Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things that scarred you as a kid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

nisior wrote: »
    Does anyone remember that film about 'cat-humans', they were people who had the soul of a cat or something? I think they were killing people in this villiage. It used to scare the poop outta me just thinking about it. I only saw it once on Network 2 (as it was called) and it was the first night I ever stayed up past 12 and I regretted it ever since. No idea what the film was called and never saw it again.
    actually you've trigger a memory of a terrifying film of a leopard man and now another of a gorrilla that was trained to kill people. fcuk ye. havent had nightmare since childhood, now that's gonna fcking change...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Another one from me. (Although I'm not surprised, I still can't watch horror films.)

About twenty years ago there was a fire alarm ad that used play from about 4am until about 6am, over and over on a loop. It had the smoke snake around the house and a creepy voiceover. Terrified me.

I don't know a lot of 4 year olds who are homophobic tbh.
    he were jokin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

I don't know a lot of 4 year olds who are homophobic tbh.

You know lots of four year olds? .... hmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

ArtSmart wrote: »
    he were jokin

Obviously the sarcasm in post didn't come across as clearly as intended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Does anyone remember that film about 'cat-humans', they were people who had the soul of a cat or something? I think they were killing people in this villiage. It used to scare the poop outta me just thinking about it. I only saw it once on Network 2 (as it was called) and it was the first night I ever stayed up past 12 and I regretted it ever since. No idea what the film was called and never saw it again.

Wasn't this episode (Survival) of Dr.Who was it?? Scared the bejaysis outta me!

Obviously the sarcasm in post didn't come across as clearly as intended.
    Obviously.

:D

Feeona wrote: »
    You know lots of four year olds? .... hmmmmm

Ya. I've a load of them emplyed in the sweat shop in my basement. There small size lets me fit more of them down more of them down there so i can have increased production of the shoddy runners i sell.

Ya. I've a load of them emplyed in the sweat shop in my basement. There small size lets me fit more of them down more of them down there so i can have increased production of the shoddy runners i sell.
    em, are you being sarcastic?

he he he.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Debthree

Buceph wrote: »
    About twenty years ago there was a fire alarm ad that used play from about 4am until about 6am, over and over on a loop. It had the smoke snake around the house and a creepy voiceover. Terrified me.

You wouldn't have considered changing the channel at some point between 4 and 6am no?? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Get them to do small repetitive tasks passing the next stage onto the next child, rather then getting them each to do an entire shoe in one go.

Also, giving one of them the power to whip the others to work harder could boost moral. Rotate the whipper as he tires out.

Debthree wrote: »
    You wouldn't have considered changing the channel at some point between 4 and 6am no?? ;)

It was the only channel playing anything, the other channel had just static.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

worzel gummidge used to scare the crap outta me and the kidnapper from chitty chitty bang bang

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nisior

Larianne wrote: »
    Wasn't this episode (Survival) of Dr.Who was it?? Scared the bejaysis outta me!

No it was definitely a film. It was based in the States. I wish I remembered more about it and I tried to find it online so I could tell people about it but no luck. I remember for some reason certain humans couldn't see them like I remember a cop going up to a car and one of them was sitting in the passenger seat and he couldn't see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Debthree

steve_ wrote: »
    worzel gummidge used to scare the crap outta me

OMG I hated Worzel Gummidge so much - he was a disgusting freak.

ArtSmart wrote: »
    em, are you being sarcastic?

Nope that one was serious.

Want to buy some runners? There only €20.

• Advertisement

Buceph wrote: »
    Get them to do small repetitive tasks passing the next stage onto the next child, rather then getting them each to do an entire shoe in one go.

Also, giving one of them the power to whip the others to work harder could boost moral. Rotate the whipper as he tires out.

Will do.

I also like to tell them that one of them is a snitch and will tell me when the others aren't working. Makes them reall paranoid which is fun to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A_Border_Bandit

Ah jeeze, myself and my 30 year old brother are still terrified of the Banshee out of Darby O'Gill. Scary stuff.
    And I used to share a room with himself, he was a fan of the Prodigy so I remember being unable to sleep at night because he had a huge poster of this beside my bed and Mam made him take it down. I was only 8 at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

When I was 7 my friend's father made us watch 4 dogs tear a pig that had just died to pieces. We just stood there completely horrified not knowing what to do.

Actually, now that I think of it, that was probably a big influence on me turning vegetarian the next year :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

No it was definitely a film. It was based in the States. I wish I remembered more about it and I tried to find it online so I could tell people about it but no luck. I remember for some reason certain humans couldn't see them like I remember a cop going up to a car and one of them was sitting in the passenger seat and he couldn't see him.

sounds like stephen kings sleepwalkers??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKXEYybYgZE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

The "alien" films... traumatized.

My brother jumping out of the dark screaming in a Alien Hiss voice/Sound...

He also made a fake alien claw arm so real looking! and hid under my bed and waited for me to go to bed to sleep, then make the hiss sound and slowly moved the arm up from under my bed... Screamed like a 3 year old girl....

Nightmares...

****ing horrible :D

I'm gonna dig him next time I see him, what a dick lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭bobsoice23

Priests...woops read it as scared...so me saying priests could be construed as alot more serious than i meant...anyway my Dad going through a mid life crisis or pysczo phase decided to catch a bird and hang it outside the house as we arrived home from school.. needless to say I don't talk to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

skeletons used to freak me out as a lil kid dont know why though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Arachnophobia....that movie still has me scared ****less of little tiny spiders. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

This fuppin' book cover ruined my life

http://www.abduct.com/books/_bookpix/b03.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

A broken cola bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

A bit in the X-Files where they showed an alien at the bottom of a girls bed peeping out, dont know but it scared me off watching it for a long time.

The zombie in Hocus Pocus.

Jack skellington - dont know why tbh, and oogie boogie from the same movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭evillive

the child catcher in chitty chitty bang bang - still a sick f**king character

http://www.fixcas.com/art/Helpmann.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

This green faced witch:eek: Scared the crap outta me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭uncle ernie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

I was 4 at the time. I took everything as absolute fact, It did happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

Had the same nightmare as a kid for years, just to do with scary movies I would watch and Brian Cowen for some reason :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 jeep

This http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=747SKishQPg scared the livin daylights out of me....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

'The Blob'. The old one. I remember the blob being red.
    Was convinced for about a year after seeing it that the blob would appear from under my bed and devour me.

Just realising... The Blob - a gooey red horrifying liquid.... Lol :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Some grim stuff.

- The sound of the pigs being cut up in the abattoir, it was right beside the train station in Galway, sometimes you'd see the poor ****ers merrily running up the grate into the building. You could hear squeals and the circular saw. Ugh. Nothing says welcome to Galway like...

- My pet bird flying directly into the fire and burning up as I watched him struggle and my Mam trying to get him out and then not trying. Was in bits after that. Then my dad telling me that he did it because he hated having me as an owner. :(

- A dog getting his head knocked off by a lorry and it rolling along the road in front of me it's eyes still blinking and its mouth kinda chatting.

- Seeing a drowned dog with its legs tied to a stone in the canal.

- Seeing a swelled up dead body in the Corrib.

Told ya it was grim :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

+1. That scared the **** out of me as a kid.

Worzel Gummidge was sinister to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

My mam's hoover (for me it was a child eating machine), the bin truck (see hoover) and a 150cm toy giraffe belonging to my older cousin :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Aoifey! wrote: »
    When I was 7 my friend's father made us watch 4 dogs tear a pig that had just died to pieces. We just stood there completely horrified not knowing what to do.

Actually, now that I think of it, that was probably a big influence on me turning vegetarian the next year :rolleyes:
    Why did he make yous watch that. Thats really ****ed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Electricity pylons :eek:. I never realised fear of pylons was so common. I blame those safety ads from years ago.
    The first Halloween film scared me quite badly.
    The one that really got to me however was a really creepy old black and white film called the Nanny. I saw it when I was 8-9 and had nightmares for ages afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/movie-daleks-1l.jpg

Darleks

What if there was no steps. You would be fecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

The Blair Witch project. Around the time of release, mam let me watch it with her. Upon finishing I was so scared to sleep in my room, that I couldn't wait to get back to get boarding school because I so was convinced the Blair witch was real and it was in the field behind my house. To tgis day I shiver looking at the cover of the dvd box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Not a story of mine, but in Russell Brand's autobiography he tells a story of a friend of his who had an air vent in his bedroom wall, and one day a crow got trapped in there. The boy was only eight at the time, told his parents there was a monster in his wall, they didn't believe him of course, and he had to listen to the crow dying in there. Send shivers down my spine thinking of it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Chucky from the Childs Play movies. I still get uncomfortable if I see a picture of him or the dvd covers.

Also, a dentist was really mean to me as a child, so I refused to go to any dentist for about 10 years :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I believe this was a kids movie. :confused: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nisior

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    A bit in the X-Files where they showed an alien at the bottom of a girls bed peeping out, dont know but it scared me off watching it for a long time.
    I remember that, that was really f'd up. My brothers loved The X Files and we only had the one tv at the time so had to watch it and it used to give me nightmares all the time.
    sounds like stephen kings sleepwalkers??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKXEYybYgZE

That might be it, I'm not sure...I might have to try and look at a few more clips :( but it seems like the same idea as the thing I saw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

ET is not a cuddly friend.

He is a freaky little extraterrestial fiend. And particularly scary when he gets agitated and starts extending his neck and screaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I was always freaked when I heard about guerilla warfare on the news. I imagined gorillas with guns and always tried to spot them :rolleyes:

Also, there was a tv show called Great Mysteries of the World (was american I think) and it scared the life out of me - the ghost stories in particular. I would force myself to watch it even though I'd be shaking with fear... always gave me nightmares as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

bonerm wrote: »
    I believe this was a kids movie. :confused: :eek:

I remember seeing that when I was a kid and being freaked out when the head was thrown in the fire :eek: I dont think I slept for days after seeing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

The part in the first Jaws movie where they go explore an underwater wreckage and some dudes severed head just appears out of nowhere with no eyes etc.

Never forget how terrified I was. I'd still cringe at the thought of even having to looka t it and haven't seen it since.

I'd say I was about 8 if even.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Pedophiles gotta be your biggest worry as a kid.

Jaysus different times, when i was a kid my biggest worry was that the local shop wouldnt have a pounds worth of penny sweets (they always did though, they knew their customers).

Although there is this:

There was also an episode of quantum leap with a mummy which scared the ****e out of me so much that ive wanted to be an archaeologist ever since :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement