Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buses direct to Dublin

Options
  • 06-02-2011 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Does anyone know of buses direct from cavan to dublin on a sunday and friday. The Bus eireann takes about about 2 and half hrs and does not take the motorway. Surely theres a private bus going? Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

scoopmine wrote: »
    Does anyone know of buses direct from cavan to dublin on a sunday and friday. The Bus eireann takes about about 2 and half hrs and does not take the motorway. Surely theres a private bus going? Thank you!

You would certainly think there would be a direct bus but for some bizzare reason there is not. I honestly havnt a clue as to why this is but I for one would definatley use it if the service started.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

gazzer wrote: »
    You would certainly think there would be a direct bus but for some bizzare reason there is not. I honestly havnt a clue as to why this is but I for one would definatley use it if the service started.
    there is a reason aparantly, according to the other thread.

Following some crazy logic, the powers that be do want an express service but dont want Bus Eireann to have it!!

The inside word aparantly has it that the express service will be a kick start for a private competitor ón the route, and only then has Bus Eireann a chance of getting a scheduled express service themselves.
    (I'll link that thread here when I see it again)

Personally, I fail to see how the current hourly frequency can be maintained with 2 operators on the route.
    Indeed, from Navan and to an extent Kells, you would have the numbers to sustain regular services with passengers split amongst 2 operators.

But from Cavan?

Anyhow, its all cloaked in secrecy whatever is happening at the National Transport Asssociation.

As an aside, are there not already express relief busses on Fridays and Sundays at certain peak times?
    For Cavan-Belfast and Cavan-Galway, bus Eireann certainly had such express non stop services (waay back when I was a student!)

EDIT:
    the private operator getting THE licence for an express service is mentioned here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69827556&postcount=37

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

One reason they won't take the motorway is because the commuter service, and the normal service, still have to make the stops that aren't on the motorway! now, i have no idea why they cannot still have at least one or two busses that go express on the M3! The airport service would be the closest bet at the moment. it takes the normal route as far as kells i think (i fell asleep ;)), M3 arter that. Goes out to the airport, then into busaras. Seemed quick enough, i think it was slightly quicker than the normal route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Well I was on the bus up from Cavan this evening and the bus was basically full by the time it left Cavan bus stop...
    Was full just after Virginia..

Absolutely no reason why it couldn't have been an express up the M3 then seeing as the bus basically stopped in Kells to tell the people waiting there to wait for the next bus.. same story in Navan then :rolleyes:

There's definitely enough demand for an express on a Sunday evening with students - dunno about other times of days though...

Advertisement