Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Banned from driving for 5 years

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

john47832 wrote: »
    kbannon is not right - he just seen an opportunity to jump on moral high ground and up he went - along with "most people"

op was asking for advice on how to go about a legal procedure to which he is entitled

It is not a moral high ground issue when the OP is looking to get out of a 5 year ban in the way he has.
    He is entitled to the legal proceedings I assume but he does not deserve it given his introduction of the topic.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

john47832 wrote: »
    kbannon is not right - he just seen an opportunity to jump on moral high ground and up he went - along with "most people"

op was asking for advice on how to go about a legal procedure to which he is entitled
    I'm too old and too long here to care about gaining the moral high ground. However, if I wanted to ride in on a high horse, would I have given the advice? Furthermore, the fact that similar advice wasn't offered until post #11 potentially reinforces my view.

Secondly, IMO you are the one actually trying to claim the moral high ground here. Still, though I don't care.

However, find me a thread here where someone came on looking to "get back on as early as they can" where they received a majority or responses that were sympathetic and I will accept your view.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

You can make an application to get your licence restored early. However, you must serve 1/2 your ban before you can make this application. And you must also serve 2/3 of your ban, as you can only get up to 1/3 off the term. Therefore you will still need to serve 40 months (assuming it is a 5 year ban).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Hit & run? Should be 10 years in prison and never allowed behind the wheel again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,530 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Satanta wrote: »
    You can make an application to get your licence restored early. However, you must serve 1/2 your ban before you can make this application. And you must also serve 2/3 of your ban, as you can only get up to 1/3 off the term. Therefore you will still need to serve 40 months (assuming it is a 5 year ban).

If the OP is who I think it is then I would say it would be a total waste of time as I witnessed his Driving on more than one occasion and to say he was wild would be putting it mildly :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Luckily for you OP that you weren't like that big feckin eegit from Cork who had 5 previous convictions including leaving the scene of a hit and run and had been previously been banned twice already. (Bans were then lifted)

Just be grateful that you are not that sort of gobsh1te.

Man - you would want to be a complete arsehole to have that sort of driving record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Im all for slating drivers but IF this is the same case as below then about time. Gives (relatively) sensible males a bad name

JUDGE GETS TOUGH ON BAD DRIVING

North Cork is overrun with skid marks, circles and burned up tyres because of boyracers and it is scandalous, a judge said.

Judge Michael Patwell was speaking yesterday in Fermoy District Court after jailing Darren O'Brien, of 64, Beechfield, Fermoy for two months and disqualifying him from driving for 10 years.
    O´Brien was convicted of dangerous driving at Carrignagreoghera, Fermoy, on January 13 this year.

Inspector Senan Ryan told the court that O'Brien was driving a Honda Civic and being watched by a number of people as he performed a move known as "drifting"

Drifting is sliding a car sideways and it involves using the brakes to get effect.

The court heard that O'Brien had five previous convictions, including for dangerous driving and failing to remain at the scenme of a hit and run.
    He had already been banned from driving on two previous occusions but had the banns lifted in the Circuit Court of Appeals.

Judge Michael Patwell said the judges in the appeals court should not have lifted the driving bans.
    The judges were very mercifull he added.

O'Briens solicitor Matt Bermingham, said O'Brien did not appreciate the seriousness of the matter then but did now
    linky

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    Just because he got banned for 5 years doesn't mean it was his fault. I know someone involved in a crash that got a driving ban. Lately he got a letter saying the rear axle of the vehicle he was driving was at faulty. So you really should think before making statements like that.

The court backs up kbannon's statement, until there's any evidence to suggest the court is wrong what your saying is meaningless to be honest.

The OP receievd a ban, his options are wait or seek legal advice, until then his guilty unless proven otherwise by the courts.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    Just because he got banned for 5 years doesn't mean it was his fault. I know someone involved in a crash that got a driving ban. Lately he got a letter saying the rear axle of the vehicle he was driving was at faulty. So you really should think before making statements like that.
    Actually, could you please post a link to this article? I'm curious to read about someone getting a lengthy ban for a worn axle and what their brief said, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lol performing drifting with honda civic... That just sounds nice, but i love when media just sums all the tyre marks here... That fecker must be really bastord, but they will give all donut glory too.

Interesting, how many people died from donuts... I bet waaay more people died from sugar donuts thought...

As for op... Oh well, dont look for legal advoce here as all you will get here as an opportunity to keyboards warriors to show theyr skills. This forum needs less drama and more auto discutions...

Iny opinion you should do all 5 years... On the ather hand i cant judge you for what you did, specially when i dont even have a clue how did you got your ban

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Elite_Etnisa

the only way around is to go to a different country make a driving licence there ... Country such as im not sure , latvia , poland , scotland , holland somewhere that ireland wouldnt be as close to as england . When you get your licence there you can easily swap it for the eu one and drive away in ireland . I wouldnt advise it but i know that making a driving licence in other countries is very simple and short.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,530 ✭✭✭✭vectra

the only way around is to go to a different country make a driving licence there ... Country such as im not sure , latvia , poland , scotland , holland somewhere that ireland wouldnt be as close to as england . When you get your licence there you can easily swap it for eu one and drive away in ireland . I wouldnt advise it but i know that making a driving licence in other countries is very simple and short.

Thats all very fine. But what about when he drives around in the locallity and every member of the Gardai knows him and that he is off the road for a long long time.. (10 years if I am correct)

What about the person he hit and run..How would he/she react seeing him flying around again so soon??
    OP would get Another jail sentence only longer this time Iwould assume

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

the only way around is to go to a different country make a driving licence there ... Country such as im not sure , latvia , poland , scotland , holland somewhere that ireland would be as close to as england . When you get your licence there you can easily swap it for the eu one and drive away in ireland . I wouldn't advise it but i know that making a driving licence in other countries is very simple and short.

He would still be lying on his application forms for insurance & driving licence,which would then make his licence invalid,as i am sure you are asked have you any previous bans etc etc,I think scotland's driving licences are the same as england's as that is all uk,

Why cant op just do his time or punishment,if he was man enough to commit them he should be man enough to do his punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Isn't the Op just trolling..... He/she opens the thread to provoke a reaction, doesn't post again, and uses a "real" name that would obviously lead back to the linked story.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,265 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

realies wrote: »
    He would still be lying on his application forms for insurance & driving licence,which would then make his licence invalid,as i am sure you are asked have you any previous bans etc etc,I think scotland's driving licences are the same as england's as that is all uk,

Why cant op just do his time or punishment,if he was man enough to commit them he should be man enough to do his punishment.

He should scratch the relevant UK "countries" off this list unless he wants to be done for making a false declaration - it's not possible to sit a driving test unless you have been resident in the country for the previous 6 months. I believe the penalties are related to those for perjury. A similar rule applies in Ireland I believe.

Advertisement