Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Gear

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Love that shot Rachel

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Oh I would definitely suggest it but would use it for rainy weddings, when whether is bad I tend to go to the bedroom for couple shots, with good weather I go for more outdoors shots.

I meet wth my clients before agreeing a booking and I seem to attract like minded people, I promote myself as really loving weddings and wanting my clients to enjoy themselves and generally I get the kind of people I get along with and enjoy working with. A cousin of mine told me once that my website was too personal, that I would turn clients away, I said no, my website is just right because I get the kind of clients I want.

It definitely helps when you get to work with couples who are on the same wavelength as you. The way to attract these people seems to be to tailor your galleries to the kind of shots that represent what you do most (and what you want to do). That's why I don't have the shots I posted here on my website, they don't represent the reportage-ish kind of wedding coverage we try to provide.

On occasion, couples have booked us that are looking for a more posed, traditional approach, and then are confused when that's not what they get. Hopefully, the message is getting through to people that there are different styles out there to suit different tastes, and the internet has helped that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Keep them coming, I am stealing all of your ideas! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

daycent wrote: »
    On occasion, couples have booked us that are looking for a more posed, traditional approach, and then are confused when that's not what they get. Hopefully, the message is getting through to people that there are different styles out there to suit different tastes, and the internet has helped that.

Very true, and I always explain to people I am not a reportage photographer, I give a mixture of candid, formal and fun. It is unfortunate that some people have expectations and dont put those expectations to the photographer until after the wedding.

I had one lady visit me about getting a new wedding album done, discussing trash the dress too. She complained non stop about her terrible useless photographer so I asked to see the pictures, this woman had been bad mouthing this guy to anyone who would listen. His shots were stunning, gorgeous shots but reportage and she like my style, in the end I just couldnt get through to her that there was no issue with the photographs just the fact that herself and this photographer were not a good match and it was such a disappointment to the photographer because his shots were great. I dont think she took well to me standing up for him so she didnt come back to me but honestly I was glad I could say to her as a photographer that this guys work was top notch.

That is a major concern, if they say to you 'shoot as you see fit' - and you do a good job, but they decide afterward that your style is not what they had in mind ... you're the one who will suffer. Word of mouth is very strong in wedding circles I'd say. that's very unfair if they were rubbishing the guy and the shots were actually decent.

• Advertisement

Very true, and I always explain to people I am not a reportage photographer, I give a mixture of candid, formal and fun. It is unfortunate that some people have expectations and dont put those expectations to the photographer until after the wedding.

I had one lady visit me about getting a new wedding album done, discussing trash the dress too. She complained non stop about her terrible useless photographer so I asked to see the pictures, this woman had been bad mouthing this guy to anyone who would listen. His shots were stunning, gorgeous shots but reportage and she like my style, in the end I just couldnt get through to her that there was no issue with the photographs just the fact that herself and this photographer were not a good match and it was such a disappointment to the photographer because his shots were great. I dont think she took well to me standing up for him so she didnt come back to me but honestly I was glad I could say to her as a photographer that this guys work was top notch.

Nightmare!! When we meet people, we emphasise as much as humanly possible that we have a certain style, and other photographers have a different style. In fairness, the majority of people understand this, but it still amazes me the lack of thought that can be sometimes put into booking a photographer (and spending a 4 figure sum).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭showit

post #60

Borderfox - Love Image two & three, great stuff -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Borderfox wrote: »
    First dance now so just finished

You're the exception there. Any wedding I've been at, the photographer usually wraps up, pre reception, with a quick formal cutting of the cake shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Freddie59 wrote: »
    You're the exception there. Any wedding I've been at, the photographer usually wraps up, pre reception, with a quick formal cutting of the cake shot.

You've said that before alright, but I'd consider it to be the opposite. The photographer usually stays on until the first dance, if not much later.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Fajitas! wrote: »
    You've said that before alright, but I'd consider it to be the opposite. The photographer usually stays on until the first dance, if not much later.

I was at 5 weddings as a guest last year and not one wedding did the photographer stay for the 1st dance.

If I was ever getting married, I would certainly be asking for first dance. After that, a copy of guests images sorts out the rest of the reception (or a disposable on each table).

• Advertisement

I've never seen it happen :confused:

As soon as I got into Cabra Castle they tried to get me to cut the cake (thought I was there only till cutting of cake)

Fajitas! wrote: »

Not the ones I've been at Al, but I take it you do?

Yeah, definitely - I think I'd be pretty disappointed to hire a photographer for my wedding and not have the whole day covered. I mean (especially with wedding traditions in Ireland) the rest of the day is quite routine, the afters is where the fun happens. It's where you'll get great photos of what's happening.

The last few weddings I attended socially, the photographers stayed on until at least midnight.

