Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Houses/Flats to rent

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Is it a room in peamount hospital??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

Return of the tenement :mad:
    While I agree with your comment, a question - what kind of accommodation do people think that minimum wage earning foreign workers are living in, in Dublin 2017? In order to make the minimum wage pay (or simply, in order to eat), it has to be in one of these modern tenements.

serfboard wrote: »
    While I agree with your comment, a question - what kind of accommodation do people think that minimum wage earning foreign workers are living in, in Dublin 2017? In order to make the minimum wage pay (or simply, in order to eat), it has to be in one of these modern tenements.

Sadly, I imagine a lot of foreign workers are living in sh** holes and paying ridiculous amounts of money for the priviledge :( .
    But then it can be the same for native workers nowadays too.

Jake1 wrote: »
    Sadly, I imagine a lot of foreign workers are living in sh** holes and paying ridiculous amounts of money for the priviledge :( .
    But then it can be the same for native workers nowadays too.
    Indeed, but at least some native workers have the option to live with parents - the reason I focused on foreign workers is that they have no such option.

serfboard wrote: »
    Indeed, but at least some native workers have the option to live with parents - the reason I focused on foreign workers is that they have no such option.

true enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Candie wrote: »
    It's desperately sad, it looks so lonely and neglected and it's hard not to believe that the person who lived there wasn't lonely and neglected too. :(

Not necessarily. At my last house eg the old man who lived up the lane had huge signs on his gate NO ENTRY as he was fed up of folk checking up on him!

I was there once when my car got stuck in the muck and you would not believe how he lived. Papers and letters and opened food packets everywhere; would make that ad look like a palace.My landlord had once been there half the night searching for farm documents. I asked LL could we not help him sort it and he replied that it would shame him.

We old ones live as we choose to live. I repel "boarders" here with a locked gate and a noisy dog.... We tend not to be neglected, but independent to the end. Lonely? Not... all that talk is what the ones say who would hate to live like that.
    But the way families leave the houses...bed clearly just as it was left when the person left it, clothes turned back... Luminous rosary on the bed post...

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not necessarily. At my last house eg the old man who lived up the lane had huge signs on his gate NO ENTRY as he was fed up of folk checking up on him!

I was there once when my car got stuck in the muck and you would not believe how he lived. Papers and letters and opened food packets everywhere; would make that ad look like a palace.My landlord had once been there half the night searching for farm documents. I asked LL could we not help him sort it and he replied that it would shame him.

We old ones live as we choose to live. I repel "boarders" here with a locked gate and a noisy dog.... We tend not to be neglected, but independent to the end. Lonely? Not... all that talk is what the ones say who would hate to live like that.
    But the way families leave the houses...bed clearly just as it was left when the person left it, clothes turned back... Luminous rosary on the bed post...

I'm all for people living however they choose but I'd be concerned about an older person living in damp or mouldly conditions, for the sake of their health.

I take your point about how you might or your neighbour might choose to live, but it's not always the case. I know there are many elderly and frail people who live isolated lives with no regular human contact, and that is something that must be hard to adapt to, and leaves people vulnerable and lonely. That is a sad state of affairs, and a world away from choosing not to receive visitors. Your experience is not the only experience of older people.

If a person is living in squalid conditions it's rarely a choice consciously made, more a situation that arises when people are no longer able to cope with the demands of maintaining their domestic situation. It might shame a person to accept help, but a person living in good conditions that don't threaten their health and happiness is more important than wounded pride.

I think choosing not to help someone because their pride would be hurt is an easy way of justifying doing nothing. I can only assume they have no family to care for them, because I know I would not tolerate a family member of mine living an isolated life in a dark, mouldy and damp dungeon with no human interaction from one end of the week to the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Candie wrote: »
    It's desperately sad, it looks so lonely and neglected and it's hard not to believe that the person who lived there wasn't lonely and neglected too. :(

That picture of the chair next to the stove, with the extra cushion against the backrest. You can nearly see someone sitting there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

There's just something odd about this house: http://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-rent/midleton/obriens-terrace-midleton-cork-1716370/

Maybe it's the galvanised steel stove back, the fact that the stove is massively off centre (pic 5) one living room where the couch looks straight out the window or the second where you stare at a wall 3 feet away.

It's like it was decorated by a person who was trying to avoid eye contact at all cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

eeguy wrote: »
    There's just something odd about this house: http://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-rent/midleton/obriens-terrace-midleton-cork-1716370/

Maybe it's the galvanised steel stove back, the fact that the stove is massively off centre (pic 5) one living room where the couch looks straight out the window or the second where you stare at a wall 3 feet away.

It's like it was decorated by a person who was trying to avoid eye contact at all cost.

The galvanised "feature wall"....omg.

• Advertisement

misread ad

eeguy wrote: »

Another thing about the house is that, even though the sun is shining outside, the agent felt the need to put the light on in every room while photographing it.

The Black Hole of Corkcutta ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

Bargain mini-Mansion in Cork? 5000 sq for 420k
    http://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-sale/kanturk/monserrat-newmarket-road-kanturk-cork-1363001/
    Electric gates etc- Compared to those FTB buyers in Dublin, it's serious value imo. Admittedly it would take a lot of upkeep, but it's pretty high end so I'm sure someone would make on "exclusive' lettings etc. Or it's just a beautiful family home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

TresGats wrote: »
    http://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-sale/kanturk/monserrat-newmarket-road-kanturk-cork-1363001/
    Electric gates etc- Compared to those FTB buyers in Dublin, it's serious value imo. Admittedly it would take a lot of upkeep, but it's pretty high end so I'm sure someone would make on "exclusive' lettings etc. Or it's just a beautiful family home.

are you the seller? otherwise you're in the wrong thread. It's about funny houses and flats to rent....

tara73 wrote: »
    are you the seller? otherwise you're in the wrong thread. It's about funny houses and flats to rent....

well it is kind of funny, how prices vary so much....That Cork property is beautiful

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

TresGats wrote: »

That house is stunning :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,015 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

whiskeyman wrote: »
    With the relatively new looking kettle in there, it looks like some poor old person lived in there up til recently.
    No doubt there's many old people living in such conditions around the country... pretty sad :(

It wasn't that one, but a relative of mine lived in something similar until recently.

He isn't poor and didn't regard his life as sad. Only old and modest, neither of which he saw a bad thing. If any do-gooder tried to get him to move they were invited to leave or he'd get the guards to remove them.

More dignified than many of the McMansions that younger people live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

It wasn't that one, but a relative of mine lived in something similar until recently.

He isn't poor and didn't regard his life as sad. Only old and modest, neither of which he saw a bad thing. If any do-gooder tried to get him to move they were invited to leave or he'd get the guards to remove them.

His life is sad though.

Glenster wrote: »
    His life is sad though.
    Everything is relative though, just remember that an elderly person living in rural Ireland probably didn't have electricity until the 1950's & running water 'till the 1960's, so to them that modest living arrangement is far better that what preceded it.

Everything is relative though, just remember that an elderly person living in rural Ireland probably didn't have electricity until the 1950's & running water 'till the 1960's, so to them that modest living arrangement is far better that what preceded it.

Fair enough, everything is relative, I'm sure Taylor Swift looks at my life and considers it sad.

But youd be hard pressed to find a more grim living arrangement than that in ireland outside of emergency accommodation.

• Advertisement

All so true. We hear of old folk being lonely and like the old neighbour I had they are in fact fed up of do gooders coming in and telling them what to do . He had his sign NO ENTRY and I have much the same here.

Visiting an old person means you respect how they choose to live. Especially their privacy and dignity.

His life is sad though.

Not to him; would be for YOU! I know how hard it is to see someone's life through their eyes. Without putting yourself there. Folk here are shocked when they hear I live alone up here and get my water from a mountain stream. As they could not and would not choose to do that.

Works both ways; I was in the city this week and stunned at how folk can all live like that! Or in some of the luxury lets I see on daft.

The house in the ad here? Needs a sorting and a clean etc.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not to him; would be for YOU! I know how hard it is to see someone's life through their eyes. Without putting yourself there. Folk here are shocked when they hear I live alone up here and get my water from a mountain stream. As they could not and would not choose to do that.

Works both ways; I was in the city this week and stunned at how folk can all live like that! Or in some of the luxury lets I see on daft.

The house in the ad here? Needs a sorting and a clean etc.

Here, I appreciate that everyone is different and that some people like things that other people don't like. I'm not a fascist trying to make everyone live how I live.

But there is also objective truth. murder is bad, cold beer on a hot day is refreshing, Babies are cute;

And living in a dirty hovel is sad.

Here, I appreciate that everyone is different and that some people like things that other people don't like. I'm not a fascist trying to make everyone live how I live.

But there is also objective truth. murder is bad, cold beer on a hot day is refreshing, Babies are cute;

To him, home. Not a dirty hovel. No such thing as objective truth. I have visited old folk in what you would call a dirty hovel. They see nothing wrong in it.

PS I am not accusing you of being a fascist! I know you care but sometimes caring means leaving be and letting others live their lives. I know how hard that can be. Believe me.

As I do not drink beer ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

In your opinion it is Glenster, it's all relative.

It's not a fact that living like that is sad. It's just your opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Some babies are as ugly as sin tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

McMansion Hell have released their Ireland edition:

http://www.mcmansionhell.com/post/157457285986/mcmansion-hell-ireland-edition

tumblr_inline_oln7iqWa6d1sppt0x_1280.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

not the place so much, more the ad

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartment-share/dublin-1/portland-place-dublin-1-dublin-930256/
    Very quiet environment, definitely ain't a party gaff, owner occupied. Owner keeps hours of 6am-11pm. If you don't keep similar hours, don't waste my time.
    Balcony smokers welcome. THC tolerant.

not the place so much, more the ad
    Actually, the bit that got me was:
    Looking for Irish professional 25-35 yrs.
    Are you allowed to say that? Is that not called discrimination?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

We know what he means.
    But lets face it, LL will have the last word so any unemployed, one-legged, lesbian Nigerian would be shown the door anyway.

Saves a lot of people time i reckon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement