Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blue screen of Death.....

• 06-02-2011 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

HI,

looks like my PC is in trouble... just wondering would anyone have any idea's what to do !!!

virus or hard drive issue...or would i be better off to just take it for repair ?

it's a Dell DImension 2400..about 8/9 years old

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Google throws up a whole load of results related to that error so I won't post just one.
    http://www.google.ie/#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=off&q=\SystemRoot\system32\config\sam&aq=f&aqi=g1g-m1g-o1&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fp=5bf14e9497a4e249

Most hard drives only have a life of about 5 years so it could be related to that. One option is to download a Linux Live CD like Knoppix and boot that. If you hard drive is still mountable you can use an external drive to back up all your documents and then do a fresh install of Windows. Maybe on a new hard drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

thanks...

also found this

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/stop-c000028-stop-message-t2651779.html

was thinking about replacing the hard drive alright..... will have a go first to see if i can get it up and running again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If there's a possibility that the hard disc is on the way out, its a really good idea to back up any documents you've created yourself and can't download from somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Sempai

I had a similar problem with an old laptop but it was the it was over heating that caused the blue screen of death. possibly a problem with the fan...but more than likely that the hard drive could be failing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Microsoft reckon it's a registry problem on an XP machine

http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=307545

would definitely back up the machine if you do have/get access to your files

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Before you do anything, have you tried hitting F8 and booting to the Windows Advanced Menu.. Then try Last Known Good Configuration and maybe Safe Mode? Windows should keep a copy of the backup SAM file in a folder on the C: drive...

Before you do anything, have you tried hitting F8 and booting to the Windows Advanced Menu.. Then try Last Known Good Configuration and maybe Safe Mode? Windows should keep a copy of the backup SAM file in a folder on the C: drive...

tried this, no good...death screen keeps appearing... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

8/9 year old pc?

time to buy a new one. or at least try a reinstall of windows.

yea.. few years old alright, only use is for internet, movies etc... did a re-install about 2 months ago, and was working grand until the other day. gonna try re-intall again and see what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Yeah I would suggest reinstall again.. this is usually not possible without doing a backup.. but if you can then certainly do this... Just make sure that you do a full clean install, instead of those "repair install" options that Windows offers (and NEVER EVER works)...

If you dont have to back up the drive, do a quick format and then reinstall the O/S.. If you find that you are still having issues, then the issue is either with the hard drive or some other part of the hardware... i.e. and you can rule out Windows itself as being the source of the problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement