Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ocassion annoying sound from a Mediondesktop

• 05-02-2011 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

I have a Medion desktop PC MD 8341. When i boot there is a sort of high pitched sound for a short time of, I think the hard drive spinning. Then it stops and there are little sound when the disk is used

But sometimes this sound will not stop. I thought before it may be fan and maybe it is. does the fan come on for a short while when booting or returning from hibernate. It only happens rarely but is annoying

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

A fan wouldn't sound high pitched, more of a "whoosh" sound.
    Hard drives aren't particularity loud when they spin up.
    Can you open the case and try to locate the source of the sound?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭MinnyMinor

5uspect wrote: »
    A fan wouldn't sound high pitched, more of a "whoosh" sound.
    Hard drives aren't particularity loud when they spin up.
    Can you open the case and try to locate the source of the sound?
    thanks is it just the sound of booting then? why does it sometimes continue.

It depends on the model but many motherboards have warning beeps that are designed to tell you something is wrong. Usually there are a series of long beeps or a continuous beep. This could mean anything so you should look up the beep warnings for your particular PC.

It depends on the model but many motherboards have warning beeps that are designed to tell you something is wrong. Usually there are a series of long beeps or a continuous beep. This could mean anything so you should look up the beep warnings for your particular PC.
    thanks it is not a beep but a continuous sound.it is just the sound of starting but sometimes it does not stop

Have you pin pointed where abouts it is coming from?

• Advertisement

Have you pin pointed where abouts it is coming from?
    no only the case, will have to
    open and see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

MinnyMinor wrote: »
    thanks it is not a beep but a continuous sound.it is just the sound of starting but sometimes it does not stop

Might be a temperature warning alarm. Try seeing if there is an alarm enabled in the BIOS. If so disable it and try booting again to see if sound stops. If this proves to be the case, then I would recommend turing the alarm back on to prevent your CPU frying :D

mordeith wrote: »
    Might be a temperature warning alarm. Try seeing if there is an alarm enabled in the BIOS. If so disable it and try booting again to see if sound stops. If this proves to be the case, then I would recommend turing the alarm back on:D to prevent your CPU frying
    thanks but there would not be temp issue at boot up would there? can i upload that sound here. it is only a couple seconds at boot but sometimes it stays on
    turing the alarm back on:D to prevent your CPU frying
    :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

MinnyMinor wrote: »
    thanks but there would not be temp issue at boot up would there? can i upload that sound here. it is only a couple seconds at boot but sometimes it stays on
    :D:D

You would think that alright but my PC started doing just that. Immediately on startup the alarm would sound and could go on for a couple of minutes. Usually it would stop when Windows had fully loaded.

You could always upload the sound to google docs and share the link (not sure if you can upload directly to boards.ie)

Advertisement