Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I don't understand.

• 06-02-2011 2:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭

So, if I've failed one module with an E grade and passed the rest of them well to i have to pay the 230 quid to repeat regardless? How does the compensation system work exactly? Can't find it in that pdf, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

A compensated grade gets you the 5 credits, you don't have to repeat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

You don't have to repeat it, if you choose to it will cost 230€. If you don't repeat it you can automatically compensate it, if you pass 75% of your other exams it will automatically become a pass for free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

What PDF are you looking at? It should be pretty easy to find in any I have linked (Do a search by pressing control+F and typing in compensation. Bish bash bosh you found it!)

Anyway, this is compensation explained in the modular grades PDF.
    P(C) grades (pass with compensation) are awarded where E grades have been compensated. E grades are then converted to P(C) grades and carry the same grade point value of 1.6.
    For compensation, a student must:
    Have completed and obtained passing grades in modules accounting for 75% or more of the total credit required to successfully complete the stage (usually 45 credits or 9 modules).
    Have a Compensation GPA for the attempt at the stage that is 2.00 or
    greater.

But you should note that:
    Some modules are designated as ‘not passable by compensation’, such as, for example, foundation modules that are pre-requisites for further study in some languages. Where this is the case, the E grades remain and still retain the value of 1.6.

There is a far longer explanation of compensation in the academic regulations. It is on page 23, section 5.7-5.75 so you should find that! Or do the lazy mans approach and control+F and search.
    http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/academic_regs.pdf

Edit: Just to correct the above posts, you will not automatically get a compensated grade. You will get it at the end of a stage, which will be the end of 1st year. You only pay if you repeat the module, so if you do get compensation in the summer, you will not pay anything. But you have to check that the module can be compensated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Just to add to the above, you will be automatically set to resit the exams so you need to manually drop it on SIS if you're hoping to compensate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I will thank everyone who posts on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

:cool:

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Just to add to the above, you will be automatically set to resit the exams so you need to manually drop it on SIS if you're hoping to compensate.

Just wondering, does this only apply for an E or does it apply for an F too? I could have sworn it did yet can't see it on my SIS.

On another note, anyone know where I can find info online on dropping a subject and taking another next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I also have a question, I failed two modules this semester, an E in one and an F in the other, I want to compensate the E, but do I have to repeat the F? Im in Stage 2 and its a core module, i got 20 credits for Semester 1, and if I pass all my modules this semester ill have 50 credits, halfway through stage 2, so do I have to repeat the F?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

This

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I also have a question, I failed two modules this semester, an E in one and an F in the other, I want to compensate the E, but do I have to repeat the F? Im in Stage 2 and its a core module, i got 20 credits for Semester 1, and if I pass all my modules this semester ill have 50 credits, halfway through stage 2, so do I have to repeat the F?

Yep, afraid so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

When do these normally appear on SIS? I'm afraid of not dropping them in time :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

misslt wrote: »
    When do these normally appear on SIS? I'm afraid of not dropping them in time :/
    Tomorrow according to the link posted above, and you have until 5pm on Friday to drop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

People, there is a FAQ on resits that has been linked many times here (including this thread!). It exists for a reason!

http://www.ucd.ie/students/resits_repeats/

Advertisement