Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New version of Angry Birds wants to read and send SMS

• 06-02-2011 2:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

THe new version of angry birds want permssions to read your SMS message, send SMS message and see phone details !. Think it's better to hold off installing until they explain what the deal is.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

THe new version of angry birds want permssions to read your SMS message, send SMS message and see phone details !. Think it's better to hold off installing until they explain what the deal is.

why? do you think that this previously upstanding company is going to all of a sudden try and scam you out of your pennies and destroy their reputation and all future income in the process?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

I saw that as well when it looked to update, I did not like the idea of giving the permissions to a app that I could see no need for it to have. after a bit of a search it seems it was a mistake on there part and will be fixed on Monday.
    I do think it's unlikely that it was meant with bad intentions, but it's better for companys to be asked why than just give away to many rights without thinking about it.
    http://www.androidcentral.com/angry-birds-update-brings-30-new-levels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

The adverts are enough to piss me off, why isn't there a paid version without them? Not surprised there was a hacked version.

I don't mind developers wanting to monetise their apps but it is important to not take the mick with ads. In Angry birds the ads come up during gameplay and cover a bit of the screen at the top that you need to see to play the game well. They could do something like show the ads but then hide them when the birds are actually flying.

I can speak from experience that sometimes you just forget what permissions are in your app when you're just trying to get it ready for release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭cgordonfreeman

baz8080 wrote: »
    I don't mind developers wanting to monetise their apps but it is important to not take the mick with ads. In Angry birds the ads come up during gameplay and cover a bit of the screen at the top that you need to see to play the game well. They could do something like show the ads but then hide them when the birds are actually flying.

I can speak from experience that sometimes you just forget what permissions are in your app when you're just trying to get it ready for release.

One way to get around this annoyance is install a firewall (I use droidwall) and deny angry birds an internet connection. No internet connection, no ads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Only time I've ever seen ads in angry birds was in a recent update , were if you fail a few times you get a little bing icon to search for a solution , maybe I don;t get the ads as it came preinstalled :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

Use ad blocker if rooted to stop ads showing or turn off internet if not rooted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Android uses a request permissions structure for developers, when you see the permissions before you download an app they are taken off what the developer has requested for their app, this means the developer may ask for a permission for something but never actually use that permission.

Meaning I can ask for READ/SEND SMS permission using one line of code but never actually do anything with SMS, if I forget to take this line out or request the permission by mistake it will come up when someone tries to download my app.

So from a well known developer with no history of anything malicious I think panicking over it is a bit paranoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭HeavyRunner

draffodx wrote: »
    Android uses a request permissions structure for developers, when you see the permissions before you download an app they are taken off what the developer has requested for their app, this means the developer may ask for a permission for something but never actually use that permission.

Meaning I can ask for READ/SEND SMS permission using one line of code but never actually do anything with SMS, if I forget to take this line out or request the permission by mistake it will come up when someone tries to download my app.

So from a well known developer with no history of anything malicious I think panicking over it is a bit paranoid.

But they are going to use it to allow people to pay for "Bad Piggy Bank payments". I think is a bad idea to allow a company to read my SMS messages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Just downloaded now the app is only asking for full internet access

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

But they are going to use it to allow people to pay for "Bad Piggy Bank payments". I think is a bad idea to allow a company to read my SMS messages.

You must have something to hide :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭HeavyRunner

draffodx wrote: »
    You must have something to hide :D:p

OK, i'm a Leeds United Fan. There's nothing else.

Advertisement