Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Refereeing In The Premier League

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

That_Guy wrote: »
    *awaits Paully's rant about the Sunderland equaliser being offside*

;)

Nobody cares about this one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

;)

It was a winner not an equaliser:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

;)

Yeah the one that made it 0-0, the winner looked offside too - so they were very lucky :P

The Ref himself gave them a raw deal at times during the match, a couple of obvious fouls he let go.

as they always say, it evens itself out*

* I don't know if that is true, but I don't really care :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

While I do tow the 'Refs do a difficult job and mistakes are bound to happen' line, Vrmaelen being booked against QPR for a foul committed by Koscielny was one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen. I know there is a good reason for players not being able to appeal yellow cards, but if there was ever a stonewall case for getting one overturned this was it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Noo

Galvasean wrote: »
    While I do tow the 'Refs do a difficult job and mistakes are bound to happen' line, Vrmaelen being booked against QPR for a foul committed by Koscielny was one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen. I know there is a good reason for players not being able to appeal yellow cards, but if there was ever a stonewall case for getting one overturned this was it.

Especially if he picks up enough yellows for a suspension and is forced to miss an important game, there'll be uproar!

Edit: i just read an article where a hartlepool player had this happen to him this season and he got his suspension overturned by the fa so hopefully they'll be consistent with this case too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

If you think PL refs are bad, go to a game in the Championship, or one of the lower leagues... or ask a fan of one of those clubs what they think. They'll laugh at us complaining about the PL refs.

Just because we're seeing more reports of bad refereeing these days, that doesn't mean it's any worse than before. The media have just decided it's important now.

I would say the quality of refereeing is no better or worse than 20 years ago when I first started watching football. It's just that now we all seem to want advances in what a human being can do (ie, goal line technology, cameras to catch offsides, etc).

What you people want is super-human. You've put yourselves in a situation where you will never be happy with what refs do. And that unhappiness and desire to complain is exactly what the media have spotted, and now exploit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Exactly...

Should have seen our match against 'Boro. Ref sent off 2 from us and 1 from 'Boro, none of whom should have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

It was a winner not an equaliser:o

Damn my lack of brain power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Paully D wrote: »
    More shocking decisions today. In all honesty this could have been bumped every week of the season so far. Awful stuff.

Maybe if Phil Dowd wasn't the size of a small island he'd have been able to keep up with play and could have made the right decision in the Manchester United V Wigan game. How the fuck does he pass a fitness test?

Phil Dowd fails a fitness test for next season:

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/05/23/3121720/referee-phil-dowd-fails-fitness-test-for-next-season-report

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Be interesting to know what the fitness test consists of before I judge him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Can hardly be that taxing if he ever passed one in fairness.

Dowd always carried a bit of weight I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Dowd always carried a bit of weight I thought.

Thought? :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Paully D wrote: »

I said it in a couple of games I watched him referee this season , really seems to have piled on the pounds ,

Which in his line business is not on , needs to be a peek level to keep up with play and not miss incidents .

Seen him a few times and he looked absolutely wrecked but in fairness to the guy his was still putting in a good shift but I do really feel its inevitable that he will miss something big when catching his breath or up with play , and he will get slaughtered because he has failed his fitness test .

Also think this should not of been put out in the public domain , its really giving fans ammo against the man and surely he is entitled to some level of privacy.

Advertisement