Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny Houses/Flats to rent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I think Dublin has some way to go before it's as bad as Central London. Case in point:
    We are renting this cute little loft conversion which is a former storage space.
    Please note you cannot stand upright in the room. It comes with its own bedding, parquet flooring and there is enough space to store a few pieces of garment.
    Ideally, it would suit someone less than 5ft 4in tall and with no history of claustrophobia.
    :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

bnt wrote: »
    I think Dublin has some way to go before it's as bad as Central London. Case in point:

that can't be legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Am I seeing things or is the bathroom "open plan" ?

There's a door there on the left, which adds a bit of luxury. If it isn't Rafael sharing the apt, then he's getting 700 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

srsly78 wrote: »
    Would the crying chair be shared, or would a second be provided?

I have to say..

This thread smacks of smug arseholes!!

Most of these adds appear to be directed at people who possibly cannot afford anyplace else to live.

They could probably do without a crowd of condescending pricks judging the only place they can afford..

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

bnt wrote: »

Thats a death trap :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

doughef wrote: »
    I have to say..

Most of these adds appear to be directed at people who possibly cannot afford anyplace else to live.

They could probably do without a crowd of condescending pricks judging the only place they can afford..

I have to say, most of the adds on this thread should not be on the market. They are a damning indictment of landlords in this country. The "shure it ll be grand for renters" attitude is clearly evident. Some of these are not fit for a dog, never mind having the gall to call it a "lovely house" or suchlike

• Registered Users Posts: 13,937 ✭✭✭✭josip

Looks ok from the outside, but inside everything is shaking!

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1285115

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

I have to say..

You've missed the point of the thread completely. Most if not all of the properties shown on this thread do not comply with current legislation regarding Housing standards. I cannot speak for all posters on this thread but I would be relatively certain that the vast majority of posters are not posting in order to look down on any person that may find themselves in a position where these properties are all they can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

blacklilly wrote: »
    You've missed the point of the thread completely. Most if not all of the properties shown on this thread do not comply with current legislation regarding Housing standards. I cannot speak for all posters on this thread but I would be relatively certain that the vast majority of posters are not posting in order to look down on any person that may find themselves in a position where these properties are all they can afford.
    And to add to it most of them are unaffordable to most people. 350 quid to share a bloody bunk bed with some weirdo. It'd be easy enough to find a single room in a houseshare for the same money. Might not be in the same location but still

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Arrow.

I have to say..

So which one are you currently renting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

And to add to it most of them are unaffordable to most people. 350 quid to share a bloody bunk bed with some weirdo. It'd be esy enough to find a single room in a houseshare for the same money. Might not be in the same location but still

Unfortunately as the supply of rental accommodation decreases more and more people will be forced to rent rooms/accommodation like the ones shown in this thread.
    We are facing a huge shortage in renting stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

I have to say..

There, there! Have a *hug*

http://www.pamelamkramer.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/The-crying-chair.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

M5 wrote: »
    I have to say, most of the adds on this thread should not be on the market. They are a damning indictment of landlords in this country. The "shure it ll be grand for renters" attitude is clearly evident. Some of these are not fit for a dog, never mind having the gall to call it a "lovely house" or suchlike

It's a bit of a catch-22...

It's easy to say that something is unfit, but there isn't any alternative for a lot of people. Nobody rents one of these 'unfit' places because they want to live in an unfit place. They rent it because it's the best they can find. Removing those options doesn't magically give them lots of money with which to afford a nice place.

UCDVet wrote: »
    It's a bit of a catch-22...

It's easy to say that something is unfit, but there isn't any alternative for a lot of people. Nobody rents one of these 'unfit' places because they want to live in an unfit place. They rent it because it's the best they can find. Removing those options doesn't magically give them lots of money with which to afford a nice place.

If everything is at the legal level the market will take care of itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

M5 wrote: »
    If everything is at the legal level the market will take care of itself

The 'market' will be fine, sure. But that doesn't mean there won't be people who are priced out of the market or otherwise unable to find a place to rent.

UCDVet wrote: »
    The 'market' will be fine, sure. But that doesn't mean there won't be people who are priced out of the market or otherwise unable to find a place to rent.

It's supply and demand. Same amount if houses, same amount of people looking. It won't price anyone out of the market. Economics 101

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

NAMA really needs to release a lot of rental accommodation on to the market. There are plenty of apartment blocks that could be opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

SpaceTime wrote: »
    NAMA really needs to release a lot of rental accommodation on to the market. There are plenty of apartment blocks that could be opened.

Who'd run them? Also expect landlords to go nuts if the government basically cut the value of rental income. There would be landlords who couldn't pay their mortgage and you suddenly make the mortgage arrears crisis even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Who'd run them? Also expect landlords to go nuts if the government basically cut the value of rental income. There would be landlords who couldn't pay their mortgage and you suddenly make the mortgage arrears crisis even worse.
    It's a terrible position, you either keep housing sparse meaning higher rents, good for landlords, especially with mortgages and in many cases, running costs for apartment complexes. But it means renters are out of pocket for almost the cost of a mortgage a month, and rent allowance costs the government a small fortune.

or

increase properties for rent, lowering rents, saving the government money there, but leaving landlords behind on their mortgages and fees, causing more instability in the backs.

No winning.

Have seen landlords asking 500 for a single room in maynooth. I say Fcuk them....

Never shy about raising prices...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

laugh wrote: »

If they are rarely there then surely the guest bed would suit the owner?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Investment companies. You don't need private landlords. A more german-model might make more sense.
    No reason why you couldn't rent from a pension fund or whoever owns the property.
    The whole notion of having all these amateur landlord-speculators is part of the problem in Ireland and Britain too.

The banks should just repossess investment properties that are in arrears and form property funds of well-managed rental accommodation.
    At the end of the day, it makes more sense that they get the damn debts paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

josip wrote: »
    Looks ok from the outside, but inside everything is shaking!

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1285115

Problem with the camera maybe? :confused:
    Could be because it was Knocktopher.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Investment companies. You don't need private landlords. A more german-model might make more sense.
    No reason why you couldn't rent from a pension fund or whoever owns the property.
    The whole notion of having all these amateur landlord-speculators is part of the problem in Ireland and Britain too.

The banks should just repossess investment properties that are in arrears and form property funds of well-managed rental accommodation.
    At the end of the day, it makes more sense that they get the damn debts paid off.

At the risk of dragging a light hearted thread off-topic, all of what you propose costs money and time.

You need a company to run the day to day stuff like collecting rent and dealing with maintenance and upkeep. Some landlords outsource this to letting agents but this can't be done overnight, not even within a couple of years for the scale that would actually have the desired impact.

The bottom line is doing this will upset the market and is unlikely to win votes and that's why it won't happen. The German model won't be adopted as that's not the culture we have in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DoubtingMary72

it really depends what the other 2 room-mates are like and if they are up for a bita fun. It doesnt sound bad to me given the right people and vibe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Set of drawers next to your bed for storage and doors to separate you from the rest of the apartment .............. luxury living indeed! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Funny places to rent? That's easy...

[looks up random ad on Daft]

You want HOW much for that?? ahahahaha!

Oh wait... you're serious?

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Funny places to rent? That's easy...

[looks up random ad on Daft]

You want HOW much for that?? ahahahaha!

Oh wait... you're serious?

:(

Looking for someone to share with? http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1411151

• Advertisement

www.daft.ie/21406835
    Jaysus, "Please note that this is a small unit". No sh!t.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement