Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things that scarred you as a kid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

My dad let me watch dawn of the dead when i was 10, really messed me up! couldnt sleep in my own bed for 2 weeks:o then there was that Alf thing.... freaked the hell out of me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Sempai

Herbie...a car with a mind of its own...scary stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Pittybitty

Michael Jackson in Thriller - I used to think he was under my bed and would come out at night and get me! I needn't have worried though... I'm a girl :p

The banshee in Darby O'Gill - still creeps me out to this day!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭macroboy

Yeah the hammer house horrors..

They were scary!

I remember one where the pipes burst in the house and what came out?

BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!

everywhere for ages..

I didnt sleep for a few nights after that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

The clown from IT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

The guy that Chunk befriended in the Goonies... the one that was tied up in the basement or whatever. Terrified of him as a kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Dick Burns

The guy that Chunk befriended in the Goonies... the one that was tied up in the basement or whatever. Terrified of him as a kid.

hahaha sloth?HHEEEYY YOUUUU GUYSSSSSSSS

surprised no one has mentioned my ultimate fear as a child

edward scissorhands F**k me he was so scary!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Damn this stupid embedding crap...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkB5-BHxKZI&NR=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I nearly forgot, Terrahawks, that Gerry Anderson Thunderbirds type thing, the main villain was fcuking terrifying to a kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Dick Burns wrote: »
    hahaha sloth?HHEEEYY YOUUUU GUYSSSSSSSS

surprised no one has mentioned my ultimate fear as a child

edward scissorhands F**k me he was so scary!!!

That was his name, Sloth... Roooooccccckyyyy Rooooaaadddd. :D

Man, that dude was scary.

• Advertisement

hahahaha
    Roooooccccckyyyy Rooooaaadddd.
    i am doing some serious LOLing right now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Any programme about aliens would terrify the life out of me, especially if they showed a picture of a "gray".

You have to say beetlejuice was a great film! I remember we would say beetlejuice twice, and then sit in tense excitement to see if anyone would dare say it the third time :D ,innocent days.

Oh does anyone remember the show that used to be on the Den: are you afraid of the dark?

And one of the best children's shows of all time: eerie indiana? That was a freaky show but brilliant!

Oh does anyone remember the show that used to be on the Den: are you afraid of the dark?

And one of the best children's shows of all time: eerie indiana? That was a freaky show but brilliant!

YES!!!i loved this show and they then wud put the fire out at the end i used to watch it in the dark as a gossin!great show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Scared of a nuclear holocaust and Aids.

Sempai wrote: »
    Herbie...a car with a mind of its own...scary stuff

C'mon Ted, a volkswagon with a mind of it's own, if that isn't scary I don't know what is. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

I saw Poltergeist when I was 5. Terrified the fck out of me.... the nightmares were horrendous. Wouldn't sleep in a room on my own for quite a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

krudler wrote: »
    I nearly forgot, Terrahawks, that Gerry Anderson Thunderbirds type thing, the main villain was fcuking terrifying to a kid.
    Zelda. You wouldn't want to meet her on a dark night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

I used to watch MacGyver and there was this one episode, where a lady in it caught some virus which made her age really fast. She went from being young to really old, with long grey hair, in a matter of seconds. It scared the f**k out of me, and I stopped watching MacGyver then... until one day, maybe 3 years later, I was brave enough to watch it again. It was on TV, so I put it on, and it was the very same episode, and the very same scene. :(

Just googled it there - the episode was called KillZone. Can't link to youtube in work but saw the thumbnail and it still looks so scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

SoulTrader wrote: »

Just googled it there - the episode was called KillZone. Can't link to youtube in work but saw the thumbnail and it still looks so scary.

You're right there, Ted!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

Doctor Snuggles Cartoon and the computer voice of the spaceship in Ulysses Cartoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

I have some strange ones

cd-cover.jpg

Grace Jones scares the **** outta me

b747.jpg

this is a werid one i had a fear of planes with black noses I think it makes the plane more likely to crash

falling off my bike left me with some scars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

stoneill wrote: »
    Electricity pylons - scared the hell out of me!

Slurry pits as well. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

When I'd be cycling under lamposts at night I'd cycle in the middle
    of the road really fast for fear of them falling on me and crushing me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

ICE HOUSE wrote: »
    Doctor Snuggles Cartoon

For all the "Bosco presenters on cocaine" stories, the Doctor Snuggles fellas had to have been ate-ing down some seriously magical mushrooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Pennywise the clown from Stephen King's IT still gives me chills...
    http://www.best-horror-movies.com/images/it-pennywise-howling.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

The child snatcher from chitty chitty bang bang scared the ****1 outta me as a child

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

Vigo. The oil painting from Ghostbusters II.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭Hooked

The face melting at end of raiders of the lost ark. I was about 3 and it frightened the bejaysus out of me. Just watched it agin on YouTube there and I'm shaking like a sh1tting dog all over again! Shudder!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

the boodie man :o

and aeroplanes for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

karlog wrote: »
    I don't think anything can compare to walking in on your parents having sex. Looking back on it now i think why the f*ck didn't they just lock the door and save me from years of trauma.

Giggidy

This.
    With that creepy tune and a 'c' that looks like an 'e'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Karsini wrote: »
    This.
    With that creepy tune and a 'c' that looks like an 'e'

Not really great options either way is it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

This scarred me

John Carpenters The Fog is genuinely one of the scariest movies I ever seen

I used to convince myself there was fog outside or in the hall :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Some grim stuff.

- The sound of the pigs being cut up in the abattoir, it was right beside the train station in Galway, sometimes you'd see the poor ****ers merrily running up the grate into the building. You could hear squeals and the circular saw. Ugh. Nothing says welcome to Galway like...

- My pet bird flying directly into the fire and burning up as I watched him struggle and my Mam trying to get him out and then not trying. Was in bits after that. Then my dad telling me that he did it because he hated having me as an owner. :(

- A dog getting his head knocked off by a lorry and it rolling along the road in front of me it's eyes still blinking and its mouth kinda chatting.

- Seeing a drowned dog with its legs tied to a stone in the canal.

- Seeing a swelled up dead body in the Corrib.

Told ya it was grim :(

All of a sudden my creepy wooden milk bloke doesn't seem like such a big deal now! :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

The tv show unsolved mysteries :( and some books about aliens/ghosts i got from the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

The only episode of the X-files that ever freaked me out.

One word: Cockroaches.

Also, this lad:

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nisior

Aoifey! wrote: »
    Oh, and Podge and Rodge a Scare Before Bedtime. I watched that with my big brother every night and had the worst nightmares. But I kept watching it cause it made me feel cool :cool:

Same exact situation for me...brothers watched it and I would to try and be 'equal' with them. Never could sleep. Was always tired Tuesdays at school (I think the show was on Mondays, after 'Comedy Night' (Father Ted/Friends...))

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

Red Riding Hood from Cannon Tales. Had it on VHS. Special FX look dated now but in the day this was freaky stuff. Looking back now has some great music though, 80's synths and stuff. A couple of people I say it to remember the song "You should never talk to strangers."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDOaMU34bGg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

http://www.scene-stealers.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/the-shining-tub.jpg

That scene from The Shining. Didn't sleep for a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

When my dad used to take the car to the carwash, I used to curl up in a little ball and start crying on the floor of the car terrified. Them huge roller brushes ramming against the window terrified me.

Another thing that scared the hell out of me was when my dad used to drive down the local port (bellview) he used to get out and go talk to a business associate or friend etc and leave me on my own, I was absolutely terrified of those big huge cranes that used to move around lifting containers off ships, I know they werent close but I was certain that they were gonna come along pick up the car with me in it and crush me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

IT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

:eek:

WINNER!!

My god, what was he thinking? No-one needs to see that, especially a 7yr old child.........
    He wasn't really the nicest man, and my parents were shocked when I told em! But he was my father's cousin or something along those lines so it was just left at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ColumnLunch

Not sure if it has been posted already but the film Phantasm 2 freaked the hell out of me. I was only 6/7 at the time and it was second video we ever rented on our new video player. The first being Rambo 3.

http://monstergirl.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/phantasm-1.jpg

Not long after that my dad rented Robocop. The scene where the bad guy gets covered in acid and robocop drives over him scared the crap out of me.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_oLvQRg7Qc1s/TG6YAV9u_cI/AAAAAAAABOc/4ikbxCMLp44/s400/Robocop_l.jpg

My dad rented loads of horrors etc for me and my older brothers to watch even though he didn't know what kind of films they were but hey, I turned out normal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

I remember watching this at school when I was 5 or 6, teacher brought it in on tape on one of those doss days before the summer holidays. The entire class had collective nightmares for weeks and this scene still makes me uneasy!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Brandog

I'm sure i'm not alone on this but i reckon the overinfluence of the vatican scarred the ****e out of me in more ways that are yet to present themselves as i progress this mortal coil.Bold boy.Your penis makes you a bad bunny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

A nail in a piece of wood that I fell on went through me cheek and stuck in my gum. Scarred for life, I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

Rolling Pin attached to the arm of an angry country woman

I got a scar over my eyebrow from walking into a gate when I was a kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Resident Evil 2

... 22 tomorrow and it still freaks me the fk out :(
    Can't even play Dead Space or something like it anymore!

:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement