Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I change my equipment and if so to what??

• 06-02-2011 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭

Hi There,

I am in a bit of a rut at the minute.

I am using a Canon EOS30D at the minute with the standard 18-55 lense and a Sigma 70-300 F4/5.6 lense. I would consider myself to be getting quite good at shooting with these lenses but I feel for some of the things I am trying to do, I am quite restricted.

I like to shoot alot of car photography, either standing still or movement ie. racing etc. With the lenses I am using I can get the shots I want, but after a number of attempts I suppose.

I am thinking of upgrading all my gear, camera, lenses, tripod and getting a flash also.

What would you think should be my next step as regards equipment up from what I have now?

Some of the questions I have are:
    Make? Shooting Canon but wondering if I should move to a nice Nikon??
    Lenses? Would really like something with F2.8 for depth of field and low light
    Price? Hopefully if I could sell my gear, I might have a budget of €1500 (roughly)
    Job Oppertunity: I am currently dabbing in a few different jobs at the minute, but If I was to try and go for jobs in photography, what would my ideal equipment be? Not sure what type of photography, but a general good list to have if I was to try something.(if you catch my drift!)

Please help as I am a keen photographer and want to develop my interest more.

Thanks in advance,

Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I'd start with a decent 2.8 zoom lens or a nice 35/50mm prime. Go with glass would be my advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

for motor sport and moving stuff, a fast telephoto is probably what you want, however these can be expensive! the cheapest tele i've seen around is a Canon EF 70-200mm F4 f/4 L USM - €587 (from DigitalRev) havent seen any comparable Sigma cheaper.

been looking around a few sites myself and you could get this for your budget all inclusive no VAT or anything shipping included

CANON 24-105MM F4L IS USM LENS €890 from e-bay shop flash Camera

Canon 550D+18-55mm lens €646 from e-bay shop DigitalRev
    flog the 18-55mm lens for €120 or something and get yourself a filter or put towards a flash unit.

or

warehouse express sells the Canon 60D for €967 which leaves €533 so add another €55 or so and you could get the 70-200 F4 L with it as above.

as to your questions:
    Make - any of the main brands are a good bet, more stuff around for Canon and Nikon i suppose.

Lens - most f2.8 lens are a lot dearer consider a f4 with IS (not too bad for low light)

Price - your budget is going to dictate what you can get and unfortunately the budget is quiet low, perhaps look at the second hand market?

Job - all depends on what it is, for motor sport, at a minimum you'll need a reliable Camera, Telephoto and a Wide Angle lens and a good speedlight.

good luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevinhalvey

you should have look at some of the belfast stores in n.i they can be alot cheaper for some things and their can be a huge difference in somethings worth a look

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

To me it doesn't sound like the gear is restricting you too much. Getting a new body, be it Canon or Nikon, will make very little difference. Some faster glass may help some but from reading your post it seems that the problem probably lies more with technique and a lack of experience. Taking panning shots will be hit and miss but the more you practice the more hits you get.

Post up some examples of your work and people here may be able to advise you better.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bigjoe

Glass is the way to go. Here are a few shots I have taken with my 30D. The camera is fine but you might think of new lenses.

IMG_3502.jpg

IMG_9900.jpg

153.jpg

116.jpg

• Advertisement

I'd recommend changing and upgrading gear only when you begin to notice your current gear's weakpoints.

I've been using the 18-55 Canon kit lens for ages, and never had an issue with it. Fantastic little lens for me. Then I started taking 'social' images of people in pubs/clubs, etc. celebrating parties and noticed the lens was poor at focusing, and was very jittery. It didn't really know whether it wanted to focus on the person or the wall behind them. But most notably: it was painfully slow to focus.

Switched it out to a 17-85 IS USM I picked up on adverts. Only got it this week, but the difference is noticeable to me straight away. I'm not sure if it's down to the lens being able to focus faster (I believe the actual focus reliability/system/whatever, is built into the camera?) but the shots are focusing spot on with it lately. I realise it's not a huge step up in terms of image quality or anything, but I'm generally happier with it.

If I wasn't doing these kinda photos, though, I'd go back to the 18-55 with no issue at all. Find your biggest weakspots (that have a noticeable effect on your shots) and look to improve upon that, is my advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

CabanSail wrote: »
    To me it doesn't sound like the gear is restricting you too much. Getting a new body, be it Canon or Nikon, will make very little difference. Some faster glass may help some but from reading your post it seems that the problem probably lies more with technique and a lack of experience. Taking panning shots will be hit and miss but the more you practice the more hits you get.

Post up some examples of your work and people here may be able to advise you better.

I hear what your saying. I think from some of my low lighting conditions, a 2.8 would be handy for me, and I would like to do a lot of closer work while getting the background blurred alot more. I was also thinking that by getting a newer model camera, that I could get more shots per second for moving/panning shots of cars.

Here's some of what I've done, most static ones with the tripod.

IMG_2388.jpg
    IMG_1917.jpg
    This is one I came across at random and I was asked to email this onto someone but it came out cr*p. was near dark at this stage also
    IMG_5688.jpg
    IMG_4525.jpg
    I really like this one but it just wasnt as crisp clear as i wanted it
    len.jpg
    redcam.jpg
    IMG_6831.jpg
    IMG_0290.jpg
    1.jpg
    CartonBoathouseHighPass.jpg
    Excuse the dirt on the sensor for this last one!!

@Bigjoe, and Kelly

When you say glass, what do you mean by that??

Bigjoe, what lense is that you have going on there? stunning shots btw

Apologies if my earlier post seemed a bit insulting. I assumed you had only picked up a camera and were wondering why you weren't getting amazing results. From looking at your images you posted, it's clear you're a lot farrer on from that. :o My bad.
    @Bigjoe, and Kelly

'Glass' is intermittently used in exchange for lens. Better glass = better lens.

Apologies if my earlier post seemed a bit insulting. I assumed you had only picked up a camera and were wondering why you weren't getting amazing results. From looking at your images you posted, it's clear you're a lot farrer on from that. :o My bad.

'Glass' is intermittently used in exchange for lens. Better glass = better lens.

No apology needed mate! I understand, I do like the 18-55 too, just want to get more from my shots, or different types of shots.

Cheers for the info on the Glass thing though!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Just been looking through a few bits there in the last while. Am thinking of buying the Sigma 70-200 F2.8. So hopefully will get that soon enough.

But also looking at the 500d or the 550d. I would like to have the HD recording on the camera. Does anyone know if the frames per second speed is faster on these than the 30D? Cant figure this out. Also what are users thoughts on these?

Considering the 600D is coming out, and as some others said, watch out for these on adverts, thats why these models have gotten me thinking!

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

this site will give some comparisons

http://snapsort.com/compare/

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Some sweet shots, looks like you would definitely benefit from 2.8 glass.

@Bigjoe, and Kelly

Off the top of my head these would have been taken with a Signa 70-200 F2.8. In my mind the lens is far more important.

bigjoe wrote: »
    Off the top of my head these would have been taken with a Signa 70-200 F2.8. In my mind the lens is far more important.

I've just put an offer in for one of those same lenses, look like it'd be the job for things im looking for!! unfort cant afford any L lenses at the minute!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

This might be short, but it is not intended to be offensive.
    For the first, lens is investment, DSLR is spending. However 350D has its limitations.
    If you are used to Canon (controls, handling), try other cameras in a shop to see if they fit your hand and if you find the controls and find them easy and intuitive to use. I LOVE Pentax, Canon 5D fits my hand like a glove, but I struggled with every single Nikon I had the chance to try.
    If I were in your shoes, I'd go for decent lens and watch camera prices fall. Both in shops and second hand.
    Just my opinion, only.

I've just put an offer in for one of those same lenses, look like it'd be the job for things im looking for!! unfort cant afford any L lenses at the minute!!

If you get one you will fall in love with it. I sold one last year for €350 as I got a great deal on a Canon IS.

Just another thought, as I said I found the 30D great but one thing that I found helped a lot was a battery grip.It helped with ballance, panning got much easier. I bought a cheep on on Ebay with 2 batteries and a cable relese for €65 delivered.

bigjoe wrote: »
    If you get one you will fall in love with it. I sold one last year for €350 as I got a great deal on a Canon IS.

Just another thought, as I said I found the 30D great but one thing that I found helped a lot was a battery grip.It helped with ballance, panning got much easier. I bought a cheep on on Ebay with 2 batteries and a cable relese for €65 delivered.

Rally want to look into getting one of them too, may have a look on the bay for one of them. Want to get a flash too, seen them in conns for bout 250 or so. What's ideal when looking for a flash as i will completely new to working with one.

Advertisement