Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Houses/Flats to rent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,194 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

cisk wrote: »
    Looks pretty bleak inside and then you notice the special guest in the corner :eek:

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/artane/67-whitethorn-road-artane-dublin-1636627/

That place is grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭mojesius

Grayson wrote: »
    That place is grim.

'Master bedroom comes with antique, crusty crying chair'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'm baffled that a lot of people still think it's perfectly okay to pay 390k for this place. I understand it's within the M50 but it's far away from being a steal.

It's a grand if not quite old part of Artane/Beaumont but yeah €390k is a crazy price for the state of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

What I don't understand is the crap photography being used to sell a house.
    If I wanted to sell a dress on eBay, I'd sent it for dry cleaning if it were any way dirty. I'd make sure the photos made it look pretty, I'd put it on a mannequin, make sure I had good lighting, etc. I'd spend time and effort.
    These people are trying to sell their house and the photos are terrible!! The ones of the red check floor look like they've dip in them.
    I think if they'd disposed of all the furniture and creepy teddy bear and spent a few quid wallpaper stripper, a neutral paint/ carpet/lino they'd probably do quite well for themselves.

• Advertisement

TresGats wrote: »
    If I wanted to sell a dress on eBay, I'd sent it for dry cleaning if it were any way dirty. I'd make sure the photos made it look pretty, I'd put it on a mannequin, make sure I had good lighting, etc. I'd spend time and effort.
    These people are trying to sell their house and the photos are terrible!! The ones of the red check floor look like they've dip in them.
    I think if they'd disposed of all the furniture and creepy teddy bear and spent a few quid wallpaper stripper, a neutral paint/ carpet/lino they'd probably do quite well for themselves.
    To be honest, most sellers of this type of property (probate sale) really don't care as the buyers are often "professionals" who will more than likely just rent out the rooms, so they don't care about shabby.
    All they're interested in is rental yield.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭up for anything

TresGats wrote: »

I never got this since I came home from working in the UK twenty years ago. In England if you saw a house like that you'd be delighted as you could get a few quid off as a fixer upper and put your own stamp on it. Here in Ireland, it seems that people want to be able to move into some place picture perfect and don't mind paying through the nose for it. I've had friends tell me that estate agents have told them to buy new duvet covers and tea towels etc to make the place look enticing. Fecking joke. If I went to the bother of stripping wallpaper and painting with new carpet I'd be looking for a return on my materials and labour driving up the price.

I never got this since I came home from working in the UK twenty years ago. In England if you saw a house like that you'd be delighted as you could get a few quid off as a fixer upper and put your own stamp on it. Here in Ireland, it seems that people want to be able to move into some place picture perfect and don't mind paying through the nose for it. I've had friends tell me that estate agents have told them to buy new duvet covers and tea towels etc to make the place look enticing. Fecking joke. If I went to the bother of stripping wallpaper and painting with new carpet I'd be looking for a return on my materials and labour driving up the price.

The problem is that in the current climate the fixer upper isn't reflected in the price anymore. When you look at that particular example, you find some 3bed houses for a bit less than the asking and the same kind of 4bed for the same price but in a better condition.
    The "steal" in Dublin is basically non existent. The fixer upper is only marginally cheaper than a house in better condition in the same area. I find the only houses standing out are new-builds or the ones that had Dermot Bannon himself putting some ridiculous windows in.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I never got this since I came home from working in the UK twenty years ago. In England if you saw a house like that you'd be delighted as you could get a few quid off as a fixer upper and put your own stamp on it.

I lived in England too for many years and kinda agree with you. I bought and sold with that frame of mind too, but that house in Whitethorn isn't priced at "fixer-upper" price.
    Whitethorn's a grand area but 390k is kinda top price for that at "move in" condition (which it's not).

Edit...like what LirW says.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Grim. :( Looks like absolutely nothing was done with the house since it was built in circa 1976.

Hell, the bedclothes look like they haven’t been changed and washed since 1976 either!! :eek:

Looks like an ex-rental whereby it was deemed unfit for human habitation and now they are trying to flog it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

LirW wrote: »
    The problem is that in the current climate the fixer upper isn't reflected in the price anymore. When you look at that particular example, you find some 3bed houses for a bit less than the asking and the same kind of 4bed for the same price but in a better condition.
    The "steal" in Dublin is basically non existent. The fixer upper is only marginally cheaper than a house in better condition in the same area. I find the only houses standing out are new-builds or the ones that had Dermot Bannon himself putting some ridiculous windows in.

People are so desperate for housing that for sure there will be a bidding war on that too. Its gonna end up selling for way more than 390k

There was a house in my local that was put up for 400k, and to say it was just about standing was an understatement. It would make the above look like a palace. It needed total gutting and restructuring.

400k was too much for it, but it eventually sold for north of 675k

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/mt-alexander-gorey-wexford/4192907

Fancy getting yourself a house straight out of the 70s where the previous owner ripped literally everything out that had any value for a huge premium? They even put away the shower fittings.

"completely upgraded to a more modern style home" me ar5e

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭mojesius

I really hope picture 4 isn't the dining table. You'd be repeatedly banging your head off the wall wondering how you got there.

https://m.myhome.ie/rentals/brochure/highfield-park-dundrum-dublin-14/4173086

Cosy!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

mojesius wrote: »
    I really hope picture 4 isn't the dining table. You'd be repeatedly banging your head off the wall wondering how you got there.

Cosy!

Nah... that is the elegant and spacious home office for the professional who is going to get fleeced there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Cosy!

850 euros a month, attached to your landlords house with your front window directly where he puts his wheelie bins.

What a f*cking rip off :)

I am genuinely disgusted

• Registered Users Posts: 16,194 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

redcup342 wrote: »
    850 euros a month, attached to your landlords house with your front window directly where he puts his wheelie bins.

I am genuinely disgusted

And the plastic roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,159 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

redcup342 wrote: »

Cosy!

I am genuinely disgusted
    Brie Larsson had more space in 'Room'.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Every day I see this thread pop up I wonder when someone will petition to have the title changed to:
    "Bleak depressing price inflated Houses/Flats to rent, or how our future is being robbed from us"

I preferred it when the places were genuinely absurd like the Marilyn Monroe house, or that one in the North with the see through bath in the conservatory overlooked by the whole neighbourhood (and the 'fleg' motifs everywhere, naturally).

I don't know what the despair emoji is, but we could use it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Owner occupier wants you.
    http://www.daft.ie/3992648
    Lovely SELF CONTAINED BEDROOM available for rent in the foothills of the Dublin mountains. The double room is equipped with
    Fridge, Microwave, Toaster and Electric Kettle - see photo.
    There is also full use of your own Private Bathroom.
    There will be NO ACCESS to the main kitchen

zcFVXZK.jpg

And still 550 quid for it!

Good thing that Tasty does a lot of Microwave recipes lately.

• Advertisement

LirW wrote: »
    And still 550 quid for it!
    Good thing that Tasty does a lot of Microwave recipes lately.
    You can hang your clothes to dry. Toaster, kettle + microwave will dry them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

zell12 wrote: »
    Owner occupier wants you.
    http://www.daft.ie/3992648

Thats a fcuking disgrace. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Unreal. €550 per month and don't you dare leave your room. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

That has made me angry

• Registered Users Posts: 13,159 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

pilly wrote: »

Unreal. €550 per month and don't you dare leave your room. :mad:
    Where da fouk do you hang your clothes when the wardrobe is doubling up as a kitchen?
    Maybe there's a clothes rack in the utility room....oh wait you're forbidden there.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭lorcand1990

It's actually scary & the sad thing is if left up someone will rent it. I really hope it's illegal & forced to come down

It's owner occupied.
    No legal protection. So, anything goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭lorcand1990

zell12 wrote: »
    It's owner occupied.
    No legal protection. So, anything goes.

Wow, didn't know that.. That's pretty depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

Do these standards not apply to licencees? See cooking and washing up facilities.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

shaunr68 wrote: »
    Do these standards not apply to licencees? See cooking and washing up facilities.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

Nope, those apply to tenants, not licensees.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement