
    €9450 service charge per year...+vat.

That's a mad amount. Is that normal in those caravan/mobile home parks?
    In the super exclusive,keep out the riff-raff type places Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

You should get on well with the other tenants Luke, Han Solo and R2D2. I think those pods should of been delivered to Apollo House instead, would suit the homeless rather than sleeping on mattresses on the floor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement