Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 credit cards with same bank

Options
  • 05-02-2011 10:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭

I've had a mastercard with BOI for the past 11 years and I would like to know if I could get a second one from them?

Basically, I intend on going travelling around the world and using online banking to transfer my money from current acc onto credit card and withdrawing(to limit transaction fees).

But if my credit card got stolen or lost...I'd have no replacement and therefore stuck with using lazer/atm card(with way higher fees).

So If i had a second credit card I could just fire ahead using same method as above.

Anyone know if BOI allow customers to have 2 credit cards?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭silentbutnice

Anyone have any info on this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Theoretically, it's possible. But will depend on a number of factors which we can't really predict for you.

Also, in the event of a lost/stolen card the bank can arrange for an emergency replacement pretty quickly, normally within 48 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

just get the bank to add someone as a named to your credit card :)

The card number remains the same for an additional cardholder. Blocking one card in the event of it being lost or stolen means both cards cease to function.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    The card number remains the same for an additional cardholder. Blocking one card in the event of it being lost or stolen means both cards cease to function.

No this is not the case. I was told that the second card would have a different number BUT will have the same pin code. So that if I had to close down one card then the other would still function 100%

• Advertisement

Trust me, they have the same number :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

No this is not the case. I was told that the second card would have a different number BUT will have the same pin code. So that if I had to close down one card then the other would still function 100%
    i spoke to mbna and aib about this. they both advised me that the number would be the same and the only difference is the name on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Pablo1802

for visa cards (mbna,aib,tesco)you might get additional card (within the same account) with the same number only but for mastercards it may be different number on additonal card

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Runner_11

you can get a second card ring BOI credit cards explain what you want it for, your limit will be split over 2 cards and you will pay GSD on both cards because it will be two different accounts.

Runner_11 wrote: »
    you can get a second card ring BOI credit cards explain what you want it for, your limit will be split over 2 cards and you will pay GSD on both cards because it will be two different accounts.

Yes the card I'm getting will split the credit limit between the two cards, but she said the number would be different on the second one, but the pin would be the same. The name would also be different obv.

Whats GSD?

• Advertisement

kind unbeliveable to split cc account and to split limit to get 2 diff cards

Pablo1802 wrote: »
    kind unbeliveable to split cc account and to split limit to get 2 diff cards

??

how could be possible to do it?
    never heard about this...

Yes the card I'm getting will split the credit limit between the two cards

how could be possible to do it?
    never heard about this...

lets say for the limit 3000,you would get 2 cards 1500 each???
    thats interesting

lets say for the limit 3000,you would get 2 cards 1500 each???
    thats interesting

Yes, thats what will happen. It means that the bank will not have to give you any credit increase - they just split your current credit limit over the two cards like you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Runner_11

what four of a kind has done is add an additional person onto his credit card account, The limt will still get split but he will only pay GSD once as you dont pay for the additional.

The other option he had if he wanted to get two cards with his name on both of them was to just split the limit and apply for a second card. That way he would have two cards and pay GSD twice. Which you pay in April evey year.

Runner_11 wrote: »
    what four of a kind has done is add an additional person onto his credit card account, The limt will still get split but he will only pay GSD once as you dont pay for the additional.

The other option he had if he wanted to get two cards with his name on both of them was to just split the limit and apply for a second card. That way he would have two cards and pay GSD twice. Which you pay in April evey year.

Exactly.

I presume I'll be able to set the second card(in other persons name) up for online banking as well? So that if my card ever got lost/stolen while travelling, I'd be able to cancel it, and then use the second card?

Confirmed information from BOI cc dept, only you can do is to get additional card holder on your acc, must be different name on it!
    Otherwise you have to apply for a brand new card/new account and your name on that card would be the same, as on a first account

Advertisement