Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Houses/Flats to rent

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1412649

"Unique designer compact apartment".

Admittedly it is quite attractive. However, no mention of a washing machine. In an apartment like this, one would expect the washing machine to be in the kitchen, but the view of the kitchen doesnt show one.

There is also this nugget of interest:

"4'6'' Bed: may be more suitable for a single." :confused:

Presumably the singleton is going to want to bring someone home now and again but wont be able to because 2 people wont fit in the bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

syklops wrote: »
    Admittedly it is quite attractive. However, no mention of a washing machine. In an apartment like this, one would expect the washing machine to be in the kitchen, but the view of the kitchen doesnt show one.

It does say in the ad that there's no washing machine or dishwasher...but there's an "excellent launderette" across the road!

I'd never rent somewhere without a washing machine, but doubtless there are people who would just rather pay someone else to do it for them :(

(pretty nice apartment though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Ideal for nudists maybe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

€1100 for a one bed is nuts
    "Some people have harder necks than they claim" is true!

The flat is not compliant with legislation:
    Washing machine, or access to a communal washing machine facility within the curtilage of the building, and
    Where the house does not contain a garden or yard for the exclusive use of that house, a dryer (vented or recirculation type).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

snubbleste wrote: »
    €1100 for a one bed is nuts
    "Some people have harder necks than they claim" is true!

The flat is not compliant with legislation:
    Washing machine, or access to a communal washing machine facility within the curtilage of the building, and
    Where the house does not contain a garden or yard for the exclusive use of that house, a dryer (vented or recirculation type).

In theory - you might be right.
    In practice - it won't matter.

The market is hot and renters are fighting with each other for a place to stay. I'd be shocked if it is still available in a month. Maybe the new tenants will raise a fuss with PRTB and spend months fighting for their washing machine....or they'll just wash their clothes somewhere else.

• Advertisement

UCDVet wrote: »
    In theory - you might be right.
    In practice - it won't matter.
    The market is hot and renters are fighting with each other for a place to stay. I'd be shocked if it is still available in a month. Maybe the new tenants will raise a fuss with PRTB and spend months fighting for their washing machine....or they'll just wash their clothes somewhere else.
    Eh no, anyone can report the property and advert to the local authority for
    a) not complying with minimum housing standards under S.I. No. 534 of 2008 http://www.dublincity.ie/Housing/EnvironmentalHealth/EnvironmentalHealth/Pages/default.aspx
    b) not displaying a BER in the advertisement under S.I. 243 of 2012 http://www.dublincity.ie/Planning/BuildingControl/Pages/BuildingControl.aspx

a) not complying with minimum housing standards under S.I. No. 534 of 2008 http://www.dublincity.ie/Housing/EnvironmentalHealth/EnvironmentalHealth/Pages/default.aspx
    b) not displaying a BER in the advertisement under S.I. 243 of 2012 http://www.dublincity.ie/Planning/BuildingControl/Pages/BuildingControl.aspx

In theory, anyone can. And if someone did, action would be taken.

But again, in practice, I wouldn't hold my breath. Again, I fully agree that you are 'right'. But, I will be shocked if there is a new listing in a weeks time with a washing machine and BER. If there is, I'll sincerely apologize.

I suspect it will be rented out, as is, just fine.

I've had three different landlords in Dublin and not a single one has met all of their legal requirements. It's par for the course IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Go on then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

It does say in the ad that there's no washing machine or dishwasher...but there's an "excellent launderette" across the road!

I'd never rent somewhere without a washing machine, but doubtless there are people who would just rather pay someone else to do it for them :(

(pretty nice apartment though!)
    A dishwasher I could live without but not a washing machine. For €1,100 a month I expect to be able to wash my clothes whenever I want. The living room is big enough and I would rather have one in the corner and take the look of the place a bit then have to plan my laundry in advance and be traipsing back and forth to the laundrette. I've done my time using laundrettes when back backing.

Maybe they should target soap fanatics and tell them they can have the authentic Eastenders experience and bond with all the neighbours while washing their undies :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

My mate was expecting a baby and recently viewed this apartment. He was told there is a laundrette across the road. He did report this place for not being fit for standard.

• Advertisement

UCDVet wrote: »
    In theory, anyone can. And if someone did, action would be taken.

But again, in practice, I wouldn't hold my breath. Again, I fully agree that you are 'right'. But, I will be shocked if there is a new listing in a weeks time with a washing machine and BER. If there is, I'll sincerely apologize.

I suspect it will be rented out, as is, just fine.

I've had three different landlords in Dublin and not a single one has met all of their legal requirements. It's par for the course IMHO.

Well that's your fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,937 ✭✭✭✭josip

steddyeddy wrote: »
    My mate was expecting a baby and recently viewed this apartment. He was told there is a laundrette across the road. He did report this place for not being fit for standard.

Is he far along?

josip wrote: »
    Is he far along?

Yes he only has two months to go :)

Well that's your fault.

I'm sorry, but there is really no polite way to say this....you're wrong. There is no possible way any reasonable person could find me responsible for my landlords' failures to comply with the law. In one case, it was the sole reason I moved, so I actually took action to avoid having a landlord who wasn't complying with the law. The next two landlords have failed to meet obligations I don't care about. It might be my 'fault' for allowing it to continue, but certainly not my fault they didn't comply in the first place.

Sure, I could write letters and file disputes and pay money and waste my time and, if I'm lucky, in a few months, get a judgement in my favour. But my time and effort isn't free. And the existing system that is in place, as good as it sounds on paper, makes it far to difficult for me to care.

I don't have any obligation to play Landlord Police.
    Landlords (and tenants) have an obligation to comply with the law.

I had an issue and brought it to the landlord. We disagreed. So, went the legal route.....first I called Threshold. Who advised I call PRTB. Who advised I contact the landlord in writing. Then wait....then file a dispute (which costs money out of my pocket). 15 euro to start it (or 25) and then another 40 if the landlord decides to fight it out with you. Whatever your problem is, it's going to be months before you get a resolution.

Great in theory....in practice not so much.

And let's be honest, playing the 'Legal Game' goes both ways. Yes my landlord has a legal obligation to do certain things, but he also has legal rights. For example, I'm paying 900 per month for a one bedroom apartment. I've been here for two years and I have no lease.

There are a handful of small things I don't care much about that my landlord has an obligation to do (but isn't). If I push the issue, I can force him to do so (but it might take months and cost me money out of pocket). But do you know what he can do? He can raise my rent. He has a right to do so. He needs to give the appropriate amount of notice and he can't go beyond 'market price', but it is still his right.

He could find plenty of justification too, rents are up in Dublin. 7.5% just in 2013 from what I understand. I've been renting since before that. There is nothing to stop him from sending me notification of a rent increase of 10% or so. My 900 per month could easily be 1000 per month. So, do I really want to be hassling my landlord written documentation of his legal obligation to provide me with a rent book/receipt of payment? No, I don't think so.

On paper - sure. The law is the law! I have rights as a tenant!
    In practice - I'm not going to bother unless it's something serious enough. And honestly, in most of those cases, I'll just move. If you look at the Accommodation forum on Boards, you'll see I'm not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Vendettaxx

Kersh wrote: »
    Hey, its Ireland, the country of chancers and liars :D

It's funny how on this board you can't even read a page of a thread without a self-hating Irish guy.

Do they think it makes them seem smarter than the average peasant or something? Genuinely wondering. That comment is dated 2011 so it's been happening for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1412649

"Unique designer compact apartment".

There is also this nugget of interest:

"4'6'' Bed: may be more suitable for a single." :confused:

Presumably the singleton is going to want to bring someone home now and again but wont be able to because 2 people wont fit in the bed.

Ad says "No Washing machine or dishwasher.Excellent Laundrette across the road"

Okay been pointed out already.

Surely no washing machine is illegal.

Not sure if washing machines are a legal requirement, but the rent must reflect the lack of one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Okay been pointed out already.

Sadly no washing machine is not illegal, but 1100 for a box in Ranelagh should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Sadly no washing machine is not illegal, but 1100 for a box in Ranelagh should be.

What!!! :eek:
    So someone would need to wash their clothes by hand or go to the lovely laundrette. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

A washing machine is a legal requirement. The laundrette across the road does not satisfy this requirement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

A washing machine is a legal requirement. The laundrette across the road does not satisfy this requirement.
    Never knew that until now, but it's true (see article 8, below).

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/FileDownLoad,33422,en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

However there is no legal requirement for a baby, no matter what your expectation.

Snubbleste pointed out on the previous page that washing machine and a dryer/yard are a legal requirement.

Share a bunk in a big room with someone called Rafael
    Beautiful flat studio for rent for two people, one is currently on it. in pictures shows a double bed, but actually will be a bunkbed, any information call me and i will show you the flat...
    http://www.daft.ie/21411927

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Beautiful flat studio for rent for two people, one is currently on it. in pictures shows a double bed, but actually will be a bunkbed, any information call me and i will show you the flat...

That is a sure fire way to end up murdering someone! It makes me angry that people get away with this shíte! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,937 ✭✭✭✭josip

Who is about 7 foot tall judging by pic 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

My god, can only imagine one person wanting to go to bed and the other cooking his dinner in the same room! ffs €350?? is that half the rent? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Would the crying chair be shared, or would a second be provided?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

This shouldn't be in the sharing section never mind the rentals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Am I seeing things or is the bathroom "open plan" ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement