Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Houses/Flats to rent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

It looks so remote. Could you even get running water or electricity out there?

In picture 8, you can see another house quite near.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

A proposed redevelopment of an office block in London.
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/mar/27/dog-kennel-flats-barnet-house-smaller-than-travelodge-room

The graphic includes a crying chair and a cat.

Badly laid out. I could do a much better job and make it a steal. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,016 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Winterlong wrote: »
    It is nuts all right.
    I could see how a place like that would work for someone who lives outside london and wants a city base to sleep in every now and again. But to have a home that small could not be good.

Better than living in a shared dorm in a homeless hostel, though.

I've visited countries where living spaces this size are routine. It takes a certain discipline in the culture to make it work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

retalivity wrote: »
    I was just reading that and thought of this thread.

Whatever about the govt here, the fact the tories in the uk have lowered minimum sizes to allow a 16sqm apt is absolutely disgusting

Not having anywhere to live is disgusting.

I think those pods are actually kind of cool. Not sure I could live in them long term though.

Having extremely low rents would make it more tolerable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

I've visited countries where living spaces this size are routine. It takes a certain discipline in the culture to make it work though.

great, so you want the british to adapt to it.
    why? to fulfill the developer/ investors sick greed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I hear you. When I worked in Japan some colleagues would stay in those bubble motels during the week. Basically a plastic pod.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Having extremely low rents would make it more tolerable.

I think the article said they would be 800 pounds sterling a month? Madness!

I hear you. When I worked in Japan some colleagues would stay in those bubble motels during the week. Basically a plastic pod.

yes, and? why to adapt to ****ty stuff like this? what's the next ****ty thing to adapt? dirty, infected water, because that's how it is in other countries and people have to 'live' with it?

makes me really angry, this views. playing in the pockets of investors, tolerating to widen the already serious gap between people who struggle to make a living and those 'on top', sacking in more and more money at the expense of this people on the lower income scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,776 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

pilly wrote: »
    I'm sitting in an office that's 18sqm and imagining living in it. What a horrible thought. You would literally go stir crazy unless you only slept there. :mad:

Try living in a truck for a month at a time!

• Advertisement

pilly wrote: »
    I think the article said they would be 800 pounds sterling a month? Madness!
    Aye, it's bloody ridiculous.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Try living in a truck for a month at a time!

A month? Ah I'd go off my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

A proposed redevelopment of an office block in London.
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/mar/27/dog-kennel-flats-barnet-house-smaller-than-travelodge-room

The graphic includes a crying chair and a cat.

I presume it's actually a room for cats, such is the scale?

If it's owners... the graphic of the human is out of the picture of them out the window having jumped to escape such a miserable life.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

An apartment block purpose built for Business Cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    2.49 acres in the plot, including direct shoreline access. Still!

Ballyconneely is glorious and yes , a rich place to retire to etc.

See

http://www.daft.ie/galway/houses-for-rent/ballyconneely/mannin-ballyconneely-galway-1709613/

The price is OK for there..

and i have lived long term in the UK in bedsitters at least that small, albeit not with the toilet in there, but even that is better than a shared bathroom can be ... and with a single bed. and no wardrobe , just a few hooks

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

Spotted this one and it genuinely made me smile... https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/gortnamona-ballingeary-co-cork/3930407

"Druids Rock" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

tara73 wrote: »
    yes, and? why to adapt to ****ty stuff like this? what's the next ****ty thing to adapt? dirty, infected water, because that's how it is in other countries and people have to 'live' with it?

makes me really angry, this views. playing in the pockets of investors, tolerating to widen the already serious gap between people who struggle to make a living and those 'on top', sacking in more and more money at the expense of this people on the lower income scale.

You ok?
    I was making an observation on what I have seen, not condoning it.

redbel05 wrote: »
    Spotted this one and it genuinely made me smile... https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/gortnamona-ballingeary-co-cork/3930407

sheer perfection.. pity not for rent... ;) Lovely area...

Graces7 wrote: »
    and i have lived long term in the UK in bedsitters at least that small, albeit not with the toilet in there, but even that is better than a shared bathroom can be ... and with a single bed. and no wardrobe , just a few hooks

That doesn't make it an acceptable standard though Grace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

Nomis21 wrote: »

It doesn't excuse the price, but it's better to have a structure there, no matter how bad the condition, so you're not subject to the vagiaries of the planning process regarding one-off housing.

"Druids Rock"
    I love old cottages and farmhouses, but I'm just looking at the BER rating on that and shivering.

It's cute but the green carpet looks like indoor grass!

These international comparisons drive me mad, when people throw standards out the window.

If you're setting policy solely with reference to what is acceptable to other countries, policymaking becomes an international race to the bottom.

Why don't we look to what *works* in other countries through the prism of our own ethics and standards for what constitutes personal dignity? I've lived in London for a few years and I would hate to see Londoners' standards of life being applied here, in a wide variety of circumstances, from work practices, to accommodation, and even public transport isn't all it's cracked up to be, especially the cost of it and the weekend/ out-of-hours service is a joke for a city of its size and wealth.

These international comparisons drive me mad, when people throw standards out the window.

If you're setting policy solely with reference to what is acceptable to other countries, policymaking becomes an international race to the bottom.

Why don't we look to what *works* in other countries through the prism of our own ethics and standards for what constitutes personal dignity? I've lived in London for a few years and I would hate to see Londoners' standards of life being applied here, in a wide variety of circumstances, from work practices, to accommodation, and even public transport isn't all it's cracked up to be, especially the cost of it and the weekend/ out-of-hours service is a joke for a city of its size and wealth.

you obviously didn't get my point at all. strange.

anyway, thread is lighthearted, so I let out my viewpoint and end here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,038 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

twill wrote: »
    It doesn't excuse the price, but it's better to have a structure there, no matter how bad the condition, so you're not subject to the vagiaries of the planning process regarding one-off housing.

I think most councils won't count an old wreck that hasn't been lived in for decades as an "existing house" for planning purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,016 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why don't we look to what *works* in other countries through the prism of our own ethics and standards for what constitutes personal dignity? .

You mean the standards that apply in a country with Direct Provision, Grace, Aras Attracta
    .. and not so long ago had industrial schools, Magdelele laundies and Mother and Baby homes.

Yeah, great standards there.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Those London flats aren't all that bad, there are places like that in Dublin, the difference is that in London they would at least be a newish build and decentish construction, and designed to make use of the space. But in Dublin they would be flats in converted houses, which wouldn't be as usable, because of stuff like pointless chimnies taking up floor space, weird shapes , too much furniture, and walls you can't use because of heaters mounted halfway up them.

you obviously didn't get my point at all. strange.

anyway, thread is lighthearted, so I let out my viewpoint and end here.
    Er, I was agreeing with you, and expanding on what you said.
    You mean the standards that apply in a country with Direct Provision, Grace, Aras Attracta
    The suggestion that we should discriminate international policies based on our own ethical worldview, in no way suggests that our existing policies are necessarily in line with that view or those ethics.

When it comes to housing, we have to robustly scrutinize our own policies, and those of our international friends, in line with our values as a society.

You ok?
    I was making an observation on what I have seen, not condoning it.

yeah, sorry, I was more referring to the poster before you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement