Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price on label says €0.00

Options
  • 06-02-2011 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

I was in a shop recently and noticed the price on the label for a product was €0.00. This item would normally be priced at about €200. I just put it down and left it, but have been thinking lately, that I am entitled to get something at the advertised price?

What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Nah... Its obviously a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

you seem confident it was a mistake and in all fairness, it clearly is a mistake.

legally speaking, a price sticker is an "invitation to treat" and not an advertisement (if they had a big poster in the window with that €0.00 price it would be a different story). so no, no potential customer is entitled to anything here; had the shop seen the error i'm sure they would, and should, rectify it

as it's a clear mistake i reckon it would be a complete d!ck of a customer who would argue that they're "entitled" to something here

(that "entitled" is not aimed at you OP, i'm just sure some unaware people would potentially kick up a stink in such an instance)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

DConway wrote: »
    have been thinking lately, that I am entitled to get something at the advertised price?

You have no entitlement to something at an advertised price (if no contract exists). The price label is an "invitation to treat".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

theteal wrote: »

as it's a clear mistake i reckon it would be a complete d!ck of a customer who would argue that they're "entitled" to something here

I've had customers do this before. Yell and scream and bitch that its crap customer service all because of a price tag. :mad::eek:

But, others completely understand when you explain that its a mistake.

Don't underestimate the power of a customer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I've had customers kick up a stink that something should be free because there is NO price at all on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

dudara wrote: »
    You have no entitlement to something at an advertised price (if no contract exists). The price label is an "invitation to treat".

There is an important exception: when a price is described as an offer (typically, by signage or labelling using the expression "special offer") then tendering payment is deemed to be acceptance, and a contract exists.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

There is an important exception: when a price is described as an offer (typically, by signage or labelling using the expression "special offer") then tendering payment is deemed to be acceptance, and a contract exists.

I'm doubting this some how, care to back this up with something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Do you have a cite for that? I've never heard the words "Special Offer" having that particular legal meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

It's an invitation to treat. The offer and acceptance happens at the till when the sales assistant can refuse your offer to buy the object in question. Which they would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

DConway wrote: »
    I I am entitled to get something at the advertised price?
    No, people should just sit back and think about the questions asked in this forum, and what it would lead to, the answer often becomes obvious.

In this case it would lead to people walking into car dealers and putting a label saying €2 on a fancy BMW, then their mate comes in and buys it for that price. Its not going to work -and it doesn't matter if their fake sign says "special offer" on it either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement