Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistol question

Options
  • 06-02-2011 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

I dont know much about the whole pistol scene. I hear bits and peices here and there. And Im not seeing the bigger picture. So I just want to ask.

If someone applied for a 22 pistol there wouldnt be a whole lot of problems.

However if someone decides they want something bigger and a little more kick. THats when the problems start.

Am I right in thinking this?

Or would the 22 pistol be just as difficult to get?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You are entitled to apply for a .22 pistol. It cannot hold more than 5 rounds and it is classed as an unrestricted firearm. Whether you get it or not is up to your Super.

Unless you held a license for a CF pistol before the 18th November 2008, you cannot apply for one. If you did hold a license prior to the date, you are entitled to apply for a license to keep the pistol. Unlike .22s applications for CF pistols were done by the Chief Super of each district.

In summary, if you had a CF pistol license before 18th November 2008 you can apply to keep the license. If you want a .22 pistol you can apply anything.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Gerry.L

So a rimfire is fine then. Is that what your saying...?

If thats the case, why is there so much fuss about the centrefires? Wouldnt a centrefire just mean a more expensive bullet, the possibilty or reloading, and some extra distance...?

What are you gonna do with a centrefire that cant be done with a rimfire..? :o

And just one last question: Like you have said its up to the super, so obviously you cant speak for him, but do you find the supers (in general) are accomodating with rimfires or is it a case of lots of fighting and explaining and then maybe possibly he might just accept it if you happen to catch him on a good day.

EDIT: Was that a typo when you said "it is classed as an unrestricted firearm"..? I dont know much about firearm laws, but wouldnt that mean that a 22 pistol would be on par with say a shotgun (in the eyes of the law)..?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Gerry.L wrote: »
    So a rimfire is fine then. Is that what your saying...?

Yes.
    If thats the case, why is there so much fuss about the centrefires? Wouldnt a centrefire just mean a more expensive bullet, the possibilty or reloading, and some extra distance...?

What are you gonna do with a centrefire that cant be done with a rimfire..? :o

Its about the disciplines of shooting. Some disciplines require a CF pistol others require a rimfire then there are "open" style shoots where a certain caliber is not important/required. eg. - WA1500 uses handguns with a minimum caliber of .32.

Its like being told you cannot have a .308 rifle for FTR shooting, but you can have a .22lr for it. In other words completely impractible and would kill of the sport.

Plus the entire cause behind this is the ex-Minister's personal agenda to rid the country of pistols, especially CF ones. It was a personal decison and a half hearted and completely ridiculous reaction to the increase in crime perpetrated by the carious criminal gangs. Odd thing is thet have their UNLICENED, UNREGISTARTED AND UNTRACEABLE guns, alot of lads that were fully leagl, sportsmen do no. So instead of doing an outright ban he has left it in ruins with laws and SIs that restrict the sport to such an extent that it cannot function fully (IMO).
    And just one last question: Like you have said its up to the super, so obviously you cant speak for him, but do you find the supers (in general) are accomodating with rimfires or is it a case of lots of fighting and explaining and then maybe possibly he might just accept it if you happen to catch him on a good day.

Its district dependant. Some Supers base the applications on their merits, some are against pistol ownership so refuse any application, so i really cannot answer that question.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

THanks for that Ezridax... thats cleared up a lot of confusion I had :)

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Gerry.L wrote: »
    I dont know much about the whole pistol scene. I hear bits and peices here and there. And Im not seeing the bigger picture. So I just want to ask.

If someone applied for a 22 pistol there wouldnt be a whole lot of problems.

However if someone decides they want something bigger and a little more kick. THats when the problems start.

Am I right in thinking this?

Or would the 22 pistol be just as difficult to get?

Someone = YOU :D

• Advertisement

demonloop wrote: »
    Someone = YOU :D

:D No... not unless I could take it hunting with me for a quick kill on anything Ive wounded. If I could do that then Id be very interested in getting one. But until thats legal I wouldnt bother. Standing in a range shooting paper targets is not very appealing to me :p

dCorbus wrote: »
    :confused::confused:

Eh? So why then start a thread about something you've no interest in?:confused:

I was just curious really. I kept hearing and reading about people having problems with bigger caliber guns and I was kinda getting the impression that they could have smaller calibers if they wanted. And as far as I was concerned they were only shooting paper. Im not gonna pretend I fully understand now (I have a better idea though), but at the time I didnt see why you'd need such big calibers for paper targets.

With hunting, obviously caliber is important your not gonna shoot a deer at 100 yards with a 22. So I just wanted to know what was actually going on with the pistol shooters and were people only getting worked up over it because of the priniciple of it, or was there an actual reason (which there was).

And I have to say, Ive told my new found knowlegde to a few people and they were shocked. I think alot of people are under the impression that **all** pistol owners are comming under pressure and not just the centerfire ones. Up until a few days ago that was the impression I was under anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

It's abit awkward to say teh least.

I'd love a Remington remake of a 1911 to complete my remington Collection.

I'd also love a S&W 686 .357mag/.38Special Wad Cutter

And a Hamerrili or Browning .22

I'd also want it not to be Authorized range only.

If you own your own private land, that you shoot bunnies on, Why can't you punch yer own paper on your own property???

We are a very funny country when it comes to firearms legislation

Advertisement