Last wedding I was at the photographer stayed in the hotel, inc in his payment, and he was on free booze. he was still going around taking candids at 4am in the residents bar :D That's my kind of job!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Rachael or Keith (or anyone else), can you offer any advice on lighting the ceremony and the exchange of rings? Is a lightstand with small softbox off limits generally or is it on-cam flash with diffuser or high ISO?

They will answer better, but as a general rule, priests don't like flash usage around the alter. Or was the case 3 years ago. At our little one's christening he announced before the mass that no flash was to be used in the church until after the ceremony.

kelly1 wrote: »
    Rachael or Keith (or anyone else), can you offer any advice on lighting the ceremony and the exchange of rings? Is a lightstand with small softbox off limits generally or is it on-cam flash with diffuser or high ISO?

I would suggest on camera flash with diffuser, but only if absolutely necessary. If possible just shoot with your widest aperture and high ISO. Flash is very distracting at the best of times, and especially for the vows. And it's a good idea to time your shots for when the priest is talking or there is other noise. The camera shutter can sound surprisingly noisy in a church!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭VisionaryP

There's no need whatsoever for a lightstand, it would be incredibly disruptive. Most churches are designed for the altar to be the brightest part, so high ISO all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Thanks all.

• Advertisement

Word for word as to what daycent said Kelly, if it is really dark I will use flash for key moments but the noise of the shutter in a quiet echoy church is distracting enough without having to worry about flash too.

I have seen guys walk around the church flashing away and being obtrusive in the past and I really want to avoid this myself!

Word for word as to what daycent said Kelly, if it is really dark I will use flash for key moments but the noise of the shutter in a quiet echoy church is distracting enough without having to worry about flash too.

I have seen guys walk around the church flashing away and being obtrusive in the past and I really want to avoid this myself!

To be honest, I'd say couples prioritise unobtrusiveness over photo quality every time. People don't care what you need to do to get your photos, they just want it done, and with the minimum of fuss! (while still getting amazing results of course...:rolleyes::D)

Spent a few hours here this morning http://www.moyvalley.com/balyna-house/ looks really nice and had a good chat with the Bride to be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

Last wedding I was at the photographer stayed in the hotel, inc in his payment, and he was on free booze. he was still going around taking candids at 4am in the residents bar :D That's my kind of job!

yeah got one of those about two years ago - woke up with a start trying to think where i'd stowed the gear!! probably not a very good idea tho!

as far as i'm aware most deals are until the first dance unless requested earlier or later.

I think most photographers will make themselves known to the priest and suss out any boundaries or concerns that the priest may have. I did one where it was a civil ceremony and the registrar requested that i do not photograph the actual signing part but gave the go ahead later to do a set up of it with her and the couple - civil ceremonies have some strange rules!

Although i once covered a Hindu wedding where their Holy Book is held in such high regard that your not supposed to turn your back on it and all that - still they allowed me to include it with the happy couple :) thats the only time i ever wore a turbin honest!

daycent wrote: »
    I would suggest on camera flash with diffuser, but only if absolutely necessary. If possible just shoot with your widest aperture and high ISO. Flash is very distracting at the best of times, and especially for the vows. And it's a good idea to time your shots for when the priest is talking or there is other noise. The camera shutter can sound surprisingly noisy in a church!

Only word of caution I would offer is to check the Church lighting in advance. A small minority use those streetlamp-type orange lights. I know of one instant where the photographer had to hand over all the church shots in B&W because he couldn't eliminate the orange tint afterwards (he didn't use a flash).

I only use flash for the rings and thats only two or three shots and the signing of the register (technically the ceremony is over) The rest of the ceremony is shot with high iso

Fionn wrote: »
    I did one where it was a civil ceremony and the registrar requested that i do not photograph the actual signing part but gave the go ahead later to do a set up of it with her and the couple - civil ceremonies have some strange rules!

I have heard of this, something to do with an official document and not recording the actual signing.

Borderfox wrote: »
    I have heard of this, something to do with an official document and not recording the actual signing.

I had one priest tell me that you arent allowed photograph the actual document, he was a strange one though. Every wedding I always photograph the actual signing as I really despise the posed lets pretend Im signing shot. Never had a registrar declare any issue with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭32finn

I had one priest tell me that you arent allowed photograph the actual document, he was a strange one though. Every wedding I always photograph the actual signing as I really despise the posed lets pretend Im signing shot. Never had a registrar declare any issue with it though.

Yea i also dislike the posed signing shots, much prefer the real thing.

I would always introduce myself to the priest and so far so good thank god.

Some really nice shots there guys and gals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭VisionaryP

You're not allowed to photograph the church register (ie the big book) as that contains the information of other couples on the same page, but there's no issue photographing the sheets.

Advertisement