Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen Extension Cost

Options
  • 05-02-2011 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭

What would be the approx cost for a 40 square metre extension?
    Nothing fancy, basically, knock down one wall and extend out, so 3 walls, a lot of glass and a support?

What sort of cost and would it be a good idea, to use an architect?

We are in Meath

And how would this compare with a conservatory or other cheaper type of room?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 tonyforan

well it would work out cheaper for you if you went with the self build mode find the trades men and maybe get a project manager i can give you a good quote for a fitted kitchen / doors / floors when you have it done lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

What would be the approx cost for a 40 square metre extension?
    Nothing fancy, basically, knock down one wall and extend out, so 3 walls, a lot of glass and a support?

What sort of cost and would it be a good idea, to use an architect?

We are in Meath

And how would this compare with a conservatory or other cheaper type of room?

thanks

You wouldnt need an architect for this really,unless you actually want an architect on board with you.

Any propper and competant builder who has good track record and customer feedback can do this quite easily for you.

I had a large kitchen extension done recently (old kitchen extension was completely demolished),the trick is when using alot of glass is to tripple glaze and use lots of insulation aswell.

You get light but you also keep the heat in too.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,508 ✭✭✭✭ted1

you'll get a good response from onlinetradesmen.ie

ted1 wrote: »
    you'll get a good response from onlinetradesmen.ie

You wil also get alot of cowboys too,you NEED to vette your tradesman out 1st and see his previous work,and references 1st before you get him or her to do anything.

Also make sure hes fully legit and fully covered/insured too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

paddy147 wrote: »
    You wouldnt need an architect for this really,unless you actually want an architect on board with you.

Any propper and competant builder who has good track record and customer feedback can do this quite easily for you.

I had a large kitchen extension done recently (old kitchen extension was completely demolished),the trick is when using alot of glass is to tripple glaze and use lots of insulation aswell.

You get light but you also keep the heat in too.;)

I think it might be worth using an architect as after talking to different builders, they just seem to go for the easiest option, whereas an architect might have different ideas to use the space.
    How do you go about getting a bill of quantitys? Is that something an architect will do? We want to get quotes from at least 3 different builders

Has anyone got any idea of the going rate for a square metre?

• Advertisement

I think it might be worth using an architect as after talking to different builders, they just seem to go for the easiest option, whereas an architect might have different ideas to use the space.
    How do you go about getting a bill of quantitys? Is that something an architect will do? We want to get quotes from at least 3 different builders

Has anyone got any idea of the going rate for a square metre?

I used an architect/structural engineer for my work (house renovation and extension) and the project was put out to tender.

The architect will give you what you want design wize,or else/he or she can come up with a design that suits the area of land/garden that you have to work with.

I know a few people and some mates of mine,who had their builders come up with some nice designs and kitchen extension layouts and it all worked out well,in the end,without the need for an architect.

Its down to your budget aswell and what you want to do with it.

Everyone is different.;)

Heres a pic of what happened when a JCB and bobcat entered my garden and had some fun.:D

My girlfriend got a bit of a shock when she came home from work that day and went to open that white door and go into the kitchen.:eek:

Can you spot whats missing love??:pac::pac:

P.S-Get full written and detailed quotes from at least 5 different builders.

I had 15 different builders quotes,and I then interviewed the builders,and went to meet their previous clients and also saw ongoing building work and completed work,before I picked out my builder for my project.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Thanks for that, budget is about 40k to include an ikea kitchen

Is that feasible?

Can anyone recommend an architect or a builder?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭wobbie10

In the same position myself regarding build of exten. I too was considering going down the route of getting builder in directly due to no planning need etc.
    However a few issues have arisen with this option and i am now thinking of architect route
    1. Your build still needs a cert. to show it meets all building regs. Most builders don't issue these and an engineer/ architect is needed.
    2. peace of mind regarding design and someone to follow builders work
    3. An architect might cost as little as €2,000 and should in fact pay for himself with a bit of luck.
    4. he will know decent builders and should be able to provide a keener quote from someone.

I too live in meath and am currently looking around for suitable architect for small project such as this. I will let you know how i get on.
    Pleas elet me know if you find someone before i do.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Unwilling

Thanks for that, budget is about 40k to include an ikea kitchen

Is that feasible?

Can anyone recommend an architect or a builder?

thanks

Hey Sgt Pepper - just doing my own research - wondering how you got on? How near or far from your 40k budget did you come? Would be grateful for your input.
    Also, did you get a builders finish or a turnkey?

Thanks

Advertisement