Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Houses/Flats to rent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

:eek:
    I guarantee you someone has died in that bath.

Have to say at least the price is reasonable. Trip to ikea would sort that place out.
    Storage heaters + electric heaters in each room, electric bills would be astronomical id say, that place must be freezing in winter the storage heaters look totally undersized and i can tell looking at it theres prob no wall insulation and old windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Thargor wrote: »
    Except Ive never had it and the years Ive spent not paying it would pay many times over for brand new laptops/phone/360/tv whatever if anything did happen, Id prefer having the thousands of Euro in the bank ready to pay for new stuff if I need it rather than handing it over to some insurance salesman every month who'll probably fcuk me on some technicality if I ever do try to claim.

Electronics these days don't last long enough to bother insuring them anyway.

I paid 65 euro a year.

They paid out when:

my new chest freezer turned out to have a flaw. Freezer was replaced by the shop, insurance paid out for freezer contents.

my 2 year old TV went kaput.

I lost my phone.

the kitchen flooded due to burst pipes and I needed a new floor.

I'm ok with that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I paid 65 euro a year.

They paid out when:

my new chest freezer turned out to have a flaw. Freezer was replaced by the shop, insurance paid out for freezer contents.

my 2 year old TV went kaput.

I lost my phone.

the kitchen flooded due to burst pipes and I needed a new floor.

I'm ok with that. :)
    Yeah something not right there, insurance companies generally dont tolerate losing thousands of euro like that on a 65 euro policy, so I can just pay €65, "lose" my 500 euro phone to a friend and get a new one, arrange a leak in my house to get a new floor instead of the crappy old lino, burn a transistor inside my tv to upgrade to a new one etc and they just pay out every time without ever raising your charges or anything like that?

I think if you tried to con them like that you'd get caught easily. However, my pipes were indeed burst during a documented cold spell, the freezer model I was sold should never have been sold since the manufacturer had recalled it and the TV was sent for repair first. They do require proof, you know. Nor were all of these claims in the one year. Or from the same insurance company, even. Did you know that if you shop around every year you can find better deals? You don't need to give thousands of euros a year at a monthly rate to a man who comes to your door anymore. I've had home contents insurance for over 20 years (and no, the policy was not always 65 euro, for my first bedsit it was 18 punt for 4k of cover) and it gives me peace of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Ever see a gaff and wonder what the catch is?

Abbey Street, 600 euro per month, 2 bedrooms. It'll be a hovel, right? RIGHT?

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1338073

How? Just how? And can I live there please? Look at the BER rating! And gas heating!

These kind of ads make me highly suspicious. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

How? Just how? And can I live there please? Look at the BER rating! And gas heating!

:eek: Six Hundred Quid???

No. That's not right. That CAN'T be right. Either they made a mistake with the ad, or it's in a building populated by junkies and drug dealers, AND next to some sort of Abattoir.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

It's in Abbey St, which with all due respect to anyone decent who lives there is pretty much infested with smackheads. I hope for the sake of whoever does take it that the place has good locks on the doors.

Me too, so I took a look at the street view. One of the bedrooms has long windows with ornate wrought iron railings and shutters on the outside. 24 Abbey Street Lower err... doesn't. Nor do any of the buildings opposite look like any of the views you can glimpse out of the windows in the pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

The catch is its a scam...defo
    Check out the sockets in the kitchen.... 2 pin circular.
    The windows with the shutters and the juliet balcony... not something you'll see in city centre Dublin! :rolleyes:

Broken English in the add
    An unbeatable value for money apartment.

No contact other than email.

All the signs are there. Probably ask you to transfer your deposit through western union too!

Have come across these ads before... ifs its too good to be true then it....etc

No. That's not right. That CAN'T be right. Either they made a mistake with the ad, or it's in a building populated by junkies and drug dealers, AND next to some sort of Abattoir.

My thoughts exactly. 600 would too cheap for a nice 2 bed in the suburbs, never mind the city centre.

• Advertisement

Doop wrote: »
    The catch is its a scam...defo
    Check out the sockets in the kitchen.... 2 pin circular.
    The windows with the shutters and the juliet balcony... not something you'll see in city centre Dublin! :rolleyes:

Broken English in the add

No contact other than email.

All the signs are there. Probably ask you to transfer your deposit through western union too!

Have come across these ads before... ifs its too good to be true then it....etc

Agreed. The perfect BER rating is the indicator. I've never seen any other place with an perfect BER, even really nice gaffs might be a B.

I saw two others gaffs like this a few weeks ago on Daft, but they were in really rough areas.

Custardpi wrote: »
    It's in Abbey St, which with all due respect to anyone decent who lives there is pretty much infested with smackheads. I hope for the sake of whoever does take it that the place has good locks on the doors.

Living in a rough area doesn't bother me personally. I've done it before. It's more about the ridiculousness of the ad. :)

The bedroom through the doorway in pic 2 looks a bit fake too. Superimposed or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Yeah definitely a scam. That part of Abbey Street doesnt have those windows. Looks like Paris or somewhere.

Daft is usually quite good at filtering out the scammers because they can track advertisers using visa/ maestro card payment.

Others like gumtree and craigslist (especially craigslist are a haven for scammers).

Yeah definitely a scam. That part of Abbey Street doesnt have those windows. Looks like Paris or somewhere.

Daft is usually quite good at filtering out the scammers because they can track advertisers using visa/ maestro card payment.

Others like gumtree and craigslist (especially craigslist are a haven for scammers).

I suppose one or two dodgy ones slips through the net. But even if someone's interest was piqued, hopefully they would realise quickly. One hopes! Can you report ads to Daft? The ones I saw a few weeks ago were only up for a matter of hours, which probably either means that the scammers got a sufficient response and removed the ad themselves, or that Daft removed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

What if you had long legs and wanted to relax in the 'sitting room'???:eek:

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1336316

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Wurly wrote: »
    What if you had long legs and wanted to relax in the 'sitting room'? http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1336316
    That's a garden chalet for dwarves. Check out the space in the bathroom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Reverse search the image

One of the many links, look familiar? http://www.flipkey.com/barcelona-condo-rentals/p237995/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,335 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

lol - when you click on the pic of the exterior, the ad at the bottom is for doll's houses... how appropriate!

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

I suppose one or two dodgy ones slips through the net. But even if someone's interest was piqued, hopefully they would realise quickly. One hopes! Can you report ads to Daft? The ones I saw a few weeks ago were only up for a matter of hours, which probably either means that the scammers got a sufficient response and removed the ad themselves, or that Daft removed it.

You can and I've just done that. Luckily the price is so suspiciously low that I don't think anyone would fall for it. If they'd been asking 1200 I'm sure the scammer would have had lot's of replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 mick_jt

In the fifth picture there is a smiley face on the cupboard :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

hhaahhahaahahahahhahah. This place has SO many levels.

Peel the onion, my friends.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Tsk! You're so finicky. If you have long legs and want to stretch them out, then obviously you open the window and hang the feet out there.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Proco Jr. wrote: »
    24 Abbey Street Lower, Dublin 1, Dublin City Centre
    This Property Has Been Let, here are some similar properties in the area.

Either some sucker fell for it or daft took it down due to fraud. I remeber when i was looking for a place one guy said you can look at the apartment but you will have to pay the deposit to go see it as I am now living overseas. Set alarm bells ringing in my head straight away was quick to send the advert over the the guards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Tsk! You're so finicky. If you have long legs and want to stretch them out, then obviously you open the window and hang the feet out there.:pac:

Could you imagine a house warming party in that lounge?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

jjbrien wrote: »
    Could you imagine a house warming party in that lounge?

It'd be grand for a housewarming!

As long as nobody turned up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

snubbleste wrote: »
    Self contained Living-room/Kitchen, Bedroom, Bathroom: secure bicycle parking.
    Suit vegetarian, vegan, non-smoker, non-TV person or cyclist: internet access. Would consider reducing rent in exchange for help with computer or gardening. ESB and insurance separate charge. Facilities:
    Central Heating Cable Television
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1336347

If you take this room, I am picturing the person you will be sharing with as a pain in the @rse. And a bit weird.

Proco Jr. wrote: »

Cool, was wondering how to do reverse google image search.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

snubbleste wrote: »
    Self contained Living-room/Kitchen, Bedroom, Bathroom: secure bicycle parking.
    Suit vegetarian, vegan, non-smoker, non-TV person or cyclist: internet access. Would consider reducing rent in exchange for help with computer or gardening. ESB and insurance separate charge. Facilities:
    Central Heating Cable Television
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1336347

If you take this room, I am picturing the person you will be sharing with as a bit of a pain. And a bit odd.

• Advertisement

You can and I've just done that. Luckily the price is so suspiciously low that I don't think anyone would fall for it. If they'd been asking 1200 I'm sure the scammer would have had lot's of replies.

Yeah, I wonder why they do that, price it so low? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement