Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Houses/Flats to rent

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

This house will not cost 100k or less to rebuild :eek:
    here is a link https://www.scsi.ie/advice/house_rebuilding_calculator
    You would be looking at easy 250k to rebuild.

And that's not counting the cost of the site which doesn't come into a rebuild (as you've already bought it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

awec wrote: »
    It's not really. The property linked is a very desirable property.

It's a good size (in Dublin terms) with 4 beds, with a good size front garden and a good sized back garden. It has a separate garage and a conservatory (yet still retains a pretty large garden).

Maybe in comparison todays hosues they are good sized gardens but that looks small for the era it was built in.
    It's in leafy Kilmacud, a quiet and relatively affluent suburb. 5 minutes walk to the Luas, 2 mins on the Luas to Dundrum shopping centre, 20 minutes into town, pubs within walking distance, 2 minute drive to the m50, 10 minute walk into Stillorgan, good schools in the area.

Ok have to take issue with your timings.
    From there it is more than 5 min walk to Luas stop, unless of course you are Rob Heffernan. :D
    Also longer than 2 minute drive to M50 as you get stuck at at least 3 sets of lights so say 5 min.
    And it is about 15 min walk to Stillorgan shopping centre.

It is good location though and there is good hurling school down the road. ;)
    It ticks pretty much every single box for what people want for a family home.

And with all due respect to Tallaght, there is no comparison here.

Agree.
    pilly wrote: »
    Exactly, ex council house at best. Don't know why people think otherwise.

WTF.
    That is a standard enough two storey semi D, thousands of which were built around the country.
    It is no way an ex council house.
    And from knowing that area there wouldn't be preponderance of council houses.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Ush1 wrote: »
    Agree and I don't think you would get the equivalent house in Tallaght for half the price, I'd be shocked and I live in Tallaght.

This one, may not be half but given you'd be spending another 50k to modernise the Stillorgan one it is.

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/tallaght/155-the-meadows-east-belgard-heights-tallaght-dublin-1499766/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yeahhh half a million. No thanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

This one, may not be half but given you'd be spending another 50k to modernise the Stillorgan one it is.

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/tallaght/155-the-meadows-east-belgard-heights-tallaght-dublin-1499766/

545k + 50k = 595k
    375k x 2 = 750k

So, it's way more than double even taking into account the cost to modernise the Stillorgan place.

• Advertisement

545k + 50k = 595k
    375k x 2 = 750k

So, it's way more than double even taking into account the cost to modernise the Stillorgan place.

Still 220k that I'd prefer to have in my pocket.

People have this idea that it doesn't matter because it's a mortgage. But if someone actually sat down and thought would I shell out 220k for an address in Stillorgan? Answer would definitely be no if you had to take it out of your pocket.

• Administrators Posts: 53,990 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Still 220k that I'd prefer to have in my pocket.

People have this idea that it doesn't matter because it's a mortgage. But if someone actually sat down and thought would I shell out 220k for an address in Stillorgan? Answer would definitely be no if you had to take it out of your pocket.

I am pretty sure absolutely nobody has this idea, but if people can afford the mortgage on a 545k house then the choice between living in Kilmacud or living in Tallaght is a no brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'm not sure where to start. For one, the BER is lower in the house in Tallaght as regards modernising so would likely need work, also the house in Kilmacud is still bigger (1464 vs 1365 square foot).

So location aside, it's still can be argued the house in Kilmacud is more desirable hence the price.

I am pretty sure absolutely nobody has this idea, but if people can afford the mortgage on a 545k house then the choice between living in Kilmacud or living in Tallaght is a no brainer.

That's just it, it's not a no brainer. :rolleyes: It shows no brains, you're right there.

That's just it, it's not a no brainer. :rolleyes: It shows no brains, you're right there.

Of course it is, what on earth are you on about?

Do you honestly think people who can afford half a million mortgages are looking at semi detached properties in Tallaght?

What next? It's brainless to buy in Tallaght cause you could get a house for half the price in Longford?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭blackwhite

jmayo wrote: »
    Maybe in comparison todays hosues they are good sized gardens but that looks small for the era it was built in.

Ok have to take issue with your timings.
    From there it is more than 5 min walk to Luas stop, unless of course you are Rob Heffernan. :D
    Also longer than 2 minute drive to M50 as you get stuck at at least 3 sets of lights so say 5 min.
    And it is about 15 min walk to Stillorgan shopping centre.

It is good location though and there is good hurling school down the road. ;)

Agree.

WTF.
    That is a standard enough two storey semi D, thousands of which were built around the country.
    It is no way an ex council house.
    And from knowing that area there wouldn't be preponderance of council houses.

It's approx 4 min run to the Luas - based on passing it yesterday evening :D

10 min to Stillorgan walking wouldn't be unreasonable - the SC is the far side of Stillorgan to it. 10min would have you at the Mill House.

It's a great location alright though - I pass it most evenings and have been meaning to look it up each evening, but have forgotten by the time I get home!

TBH - €545k is low for that size house in that area. Reflective of the work that'd need to be done TBH.

4-bed "forever home" size houses are in such short supply that it's driving prices up significantly in that part of the city :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

People and banks who thought they could afford the mortgage is what caused a lot of ****.

And spending 600k on that house is exactly what will cause **** again.

Someone who can really afford it would not spend 600k on it.

Of course it is, what on earth are you on about?

Do you honestly think people who can afford half a million mortgages are looking at semi detached properties in Tallaght?

What next? It's brainless to buy in Tallaght cause you could get a house for half the price in Longford?

Someone who could actually "afford" to buy that house would need to be earning 125k, that's serious money to be earning as one earner. If there are 2 earners you're counting on both staying in full time employment forever.

Those are the type of people that will buy that house, those who are barely managing it and who will be in serious **** come the next recession. That's my point.

The multi-millionaires of Ireland are certainly not going to buy that house.

inforfun wrote: »
    People and banks who thought they could afford the mortgage is what caused a lot of ****.

And spending 600k on that house is exactly what will cause **** again.

Someone who can really afford it would not spend 600k on it.

This is nothing like the tiger days.

**** happened because people were getting mortgages far above their affordability levels. Prices were being driven up by massive amounts of flaky credit.

Nowadays, there are quite a few checks and balances in terms of affordability and the amount you can borrow. Prices are going up for an entirely different reason - a lack of supply.

This is nothing like the tiger days.

**** happened because people were getting mortgages far above their affordability levels. Prices were being driven up by massive amounts of flaky credit.

Nowadays, there are quite a few checks and balances in terms of affordability and the amount you can borrow. Prices are going up for an entirely different reason - a lack of supply.

Okay, carry on believing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

You would have to hope that such an extreme lack of supply is not going to last forever though. Then what happens to house prices?

Anyway, back on topic, the place in Stillorgan would be a film/TV location manager's dream if they were making something set in the 70s :)

Someone who could actually "afford" to buy that house would need to be earning 125k, that's serious money to be earning as one earner. If there are 2 earners you're counting on both staying in full time employment forever.

Those are the type of people that will buy that house, those who are barely managing it and who will be in serious **** come the next recession. That's my point.

The multi-millionaires of Ireland are certainly not going to buy that house.

You mean like for every single mortgage ever taken out? :confused:

If you can afford a 100k mortgage based on your salary you are still counting on being employed forever.

You don't need to be earning any specific amount either, it all depends on your deposit.

maudgonner wrote: »
    You would have to hope that such an extreme lack of supply is not going to last forever though. Then what happens to house prices?

Anyway, back on topic, the place in Kilmacud would be a film/TV location manager's dream if they were making something set in the 70s :)

Prices come down but this is not the sort of house you buy with a plan to move on in 5 years time. This is the stereotypical long term family home.

You mean like for every single mortgage ever taken out? :confused:

If you can afford a 100k mortgage based on your salary you are still counting on being employed forever.

Oh my dear lord, really? I can see I'm going to have to put this into simple terms for you.

You DON'T HAVE TO BORROW THE MAXIMUM YOU ARE ALLOWED.

If you do then there are too many risks and worries going forward. One or both of you could lose a job, one or both of you could get sick. Marriage could split up and one person could run off. So many options.

Solution, borrow what you can afford under the worst case scenario.

I'm saying this as someone with experience of worst case scenarios happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

How did a thread on "Funny Houses/Flats to Rent" turn into a raging argument discussion on the merits of taking out a mortgage to buy a €500K+ house :confused:

(which I may or may not have contributed to myself)

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    How did a thread on "Funny Houses/Flats to Rent" turn into a raging argument discussion on the merits of taking out a mortgage to buy a €500K+ house :confused:

Yeah you're right. Lets drop it. I just hate this general feeling of ah sure it's great value for 545, let's have 2.

Getting back on topic, it's a nightmare gaff. The carpets alone would fill a skip.

Intrigued to see this bank who will lend you money and the repayment term is "forever". :confused:

"You're not planning on dying ever are you?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Exactly, ex council house at best. Don't know why people think otherwise.
    Ush1 wrote: »
    How do you know it's ex council? Doesn't look it to me.
    I know that area well. That's not a council house. Pilly is talking out of an orifice usually reserved for other purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/santry/12-shanowen-road-santry-dublin-1484720/

I posted this somewhere else before, I'm still amazed that someone's asking that money for Santry for a house that's close to falling apart really. I know someone living 3 houses down and these houses are absolute old, chilly sh1te.

These aren't houses to rent, they are for sale and don't confuse old carpet and superficial things with "falling apart" which would indicate structural defects which I doubt houses of that age have.

As I said, I know someone living in the same terrace and these houses really are not great from a structural PoV. But I won't take the bait and join this heated argument I just came into.

LirW wrote: »
    As I said, I know someone living in the same terrace and these houses really are not great from a structural PoV. But I won't take the bait and join this heated argument I just came into.

If it has structural defects it's clearly not worth the price but that isn't obvious from the ad to be fair.

All the houses there suffer from draft, are really cold and a good few back walls have significant cracks there. It's just really old houses that weren't built great.
    Beside that, no house in the area went for that much during the last 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

blackwhite wrote: »
    It's approx 4 min run to the Luas - based on passing it yesterday evening :D

10 min to Stillorgan walking wouldn't be unreasonable - the SC is the far side of Stillorgan to it. 10min would have you at the Mill House.

I would hope you can run faster than you walk.

It's downhill on the way down, but uphill on the way back after of course you have added some extra weight in the Mill House and Aprile's. ;)
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Yes, can anybody put up a link to a desirable container studio apartment in someone's yard or back field ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

That Stillorgan house is a time capsule.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement