Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Hodgson appointed by West Brom

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Utter lunacy but nothing surprises anymore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It's a funny old game.
    Wrong decision, not for the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Have to laugh as some peoples replies. Extremely naive most of them. Staying in the PL is huge, it's about £45m. The chairman doesn't care about the style of football, he wants PL survival and that's all that matters. Including cup games WBA have won 3 of their last 18 games. If this continued they are getting relegated and who's to say he'll suddenly turn it around? The chariman clearly with Di Matteo there were going down, and that's hard to argue with and if the Chairman feels that then it would be a crazy decision to keep Di Matteo on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Well, Real Madrid and Inter Milan aren't looking for a manager yet, so Sam Allardyce will probably get it. I really hope not though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

The LMA have issued statements speaking out against these recent sackings, does anyone envision action being taken?

Can anything really be done when the Club is privately owned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Have to laugh as some peoples replies. Extremely naive most of them. Staying in the PL is huge, it's about £45m. The chairman doesn't care about the style of football, he wants PL survival and that's all that matters. Including cup games WBA have won 3 of their last 18 games. If this continued they are getting relegated and who's to say he'll suddenly turn it around? The chariman clearly with Di Matteo there were going down, and that's hard to argue with and if the Chairman feels that then it would be a crazy decision to keep Di Matteo on.

You can't just say a team is going down because their on a bad run of form. Form is temporary, class is permanent and WBA were class at the start of the season. On big result for them and their back on track. Can't believe you would defend a disgraceful decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

bizarre decision that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

DH2K9 wrote: »
    You can't just say a team is going down because their on a bad run of form. Form is temporary, class is permanent and WBA were class at the start of the season. On big result for them and their back on track. Can't believe you would defend a disgraceful decision.

Perhaps the start of the season was the "form", and it's only now that the true level has been found? 3 wins from 18 cannot be put down to a blip in form.

Quality post. Form is temporary and class in permanent - so because their form at the start of the season was excellent means their current form doesn't count? A+.

• Advertisement

Quality post. Form is temporary and class in permanent - so because their form at the start of the season was excellent means their current form doesn't count? A+.

Their true class is probably somewhere in the middle so I don't see why you should sack him. Espeically before a big relegation battle against West Ham.

Their true class is probably somewhere in the middle so I don't see why you should sack him. Espeically before a big relegation battle against West Ham.

Best time to sack him, especially if, as rumoured, he has lost the dressing room. With no indication over previous games that the team's fortunes were changing, there's at least a chance that a new manager will come in and rally the troops for the upcoming series of delegation six pointers.

How long do you wait for them to hit their true class? Next season when they are in the Championship? I probably would have given him the West ham game and then sacked him if they didnt win but I can see why the decision was made now and it's a pretty sensible one.

Best time to sack him, especially if, as rumoured, he has lost the dressing room. With no indication over previous games that the team's fortunes were changing, there's at least a chance that a new manager will come in and rally the troops for the upcoming series of delegation six pointers.

They tried that at Hull, Newcastle, Portsmouth to name a few in recent seasons and it doesn't work. A new manager can't work miracles with 13 games left. WBA are more likely to get relegated now than they were on Saturday.

They tried that at Hull, Newcastle, Portsmouth to name a few in recent seasons and it doesn't work. A new manager can't work miracles with 13 games left. WBA are more likely to get relegated now than they were on Saturday.

WBA aren't in as precarious a position as other clubs you mentioned when they changed manager. No miracle is required. The team just needs to get firing again and get points on the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Bang on lads. Right to sack him IMO. Also, it's statistically true that a new manager should provide at least a short term improvement in form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Ush1 wrote: »
    Bang on lads. Right to sack him IMO. Also, it's statistically true that a new manager should provide at least a short term improvement in form.
    where are these statistics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

amiable wrote: »
    where are these statistics?

I'm trusting James Richardson from the Guardian podcast around the time Hughton was sacked. It was according to him, didn't actually see the stats.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I'm trusting James Richardson from the Guardian podcast around the time Hughton was sacked. It was according to him, didn't actually see the stats.:p
    Fair enough. Sorry if i came across harsh.
    I've heard arguments for both sides tbh.
    I'm not sure its definitely proven to work.
    IMO he's done a really good job on a small budget.
    I would have kept him

He just went said what everybody else thinks but it's not true. Just look at Sheffield United, Preston and Crystal Palace (OK they won at the weekend but that was the first in 5 games) etc.

Thats just recent cases and they probably even them out. It depends on the manager as well and how similar he is tot the former manager.

Bottom line is it's just a myth that results pick up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

should be no real shock about this move - part of the course now unfortunetly

part of what course?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

West Brom have lost 13 or their last 18 matches. That is relegation football. WBA are hovering very close to the relegation zone and its probably worth the risk for the chairman to sack him, bring someone in and hope to stay in the premier league.

I think some people are being swayed by the aesthetic nature of the football played under Di Matteo. It's great up to a point but if you're being raped on the counter attack every game, conceding goals left right and centre and losing nearly as many games as you play it ain't gonna count for much in the Championship.

I ask those against the decision, especially the likes of Slick, who was so vehemently against the sacking, would the same anger be to the fore were Gary Megson after getting sacked despite achieving the exact same results? I personally think not.

In saying that I like Di Matteo and what he done their and I hope he gets a chance at a decent club. But I can understand completely why the chairman did what he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Board and players seemed to lose faith in his ability, viewed as out of his depth and not having the right attitude to management.
    More detail in this article (http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/west-bromwich-albion-fc-news/2011/02/07/west-bromwich-albion-roberto-di-matteo-just-wasn-t-used-to-failure-97319-28126950/)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Kiwi_knock wrote: »

I'd be delighted for him if he got it. He has some good players at his disposal and can get the most out of players. I just hope he has enough time to keep them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Heard this earlier alright, I'm sad to see Di Matteo sacked but Hughton is a good replacement. As said hopefully he has enough time to keep them safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Roy Hodgson has been confirmed as manager of West Brom till summer 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ramires expression sums this up for many WBA fans I expect ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Newcastle got Kuqi, so I've no idea who is going to be his Zamora.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Is Konchesky still available ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

west brom haven't been in the relegation zone so far this year so replace the manager with a guy who already had liverpool in the relegation zone for weeks :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Talk about completely different sides of the coin in terms of footballing styles, i smell a disaster in the making here!

backspacer wrote: »
    Talk about completely different sides of the coin in terms of footballing styles, i smell a disaster in the making here!

Yes, could be Liverpool all over. Don't think the team are drilled in his straight-jacket tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Really good appointment. He should keep them up.

I think if Liverpool had kept him on, he would have kept us up as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Indeed. It sucks a bit for the fans, as they're going to go from trying to play nice football to regimented defensive play.

For the club though, it's not a bad move. Hodgson will do the same thing he's done for every other club he's at and will get the same win % he gets everywhere else. Its not a good enough % for some clubs (like liverpool), but wouldn't be bad for WBA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Has he found his level? I thought Houghton should have being given it.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

RasTa wrote: »
    Has he found his level? I thought Houghton should have being given it.

Nah, Ray Houghton isn't up to it. Chris Hughton on the other hand... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Oh well, goodbye West Brom from the Premier League then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

5starpool wrote: »
    Nah, Ray Houghton isn't up to it. Chris Hughton on the other hand... ;)

touche sir :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

west brom are a disgrace for sackin di matteo and worse for hiring a man who couldnt do well with a better squad :confused:

• Advertisement

I think he'll do well and keep them up. While WBA played nice football they've conceded the second highest amount of goals in the league. They would have been better off sorting out a replacement before sacking Di Matteo though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Whoopswrong forum

Will be interesting to see how he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

:(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im happy for him, couldnt help but feel sorry for him at Liverpool.
    He was out of his depth bigtime,was never the man for the job but this job will suit him imo.
    Hope it works out for him, a genuine nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

I read the first page of this thread, with the subject line of Roy Hodgson been appointed manager of WBA. First post is "madness". Ha ha thought that was a bit harsh. Took me a bit to realise that the Di Matteo thread had obviously been merged. The whole first page makes good reading now in a crazy kind of way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

BERBA wrote: »
    Woy for West Brom

Hate always being right!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

BERBA wrote: »
    Hate always being right!:p

Even when your wrong your right Berba! :p

Think Roy will do quite well at West Brom. IMO he'll keep them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I think he should've taken a bit of time away from the game after Liverpool. He looked really stressed out man at the end of his time there. Also his rigid tactics are the kind that take quite a while to get instilled into players, so it could be too late for WBA before the message hits fully home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I also thought Hodgson should have taken a bit of time away from the sport. I wish him well all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

I would say the sensible money will be on Roy Hodgson to replace him

If only I listened to myself! Looking forward to 2nd April now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

flahavaj wrote: »
    I think he should've taken a bit of time away from the game after Liverpool. He looked really stressed out man at the end of his time there. Also his rigid tactics are the kind that take quite a while to get instilled into players, so it could be too late for WBA before the message hits fully home.

That's what the Liverpool job does to you. The King left because of the stress. Souness had a triple heart by pass. Roy Evans ended up wearing glasses towards the end (trying to be a bit like Wenger, i think). Gerard Houllier had a heart attack at half time and his life was saved by the physio and Rafa piled the weight on.

Kenny will be grand though. He's been there before so he knows what to expect. :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement