Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Houses/Flats to rent

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Except thats exactly what BnB is.
    I think the ad has been taken down, did it specify you get breakfast cooked for you by the owner occupier every morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Billy86 wrote: »
    I think the ad has been taken down, did it specify you get breakfast cooked for you by the owner occupier every morning?
    No.
    It was clear. No kitchen access and a minimum 6 month lease

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

They seem to, was wondering if it would appear in newspapers

zell12 wrote: »
    It's good to see that the naming and shaming that goes on here actually achieves something when ads like this are picked up by the MSM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

The room would suit a shift worker working in Dublin 3 days a week and at home in the country for the remainder of the time.

Not ideal but I recall doing precisely this when moving to Dublin on a shift job 20 years ago.

The kitchen was effectively off limits due to the abysmal hygiene practices of the other house share people, also shift workers.

Basically everyone was too tired to clean up after themselves.

The requirements for 4 ring cookers, cooking and laundry facilities may be relevant for families but there is a lot of single renters out there on part time or shift work who could manage an arrangement like this and eat out for the 3 days work or part time.

When houses are going nearly 2k per month €550 pm seems to be arithmetically correct but is an indication of a stressed market....1/3 of most peoples wages gone on a room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

jmayo wrote: »
    No it isn't and if that is your idea of a B&B then it says a lot about you.
    And hopefully you are not involved in the trade.

Actually I think this poster said they are a landlord in a thread on the Galway forum, where they were actually defending a 2-bed property in Galway City with four bunk beds (8 beds), charging €100 pw, per bed....think it worked out at about 40k a year.

Thread is here

Don't know how or why people try to rationalise and defend these practices.

It's good for their business model, even better if they can convince people that this is the "new normal!"

It would need a government committed to improving accommodation standards, rather than improving the profitability of letting for landlords like this.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

zell12 wrote: »

Housing Minister Eoghan Murphy has said he is open to the idea of making it an offence for websites to accept advertisements for below-standard rental homes.

Better get your arses in gear there and make sure people with a full time job can buy or rent a proper place.
    That way cowboys like cupboard-landlord will not even think about trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,194 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Jake1 wrote: »

I like wood but that's a lot. An awful lot.

And the garden looks so desolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Grayson wrote: »
    I like wood but that's a lot. An awful lot.

And the garden looks so desolate.

You could always plant a few trees!

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    You could always plant a few trees!

and not see the wood for the trees?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

That looks like a giant sauna!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Looks like one of the Honka wooden import things

250k for a house in the middle of nowhere ... wtf :rolleyes:

redcup342 wrote: »
    Looks like one of the Honka wooden import things

250k for a house in the middle of nowhere ... wtf :rolleyes:

Still out in "The sticks" but different price. Near me, been a couple of years since I've been in there, but some have mooring on the canal at the end of the garden.

http://www.property.ie/property-for-sale/Ballyconnell-Cavan-Ballyconnell-Co-Cavan/1227038/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Actually I think this poster said they are a landlord in a thread on the Galway forum, where they were actually defending a 2-bed property in Galway City with four bunk beds (8 beds), charging €100 pw, per bed....think it worked out at about 40k a year.

Thread is here

Ahh I have met landlords in the past like herself.
    They actually think that people should be damn grateful to them even though they are charging well for the use of THEIR property, usually don't believe they should pay taxes, wonder why people complain when things don't work or breakdown. :rolleyes:

That needed some serious amount of varnishing.

Someone spent some time in somewhere like Canada I would bet.
    This may work when it is a proper log house, but they still usually throw in a liberal amount of stonework to break the look up.

I am not allowed discuss …

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Still out in "The sticks" but different price. Near me, been a couple of years since I've been in there, but some have mooring on the canal at the end of the garden.

http://www.property.ie/property-for-sale/Ballyconnell-Cavan-Ballyconnell-Co-Cavan/1227038/

That would make a nice holiday home. The setting is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Grayson wrote: »
    That would make a nice holiday home. The setting is lovely.

Looks more suited to Bavaria than Cavan though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭BandMember

Those wooden houses must be baltic in the winter! I certainly wouldn't want to live in something like that or try to heat it..... You'd have to imagine that the owner would be on tinderhooks the whole time afraid of any stray sparks from the stove as they have "fire hazard" written all over them....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

All those places remind me of are the scenes from Breaking Bad when Walter starts to lose it.

BandMember wrote: »
    Those wooden houses must be baltic in the winter! I certainly wouldn't want to live in something like that or try to heat it..... You'd have to imagine that the owner would be on tinderhooks the whole time afraid of any stray sparks from the stove as they have "fire hazard" written all over them....

Seeing them all over Scandinavia where it is quite a bit colder tells me a different story.
    It is all about proper isolation. Something that is seriously lacking over here.

inforfun wrote: »
    Seeing them all over Scandinavia where it is quite a bit colder tells me a different story.
    It is all about proper isolation. Something that is seriously lacking over here.

You got that right.

Ah **** it.

Dutch for insulation is ..... Isolatie
    Which is just too close to isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

I lived in a small wooden house in the parents back garden for a few years... Yes they can be nice & toasty if proper insulated, if not they are beyond cold!! My parents didn't put any thought into insulation when buying it & I paid for it two fold in my electricity bill...
    I wouldn't dismiss living in one in the future but it would have to be kitted out & insulated properly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

BandMember wrote: »

They're actually the complete opposite, really warm. Wouldn't need much heating at all.

Chancing their arm trying to have the mooring sold separately I think!
    I'd say you'd get it and most of the furniture also if you had a bit of cash to offer.
    You are about 20 minutes to Cavan town, 40 to Enniskillen, and 5 to the border. (Cheap heating oil. :D)

Those trees are bloody close to the sides. I'd be taking down a row or two.

inforfun wrote: »
    Ah **** it.

Dutch for insulation is ..... Isolatie
    Which is just too close to isolation.

Only messing with you :)

Dont think i ll ever forget it now though.....

• Advertisement

Let's put three beds in that sitting room.
    https://twitter.com/jackpower83/status/959786995034750976

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement