Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Advice Needed

Options
  • 06-02-2011 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice on my work situation, I started working in August 01, working in a trade, did my apprenticeship there, so i stayed there, but with the economy crashing, things started to go quiet.
    So in February 10 my boss put me on part time, working week on, week off, so was on that, filling in my social welfare slips with the x and o. But since 14th January im out of work fully, my boss said it was for awhile to see if things pick up again, i even asked him how long for i would be out of work, he said he had no idea, it mustnt be good if he doesnt know himself!!
    He said he would ring me if work comes in for him. I was been hopeful that things might pick up but now that hope is fading fast.
    Any advice? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,511 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You probably don't want to hear this, but you don't have a job. I know there isn't much out there but you need to start seriously looking for an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Well i havent been officially let go yet, would it best to approach my boss about it and surely he has to give me redundacy too if he is leaving me go? Its the law isnt it?
    And cheers for the reply looksee

Ah, ok. Well I can't be much help to you, but my suggestion would be, if you are in a union, get some information about your situation, or at least go to somewhere like Citizens Advice and find out what your rights are.

Then arrange to have a chat with your boss, and ask him what the story is. Don't be confrontational and don't mention the above until/unless you have to. You have to be realistic though, don't let him string you along unless it is the best arrangement for you - it is probably not to his advantage to make you redundant so he could just keep promising. Try and conclude with something like - 'well it's not looking great is it, so I suppose I must assume I'm being made redundant? I understand I am entitled to x' etc and take it from there. He will either find you a job or make you redundant.

Cheers again Looksee. looks like he is stringing me along and there is 3 others in the same boat as me.
    Will ring Citizens Advice this week, is there just one main number for them? if i ring 11850, they will give it to me?

• Advertisement

Didnt know there is 2 centres in Waterford City!!
    Cheers again looksee, your advice is good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

This happened to my OH. After a few weeks of handing in x and o sheets without any work pn them the welfare cut him off and when he got in contact they said they needed him to make a JSB claim and so he would need a P45 so he had to go back to his employer and get a P45 or no benifits. In your case yes you would be entitled to redundancy if there is no work there for you.

You'd be getting about €12,150
    https://redundancy.entemp.ie/rpsportal/calculateResultAction.do;jsessionid=34dda2e128a20a495d308c34a81fb4a27fd036bc0b6f3b6ae57346542e91bfa4.e34Lb3yKaxuQci0LbNaNbNiPa38Me6fznA5Pp7ftolbGmkTy

If your employer cant pay you this you can claim it from the government I think NERA look after it.

^How long was your OH handing in the x and o sheets before the welfare cut him off? i was told the 14th January id be laid off for a while, so its nearly a month now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

about 13 months, then he was means teasted and was awarded 35euro per week!

^ Thats bad!! What did he do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 needachance

i recently fell out with my employer over the way he wanted certain work practices carried out which i disagreed with. We both decided it would be best if i left, however i dont know if i can now rely on him for a proper reference !!! Should have sorted it before i left i know. I do have a friend who will give me a reference but am concerned as my previous employer number on the p45 !!!!! Any idea how to get around that ?? as i dont want to talk down a previous employer. Happily awaiting ideas

Advertisement