Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Railway bridge crash

Options
  • 06-02-2011 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

just wondering if anyone saw this. the lough atalia road was closed for most of today and will be for most of tomorrow to assess structural damage. curious as to how bad the crash was. no one was badly injured thankfully.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blinking_Badger

yep, traffic was a nightmare through town this afternoon due to the road being closed.....glad no one was hurt though

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aha, that why I was redirected when driving there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,157 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Any pictures anywhere online?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Feckin' truck hit it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Did something collide with the bridge or was it caused by the storm or structural failure?

Edit: - Just saw JC's post

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    Any pictures anywhere online?

For your rubbernecking pleasure, I imagine it was something like this:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Is the Line still open to pedestrians? Just have no idea of the extent of the damage to the bridge, if any.

Thanks for the thanks boardies! ;)

BB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just on Galway Bay FM now the earliest the bridge will open will be next Friday. How can anyone hit a well marked bridge, surley the driver could have stopped, got out and looked to see if the truck would fit under it if he was unsure of his truck height, traffic in the town today is chaotic.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Garda, looking at truck stuck under bridge, "Did ya get stuck?"

Driver, "Nah, I was delivering this bridge when my lorry broke down!!!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Fey! wrote: »
    Garda, looking at truck stuck under bridge, "Did ya get stuck?"

Driver, "Nah, I was delivering this bridge when my lorry broke down!!!"

"Get Your Coat"

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

I passed under the bridge at about 10 Sat morning, just before the road was closed.

Whoever hit it gave it a good smack - a 2 or 3 foot section of one of the arches was on the ground on the town side.

You'd wonder about the structural integrity of a iron bridge that old, when a chunk that big can be knocked out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Just on Galway Bay FM now the earliest the bridge will open will be next Friday. How can anyone hit a well marked bridge, surley the driver could have stopped, got out and looked to see if the truck would fit under it if he was unsure of his truck height, traffic in the town today is chaotic.:mad:

Maybe traffic lights were turning red so the truck decided to gun it and sure it will be grand. :pac:
    I reckon Irish Rail will be issuing a few more press releases calling into question the intelligence of Irish truck drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Was the driver a local or from out of town as it's hard to believe he hit that with such speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

it was a truck carrying a container that struck it.

All the local trucks slow right down and enter the bridge in the middle of the road to avoid hitting it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

This is gonna cause traffic havoc in Galway until it's re-opened

I'd hate to have to deliver to the docks area using the truck; the only access is now via Victoria Place, which I'd imagine would be very tight in a big truck in traffic.

Maybe the Harbour Board/Corpo could but up one of those steel bars near the traffic lights and near the petrol station which go across the road at the maximum height that the bridge can take; if they hit the bar, they're too big.

Cheaper than repairing the bridge again, and less chaos!

The might also change the lane markings showing trucks the centre line for the bridge, and put up big signs telling traffic to give way to the trucks, which may speed up traffic flow in the long run (although most road users there do tend to give way and be polite).

146944.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Just on Galway Bay FM now the earliest the bridge will open will be next Friday.
    Great, the traffic around the city should be a lot of fun for the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

Argh - this is going to be a serious pain in the gooter.

Presumably the train service is totally unaffected?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Fey! wrote: »
    The might also change the lane markings showing trucks the centre line for the bridge, and put up big signs telling traffic to give way to the trucks, which may speed up traffic flow in the long run (although most road users there do tend to give way and be polite).

146944.jpg

+1000

I work a lot in the UK and the few times I've seen similar bridges, they mark the road clearly, to indicate to traffic that large trucks need to stick to the middle.

A few that I've spotted also have approach markings similar to those at a width restriction - to indicate to cars that trucks which have commenced their crossing under the bridge have 'Right of Way'. With the lights so close though, if they were to adapt this, they would probably have to give right of way to trucks coming from the direction of the Raddisson junction. Other wise traffic could build up on that side of the bridge onto the lights while waiting for trucks coming from the docks to cross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Came across this on Irishrail.ie.
    http://www.irishrail.ie/bridgeheights/pdf/Galway%20Bridge%20Heights.pdf

Come in handy for lorry drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Aerohead wrote: »
    "Get Your Coat"
    Nah, I thought it was far better than the majority of smart comments on boards... :D

[Including my own]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Mr Man wrote: »

Presumably the train service is totally unaffected?
    Trains are grand though why its considered safe to drive a great lump of a train over the bridge but you cant go under it is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ZRelation

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Trains are grand though why its considered safe to drive a great lump of a train over the bridge but you cant go under it is beyond me.

Imagine its because its been found structurally sound but falling debris is still a risk for the cars underneath

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

In other countries they have a lightweight hanging sign over the road a good bit in front of the bridge that is the same height so that when trucks that are too tall are headed for the bridge they hit that instead without doing any damage besides scaring the **** out of the driver and making them brake before they wedge themselves under the bridge. thinking like that is too far outside the box for this country though, there are bridges in Dublin that get struck once a month, even the Port Tunnel had all its lights pulled off the roof not so long ago.

Aerohead wrote: »
    "Get Your Coat"

YAY; I've finally pulled!!! :D

or is it :eek:???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Apparently opening at 6AM tomorrow morning now.

Advertisement