Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Houses/Flats to rent

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

You know it will never be temporarily when you allow garden sheds being advertised as "houses"

Yes, it looks better than lots of bedsits but that means those bedsits should be banned, not garden sheds being allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

inforfun wrote: »
    You know it will never be temporarily when you allow garden sheds being advertised as "houses"

?
    who wants to live his whole life in a garden shed? very small percentage I would say. so it will be temporarily for the people who live in it.
    Yes, it looks better than lots of bedsits but that means those bedsits should be banned, not garden sheds being allowed.

yes, I agree wholeheartely with you. but the economy obviously didn't allow or managed to keep up with building necessary space to live for the people in Ireland for the last years, so I'm just thinking practical here and to solve a problem.

and you can argue the other way around also, if those (often illegally fitted) bedsits are not banned, why ban this (maybe legal from all building regs sides) sheds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

tara73 wrote: »
    ?
    who wants to live his whole life in a garden shed? very small percentage I would say. so it will be temporarily for the people who live in it.

yes, I agree wholeheartely with you. but the economy obviously didn't allow or managed to keep up with building necessary space to live for the people in Ireland for the last years, so I'm just thinking practical here and to solve a problem.

and you can argue the other way around also, if those (often illegally fitted) bedsits are not banned, why ban this (maybe legal from all sides) sheds?

Of course no one wants to live in those forever. But that "landlord" doesnt care if he rents it out to 1 person for 20 years or to 20 people for 1 year each.

As long as you have landlords in the dail, this will never get solved.
    The wrong stuff is being built and the wrong people are landlords
    It will only get worse.

It will only get worse.

yes, it's part of the capitalistic system, to keep housing always short, otherwise landlords wouldn't be guaranteed their lifelong profits. And this is everywhere the same, not only in Ireland.

that's why I have the feeling there's a consensus out there to give this log cabins a very bad reputation, because it can become an alternative living space in the hands of private people and therefore a threat to the housing market in the hands of big investors/investment companies/banks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Of course no one wants to live in those forever. But that "landlord" doesnt care if he rents it out to 1 person for 20 years or to 20 people for 1 year each.

It will only get worse.

If they are indeed log cabins, they are nothing like a garden shed !
    I think a lot of Canadians, Americans, Scandis would be insulted by you definition of a log cabin.

I'd rather live my whole life in a proper cabin than 1 month in a bedsit.

• Advertisement

I'd rather live my whole life in a proper cabin than 1 month in a bedsit.

yes, I think so too. I know there are shabby and completely overpriced cabins here too, but that on the ad looked decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

gizmo81 wrote: »

A housing crisis in Cork?

You boggers dont know you're born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

gizmo81 wrote: »

Saw that earlier. I actually thought they were OK. Better than some of the "apartments" in Dublin that cost more than that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Oh I agree they definitely were better than some yokes in Dublin but still i wouldn't be advocating for them.

Saw that earlier. I actually thought they were OK. Better than some of the "apartments" in Dublin that cost more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

Went to view this gem last night the mould over the presses was unreal.
    How an agency can even think about letting it out was crazy.
    And there was a que for the open viewing preying off peoples desperation.

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/studio-apartments-for-rent/clondalkin/millcourt-avenue-clondalkin-dublin-1747542/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

...__... wrote: »

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/studio-apartments-for-rent/clondalkin/millcourt-avenue-clondalkin-dublin-1747542/
    ACCOMMODATION comprises of large open plan room suitable for single or couple

Maybe I should ask the misses would she like to move in there lol. Could not see 2 people living in it. Plus it looks like its in someones back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

That makes me cry for humanity!

what's that hand wash basin next to the entrance door is doing there??
    rule of house: every guest coming in first to wash his hands there...hahaha, strange arrangement...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

That makes me cry for humanity!

There's a seat for you there on photo 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,017 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

those bedsits should be banned, not garden sheds being allowed.

