Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phone Voices

• 05-02-2011 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭

A friend of mine, when he talks to his girlfriend on the phone, puts on the most flamboyantly gay voice I have heard. Every single time. I sincerely mean no offense to anyone who is gay and/or flamboyant. He doesn't even realise he's doing it. If it was someone else he'd be the first one to rip the piss out of them which is why it's so shocking.

Anyone else have any other phone voice stories?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Stories? No.

But all moms have a posh phone voice. That's a fact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

My Pal can't help affecting a Dub accent when conversing with Taximen on his way home to Glenageary.

When I say my pal, I am of course referring to me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm told I iz posher on the phone. True story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

When I ask for directions I always put on this weird little girl lost voice,

'Um,sorry,can you tell me wheres the ___ please?' *puppy eyes*

It's the most annoying thing in the world! And I can't stop it...
    But it seems to work, so what the hell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Apparently me and my Sister sound exactly the same on the phone, even though we sound nothing alike IRL.

I've had some pretty fun conversations with her boyfriends...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

that's a lot of phone penis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

that's a lot of phone penis

Phone penis? No wonder your voice changes when you're on one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

My sister regularly babysits for a Chinese family and anytime the child's mother calls my sister starts putting on a sort of Chinese slang accent :D She doesn't realize she's doing it but it's soo funny :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    My sister regularly babysits for a Chinese family and anytime the child's mother calls my sister starts putting on a sort of Chinese slang accent :D She doesn't realize she's doing it but it's soo funny :D

I'm vely solly but that's just wong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

My sister gets this posh D4 accent from somewhere whenever she's on the phone. My other sisters are always teasing her about it.

Growing up outnumbered by sisters means I myself never dare tease any of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

When I ask for directions I always put on this weird little girl lost voice,

'Um,sorry,can you tell me wheres the ___ please?' *puppy eyes*

It's the most annoying thing in the world! And I can't stop it...
    But it seems to work, so what the hell!

It's funny ... I do that too ... and I'm a bloke.

Normally around the Furry Glenn*

*may not be actually true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

brummytom wrote: »
    Stories? No.

But all women have a posh phone voice. That's a fact

FYP there! Women in general (and some men, in fairness) put on a voice completely different to their regular tone/pitch/accent while speaking on the phone.

If ya don't believe me ring a woman's phone and let it go to voicemail for the greeting. 80% will sound like they have their nose stuck in the ceiling while recording!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

For some reason when on the phone with a business or something (formal call) the accent i use for when speaking spanish comes out. I tend to do it when drunk as well i've been told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

My dad puts on his Mayo accent when he talks to his other Mayo friends on the phone. I think a lot of people who move to the east get back their "whesht" accent when they talk to others from the same place. It's quite funny to watch :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

everyone has a phone voice, If you are on the phone to people all day you have to sound happy and cheerful. I don't think anyone likes the sound of their own voice when heard back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I sound somewhat more wistful on the phone. One person said that my phone voice provokes the somewhat hazy image of a man trudging across lonely, misty hills - his thoughts focused not only on the family he left behind, but also the man he must kill.

So I've been told.

It doesn't come across in texting, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

People tell me that my voice changes depending on who I talk to....

If my mum or dad call I'm like "well" and start nattering away.

If one of my college friends calls "Whats the story" blah blah blah

If one of my best girly friends calls "HIIIII OMG this that and the other happens"

I'm always asked after finishing a call...WTF was that?!

Advertisement