Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers Vs Celtic Scottish Cup 5th Round 12:15 Sunday

• 06-02-2011 12:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭

The third (of a possible 7) tie between the two Glasgow clubs tomorrow offers them some time out from the drudgery of league football.

Neither club will want to see this go to a replay given the various stresses and strains that a big derby game brings about, not to mention the fixture pile ups caused b the horrid scottish winter.

It's not going to be a match for the football purists, it never is.

But it is going to be passionate, noisy, hotly contested and aggresive.

May the best team (in blue) win! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Actually think it will be a decent game because it is the cup. Predict 2-1 win for either team but can't decide. Hope Celtic will sneak it but I think Rangers might want it more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Actually forgot this match was on! All the goals today - and Pool V Chavski tomorrow!
    I expect a fiesty enough game, the odd red card and a 2-1 victory for Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

DH2K9 wrote: »
    Actually think it will be a decent game because it is the cup. Predict 2-1 win for either team but can't decide. Hope Celtic will sneak it but I think Rangers might want it more.

I think the fact that neither side will want to go to a replay adds a touch of spice to it.
    Normally with the league games you get the feeling that one side will be satisfied with the draw as it keeps them in pole position.

Its gonna be interesting i reckon.

Rumours abound that neither jellyfish or Lafferty are going to be fit for tomorrow, so who knows what kind of team walter will put out!

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

Forster

Wilson Rogne(If fit) Majstorovic(if fit) Izaguirre

Brown Kayal Ledley Commons.

Hooper Stokes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I have my day planned out

09:50 - 10:00 Travel to mass
    10:00 - 10:50 Mass (youngest making his communion in May)
    10:50 - 11:00 Travel home
    11:00 - 11:45 Egg, sausage, rashers & potato scone all in 2 rolls with a cup of tea
    11:45 - 12:00 Drop wife and youngest son off to Blantyre Gym
    12:00 - 12:15 Travel home
    12:15 - 14:05 Watch the mighty Celts whip TFOD in glourious HD and 5.1 surround sound
    14:05 - 14:20 Pick up wife and son
    14:20 - 16:00 Watch replays of Celtics fine win, browse internet
    16:00 - 17:50 Watch Chelsea v Liverpool in HD

My wife says I am a sad git for the above!!

Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Eirebear wrote: »
    I think the fact that neither side will want to go to a replay adds a touch of spice to it.
    Normally with the league games you get the feeling that one side will be satisfied with the draw as it keeps them in pole position.

Its gonna be interesting i reckon.

Rumours abound that neither jellyfish or Lafferty are going to be fit for tomorrow, so who knows what kind of team walter will put out!
    Elbows Mculloch also out...:D

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    Elbows Mculloch also out...:D

Aye, but Ankle Breaker Stokes is still playing! ;)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfdf6n_stokes-v-papac_sport

Ian Black would have been proud of that.

Gonna watch this.

Will Diouf start? He's 14/1 for first goal

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Gonna watch this.

Will Diouf start? He's 14/1 for first goal

Really not sure tbh - depends on how Walter decides to set his stall out today.

Rangers team:

RANGERS: McGregor; Whittaker, Bougherra, Weir, Papac; Davis, Edu, Ness, Naismith; Diouf, Jelavic.

SUBS: Alexander, Lafferty, Healy, Weiss, Bartley.

I assume we'll go 4-5-1 with Edu Ness and Davis in the middle and jelavic up top alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Tough game to call as usual, Rangers will need a massive improvement from the last Old Firm game if they are to get something today, I don't think they can play as badly as they did last time though.

My guess: 1-1.

Celtic side - (I'm told)

Celtic team apparently: Forster; Wilson, Majsto, Mulgrew, Izaguerre; Brown, Commons, Kayal,Ledley, Ki; Hooper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

nice copy and paste job there EB;)

Des wrote: »
    nice copy and paste job there EB;)

Oops! :D

Glad you noticed that before anyone else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Ah tis alright, I reported it before I posted :p

Thank christ i dont have Sky, Neil Lennon in 3D? Urgh!

See y'all at half time!

M'on The 'Gers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,397 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Ohhhhhhhhhh!

What a goal

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Great strike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

WOW....yesterdays goalfest continues.....holy **** crossbar!

Should be 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

How ironic that the player wearing the roller skates diving all over the place is the first to make a nasty tackle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

What a goal by Ness.

Why wasn't Naismith booked for diving???

He then gets booked straight afterwards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

any links

YYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lenny's celebration was great!!!

o.O we have a game.

Link for killme

Unreal play from Kayal there, half cahnce for Hooper.

Celtic on top.

EDIT - First half possession 67% Celtic - 33% Rangers according to Sky Sports.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Great play by Kayal alright. Love how he gets his body between the opposition and the ball.

Long diagonal ball from Rangers between Izzy and Mulgrew causing up problems.

EDIT - same just said by Sky commentators.

Just noticed how deep Rangers have dropped when defending... must be really looking to catch us on the break though they're coming more into the game now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Cracking game this.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

holy fook.... it seemed like about 10 mins watching that ball roll towards the goal before Forster got back. :eek:

Naismith VERY lucky not to get a third yellow there.

Wow. Penalty for Rangers and the Celtic keeper is off.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Hard luck Forster. :(

Balix, Commons sacrificed.

No way that should be red. It should be obvious even to a ref that Forster didn't want to tackle him with his face.

Peno yes, red no.

• Advertisement

No complaint about the penalty or the sending off as such...

However, Naismith should not have been on the pitch after 3 bookable fouls.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    No way that should be red. It should be obvious even to a ref that Forster didn't want to tackle him with his face.

Peno yes, red no.

C'mon now. If that was McGregor, I'd be calling for him to be off. Goal scoring opportunity, didn't get any ball and took player, it's a peno and a red.

Kayal's face says it all lol :D... can see him thinking "you f**kin c**t".

Now, lets see how many 2nd yellows Bougherra doesn't get in the 2nd half. ;)

Bougherra lucky enough there. Poor challenge

• Advertisement

Bougherra lucky enough there. Poor challenge

Bougherra does that every single game I've seen him play in and gets away with it.

What a response from Celtic to going a goal down and down to ten men away from home, we STILL look like the better team.

Our passing, movement, workrate etc... is absolute top notch, we are playing very well and are very unlucky to be losing - superb stuff away from home from Celtic.

This could be a great second half...

You always know it's going to plan when the Celtic fans are on Refwatch! ;)

Cracking game so far, with both sides offering a lot to the game. If it wasnt an Old Firm game i'd feel a little sorry for Forster, but the rules is the rules.

Naismith has been a bit slow in the tackle and needs to watch himself, but that diagonal run is causing issues for Celtic so its a big decision for Walter as wether to keep him on or not.

Commons looked great, i'm surprised Lennon sacrificed him rather than Hooper TBH.

It also seems that the referee isnt going to stand for despicable behaviour from Diouf, i mean imagine having the brass-neck to stand on the pitch? Shocking.
    Luckily he's showing some tidy feet, as Kayal's booking is testament too.

Lots more to come from this, could still go either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Not really a fan of Scottish football but the fire in these Old Firm games is amazing.
    Plenty hard and fair tackles with a few dodgy ones too.
    Thought the keeper was a little unlucky to be sent off,only contact was the trailing leg.

PauloMN wrote: »
    C'mon now. If that was McGregor, I'd be calling for him to be off. Goal scoring opportunity, didn't get any ball and took player, it's a peno and a red.

He went out to get the ball, missed it when ball is kicked away from him and the goal, concedes a penalty. Yellow card more than enough punishment.

If he went in to take out the player fair enough, he just mistimed his challenge, it was careless, not deserving of a red.

I would say the same if it was McGregor as I don't support Rangers or Celtic.

Another twist or two in this game yet. Such a shame Commons had to be subbed, cracking wee player.

Hopefully they'll have someone off to even things up.

BTW, at 38 quid a ticket, how the **** do Celtic fans afford to be throwing coins at Diouf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Very short sighted by Lennon to take off Commons. He's the exact type of player you want when chasing a game. Can create stuff outta nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Enjoyed the 1st half, Celtic dominating. Thought the sending off was harsh as Naismith had put the ball very far ahead of him. Disappointed Commons came off.

Anyhow, Bougherra still on the pitch.... somehow.

Yellow or red?

img00168201102061308.jpg

img00169201102061309.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Think I'd go with Sammy in for Hooper 2nd half, keep midfield tight and have Sammy hold the ball up when he gets it. It's a long shot, but it worked before.

• Advertisement
Advertisement