Why should bedsits be banned? They are perfectly suitable for some people. Especially people who don't have much money, and don't want to waste what little they have on more accommodation than they need in order to make middle class luvvies feel better about how everyone lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

It was in the back garden cleverly numbered 20A
    did anyone spot the overflow pipe into the shower I blatantly took a picture of it on my phone.

I wouldn't mind a bedsit if it was to a good standard and was priced reasonably.
    That place was neither as for the size it was the bed and 2 feet to the cooker no room for even a good crying chair.
    and the "breakfast bar" is actually all the space you have to prepare your food all 8 inches deep by 2 feet long!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

It was in the back garden cleverly numbered 20A
    did anyone spot the overflow pipe into the shower I blatantly took a picture of it on my phone.

I wouldn't mind a bedsit if it was to a good standard and was priced reasonably.
    That place was neither as for the size it was the bed and 2 feet to the cooker no room for even a good crying chair.
    and the "breakfast bar" is actually all the space you have to prepare your food all 8 inches deep by 2 feet long!

That shelf in pic 5 is the breakfast bar is it? Jesus wept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Ah lads the standard of accommodation is completely unacceptable for an otherwise well performing city. Im not really feeling enough anger in the general public. Our representatives in government have been sitting on their hands doing nothing. The shortage of supply has been a known issues for years now.

Its a spiralling disaster. Brexit migration will make it worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

jjbrien wrote: »
    Maybe I should ask the misses would she like to move in there lol. Could not see 2 people living in it. Plus it looks like its in someones back garden.

It's a shedsit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

"IDEAL TENANT MUST BE ADEPT AT GYMNASTIC MOVES" to edge your way out of the shower.
    Careful not to trip on the loo and hit your head on the sink on the way out.
    The towel would be located, emm... where exactly?

"GREAT FOR TENANT WITH FREAKISHLY LONG ARMS" ...as loo paper would locate on very high ledge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

DunnoKidz wrote: »
    "IDEAL TENANT MUST BE ADEPT AT GYMNASTIC MOVES" to edge your way out of the shower.
    Careful not to trip on the loo and hit your head on the sink on the way out.
    The towel would be located, emm... where exactly?

"GREAT FOR TENANT WITH FREAKISHLY LONG ARMS" ...as loo paper would locate on very high ledge.

Maybe this guy is looking for a place

C.B Fry
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._B._Fry

well into his seventies he claimed he was still able to perform his party trick: leaping from a stationary position backwards onto a mantelpiece

Aglomerado wrote: »
    It's a shedsit!

hahaha, great word for that.

and it comes with a green roof...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    There's a seat for you there on photo 6

Excellent :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

tara73 wrote: »
    what's that hand wash basin next to the entrance door is doing there??
    rule of house: every guest coming in first to wash his hands there...hahaha, strange arrangement...

I'd say it's to wash the filth off your hands on the way out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Why should bedsits be banned? They are perfectly suitable for some people. Especially people who don't have much money, and don't want to waste what little they have on more accommodation than they need in order to make middle class luvvies feel better about how everyone lives.

Fair enough, I wouldn't want to be living in one in middle age, but when I was in college/20s, most of us lived in crummy bedsits or horrendous, ancient, shared flats (similar - and often worse! - than the ones listed here) and I remember those times pretty fondly. Maybe it's just down to a different generation.

Obviously there is a genuine housing shortage (espcially for families) at the moment but you need to separate that genuine need from the usual boards noise of 20/30 somethings howling in anguish because they're loath to live in the suburbs/commuter belt of a capital city and consider it a personal affront that low/medium incomes don't get you a redbrick in D6.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

I used to get a great laugh from reading this thread.

Now, as someone who's currently looking to move somewhere new due to rent increases it's a bit too close to the bone.

It gets me excited to study architecture again, if not but to reinvent affordable (yet liveable) homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

It's **** and scary ain't it kids.

and the prices are stunning!

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement