Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gate automation- which system/ manufacturer?

Options
  • 05-02-2011 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi there,
    I'm new to this, so please bear with me. I have just purchased a pair of heavy cast iron gates and I am looking for help and advice in choosing an automation system. I want to go underground for certain, but I can't decide to go with a hydraulic or electromechanical set up. Cost is a big factor but it might be better to go with the best system possible now as I don't want headaches a few years down the line.
    Also, does anyone got good or bad experience with brands like FAAC, GIBIDI, LIFTMASTER etc.
    Any help will be very welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Hi there,
    I'm new to this, so please bear with me. I have just purchased a pair of heavy cast iron gates and I am looking for help and advice in choosing an automation system. I want to go underground for certain, but I can't decide to go with a hydraulic or electromechanical set up. Cost is a big factor but it might be better to go with the best system possible now as I don't want headaches a few years down the line.
    Also, does anyone got good or bad experience with brands like FAAC, GIBIDI, LIFTMASTER etc.
    Any help will be very welcome.

Hello.
    We have a home and garden section:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=875
    There are a number of places to choose from...
    Perhaps DIY might be of use?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=116

• Registered Users Posts: 7 micktheshovel

Hi there,
    Thanks for the reply. As I stated in first message I am new to this, and I didn't realize that I had put the post under the wrong heading/ section. Now I don't know what's best to do, try to move it, or delete the original and repost. Any help welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

I am thinking of getting the same system installed, I will be keeping an eye on this thread for info. ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Hi there,
    Thanks for the reply. As I stated in first message I am new to this, and I didn't realize that I had put the post under the wrong heading/ section. Now I don't know what's best to do, try to move it, or delete the original and repost. Any help welcome.

I know. If I could I'd move this over to the right section but alls I can do is point you towards some people who might know the answer I'm afraid. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 micktheshovel

Any help is more than welcome.
    So far as the automation systems go I have a few concerns about how easy it is to override the systems. Firstly if there is a keypad, depending on how it is wired, somebody could simply pull the cover of the keypad and cross two wires and the gates open.
    Secondly the key that is supplied to manually override the system, should there be a fault,is often the same key that fits all similar systems from the manufacturer, i.e they are all keyed alike.
    Thirdly if enough force is applied to the gates they will open, so I am told, so it recommended to me to put an extra electronic lock/bolt into the ground where the gates meet in the centre.

• Advertisement
Advertisement