Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from rugby forum

• 05-02-2011 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

I have been banned for 7 days from the rugby forum for the following post:

"You are obviously clueless."

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056166266&page=39

I have PM'd the moderator in question as I feel the ban is absolutely ridiculous and serves no purpose, the ban has been upheld. In the PM I also asked for clarification on the rules of the board. I highlighted a post in which an actual personal comment (I would contend that telling somone they are clueless with regards to the performances of Gordon D'Arcy over the last 2 years is not a personal comment) was made against a poster against which no action was taken. I was not given an answer on why some personal comments are allowed yet my post warrants a week long ban.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'm trying hard to figure out why you think the ban is ridiculous. You very clearly attacked the poster (in an insulting way to be fair) and not the post. The mods discussed this with you in your PM exchange (the one where you compared them to Nazis). Not abusing other posters is covered in the newbies guide to posting which says:
    Personal Abuse will not be tolerated – Attack the post and not the poster.

As for the use of the term muppet, it is somewhat colloquial to boards.ie, but it is covered in the FAQ with a link to this thread.

While I can see how you might think there's a double standard in play, a moderator may call muppetry when she or he sees it. It's not an insult as such, more a description of what they have seen (e.g. banning someone for trolling is merely a statement of what the problem was, while the troll may not like it, the moderator is allowed to call it. The same applies to muppetry.).

My own belief is that a very short ban like the one you got seems reasonable enough. If you're confused about what's acceptable, it's probably worth reading the newbies and FAQ forum here. It's a very useful set of guidelines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Khannie wrote: »

While I can see how you might think there's a double standard in play,

Indeed.

But fair enough anyway, ban stands, won't argue anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Ban upheld by Cmod with user agreement, closing as resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement