Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunken Boat in Carrick-on-Shannon

• 06-02-2011 4:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

There is a boat sitting on the bottom of the public marina in carrick-on-Shannon for the last couple of weeks. does anybody else know anything about it?
    There is nothing left above the surface now but the top of the flybridge and less as the water level rises. I think its a shame to see a boat like that just abandoned to rot away. I can see that Waterways Ireland have done nothing except put up some signs and I'm wondering has the owner even been informed?

I think she is between 28 and 32ft in lenght with twin engines, open aft deck and flybridge and I think that there was a for sale sign in the window before she went down. she has been under water for about 2 months at this stage. I'm thinking that either the owner hasnt checked up on her because of the holidays and bad weather and doesnt know anything has happened, they know about it and werent able to do anything because she is too far out to reach with a crane or maybe have gotten completely frustrated and washed their hands of her.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

any pic's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Fraid not, I thought about getting some but it kinda seemed insensitive, not much to see anyway, just a windscreen, everything under the water is covered in mud already

what a waste

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

There has been a lot of sinking over the winter, this is one of them.

de_600x600.jpg

This is on it's way down.

med_gallery_398_7_78668.jpg

And these

1224286877066_1.jpg

gallery_398_7_77811.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

From talking to a few boat owners who have fallen on hard times, you may just find the guy hasn't the money to sort the mess out. [/idle speculation]

It's a horrible sight for any boat owner to see.

• Advertisement

absolute shame thats all i can say

I'm just glad our boat is sitting nice and snug in a shed over the winter. After the weather we had over the last couple of months I'm happy we have a boat thats able to be trailered even if it makes overnighting "cozy" during the summer

Is there many of these boats actually being repaired after they are refloated? surely the work and materials needed to bring them back up to working order along with the costs of raising and recovering them in the first place is more than many are worth.

Does insurance compensate you for the value of the repairs or just the value of the boat?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Slig wrote: »
    I'm just glad our boat is sitting nice and snug in a shed over the winter. After the weather we had over the last couple of months I'm happy we have a boat thats able to be trailered even if it makes overnighting "cozy" during the summer

"The pleasure you get from a boat is generally reckoned to be in inverse proportion to its size. Go small, but go now". ~ Anonymous

Does insurance compensate you for the value of the repairs or just the value of the boat?

I've never tested it (and hope I never will) but I'd reckon whichever is the lesser amount, they'll pay out on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If the boat and engine have not been properly winterised the insurance will not pay out.:eek:

Here is how you do it.
    http://ezinearticles.com/?How-To-Winterize-Your-Boat&id=370702

fergal.b wrote: »
    If the boat and engine have not been properly winterised the insurance will not pay out.:eek:

Here is how you do it.
    http://ezinearticles.com/?How-To-Winterize-Your-Boat&id=370702

Seeing as there is roughly 6-8ft of water sitting on top of the deck I would assume that a completely thorough winterising may have been overlooked slightly. I really feel for the owners though, even if insurance pays out the ammount of work involved in tidying her up will be staggering.

I have to say I'd be interrested in seeing how they bring her back up though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

DOTHEDOG wrote: »
    any pic's

I think it must be this one. I reckon that the mooring registration people must be in touch with the owner surely ? How come no one has been to remove it? It's been there now for ages. Is it a total write off?

151028.jpg

151029.jpg

151030.jpg

Ya its been underwater since last December anyway. I have been half thinking of contacting Waterways Ireland and asking what the story is with it. Surely they wont just leave it there over the Summer with berths here at a premium and the current owner doesnt seem to be doing anything to bring her back up (cant say I blame them really). She is already starting to slip under the walkway and that has got to be causing damage.

I cant help but think it would be an interresting project if it were to come up for sale as is and at the right price but it is a real shame to see such a nice boat just rotting away.

It was on the RTE news awhile back,I can't believe it's still there.
    Here is the link.
    http://www.paulscannell.net/Arthur-The-Photo-Gallery/2011-01-06-Arthur-features-on/15360394_kSDbC#1149379977_E2WY4-A-LB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

Ya its been underwater since last December anyway. I have been half thinking of contacting Waterways Ireland and asking what the story is with it. Surely they wont just leave it there over the Summer with berths here at a premium and the current owner doesnt seem to be doing anything to bring her back up (cant say I blame them really). She is already starting to slip under the walkway and that has got to be causing damage.

I cant help but think it would be an interresting project if it were to come up for sale as is and at the right price but it is a real shame to see such a nice boat just rotting away.

I feel your pain - It is a shame, and I'v been tempted a few times to put in a offer for a boat in similar conditions, but there is alot more work involved than you may realise. Its not just a case of giving her a scrub down, and away you go. The engines might be so badly gone that they are for the bin. That means replacement power plant - and thats major €€€€. Also it will need a new interior -more €€€€ depending on how plush you want to get.

Its not imposible to restore by any means, but even if you get her for free, you will still spend an arm and a leg to get her up and running again Im afraid.

i am nodding my head here to and fro in dissaray of why in the name of god do the owners not look after these boats,put it on dry land is the easy way

About 2 weeks ago, there were two divers there with air tanks and compressors. I went down on the jetty to see what was going on. The two divers in question were not for chatting but it looked like they were trying to raise the boat. Driving by since, I see the boat has not been raised but it has moved portward by about 5-10 feet.

Waterways Ireland have just issued MN#38 of 2011 in which they have
    announced their intention to remove and dispose of a number of vessels that
    are currently sunk or abandoned in Shannon Harbour.

The vessels are:
    HEYDAY (2711), Small GRP Cruiser South Bank East of Griffith Bridge, 7m

AH KATHLEEN (8026), Small Barge/Cruiser, South Bank East of Griffith Bridge,
    7m

BEAL NA BLATH Wooden Cabin Cruiser, South Bank East of Griffith Bridge, 7m

No Name, Wooden Cabin Cruiser (Green), South Bank East of Griffith Bridge,
    7m

PALOMA (2136), Wooden yacht (White), South Bank East of Griffith Bridge, 7m

MAXIR II (6050), Cabin Cruiser, South Bank East of Griffith Bridge, 7m

WAVE DANCER, Speed Boat, Area of Transit Shed - on hard, 5m

CELTIC MIST (3619[AG]), Steel Hulled Cruiser, North Bank - West 35th Lock, 10m

NO NAME (7441), Small day boat with cabin, North Bank - West 35th Lock
    Full details can be found here.
    http://iwai.ie/download/MN3811REMOVALOFCRAFT.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

My Boat was under the water for 2 weeks in Jan ,I got it on dry land for 1k and after a few weekends of elbow grease she's ready to go back in the water this weekend ,It wasn't a pretty sight when it was raised every single part of the interior had a film of oil on it but it honestly does look better now than when I bought it 2 years ago , amazing the little things you find when you need to scrub every inch :D

• Advertisement

The more of that boat I see (and they are slowly bringing it up) the worse it looks, I think alot of elbow grease will be required to make it look even remotely like it was not to mention the cost.
    I'm sure WWI will also be looking for some compensation for the 2 berths its been taking up for the last couple of months.

Its such a pity because it looks like such a nice boat.

After the recent refloat attempt, this is the boat as of this evening m(2nd May 2011).

157357.jpg

157359.jpg

fergal.b wrote: »

wow! just wow! I know that these boats are common enough (I remember them going selling for €10K with a trailer, new) but surely you would have some respect for your own boat.

How bout we set up an ISPCB, and rehome some of these poor neglected watercraft:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 tbnewman

is there not some sort of salvage rights ? if its sitting on the bed of a river can you not just apply for a salvage title, and you have gotton yourself a free boat

Think thats only at sea in international waters, Esb own the water in the river and as far as I know some other state or semi-state body (WWI) owns the river bed. I do know that if you encroach into the river with a development (pier or jetty) then you must lease that section of river from Waterways Ireland for 999 years.
    It could also be in private ownership by the owners of land adjascent to the river (centre line of river may be the official boundary between 2 plots of land.) Not really too sure.

All the same, I cant imagine the actual owner would be too happy seeing you walking away with his boat. (unless of course its an insurance write off and its costing them lots of money to either leave it there or attempt to raise it again)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Im not saying a thing :eek:,

http://www.donedeal.ie/view/2172977

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Trying to sell a wreck for a fair bit. Are they trying to offload the responsibility for pollution especially if the tanks are full of diesel?

not a hope in hell buddy!

(It was no oil painting before it sank was is?!)

• Advertisement

Thats her, €5K hmmmmm.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

Related to this I took a few pictures in Lowtown today...

DSCF5468.jpg

DSCF5467.jpg

DSCF5465.jpg

DSCF5472.jpg

DSCF5471.jpg

DSCF5470.jpg

DSCF5469.jpg

Sad to see really :(

Jeez H Christ, are these all in the one place? How many craft are under water? I wonder is there a business to be made out of recovering/restoring these sunken boats all over the country?

Had the same thought lately myself, those boats may be worth sentimental value to someone but apart from the fibreglass norman I cant see that they are financially worth spending hundreds recovering especially since most look like they have been down a while

Had the same thought lately myself, those boats may be worth sentimental value to someone but apart from the fibreglass norman I cant see that they are financially worth spending hundreds recovering especially since most look like they have been down a while

In fairness the same Norman has no engine and the cover pulled back,so i reckon it has been well "cleaned" out of anything worthwhile.
    But your right its the pick of them........Value......€250 max where it sits i reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

Apart from the one in the third picture all of these were fully afloat before the winter... a lot of 'abandoned' boats in lowtown, and loads of wrecks in the yard and around the banks, some undergoing restoration most just lying there.

DSCF5473-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

The last boat looks like a Kestral. Lovely clinker built boat that sails beautifully and is probably worth doing up.

Getting back to the boat in question, I was in Carrick today and the new owners are there conducting a major recovery attempt. Had a chat with a couple of them, very nice people and I wish them luck.

163648.jpg

I was there also,the guy that has bought it is genuinely doing his best to raise it.His first attempt i believe last weekend and they had it well up last night but just not above the deck so were effectively pumping the Shannon in and out of it.
    Next weekend i reckon they will do it as they have learned from this one.I also wish him well in his new project.

Best of luck to them. If they get it raised and refurbished they will have a fine boat for the price they paid (hopefully). I wonder did they know anything about the boat before they bought it. I enquired about it aswell and was told a pack of lies by the previous owner.

Still, they look abit more professional than the last crowd that tried, all they had was a pair of flippers, mask and snorkle, a compressor and a guy in a back to front wetsuit. The real trick will be getting the stern up, with 2 big diesel lumps its not light.

I heard one local say the way they always lifted sunken boats from that location was to drag them up the far bank by winching them from a tree!! Sounds abit drastic but I suppose its how we always recovered sunken fishing boats from the sea back home when I was younger, dive down and attach a line and drag them up the beach with a tractor.

Fair play to them, it can't be a cheep job to raise or restore. You know what they say about a boat been a hole in the water that you keep pouring money into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Best of luck to them. If they get it raised and refurbished they will have a fine boat for the price they paid (hopefully). I wonder did they know anything about the boat before they bought it. I enquired about it aswell and was told a pack of lies by the previous owner.

Still, they look abit more professional than the last crowd that tried, all they had was a pair of flippers, mask and snorkle, a compressor and a guy in a back to front wetsuit. The real trick will be getting the stern up, with 2 big diesel lumps its not light.

I heard one local say the way they always lifted sunken boats from that location was to drag them up the far bank by winching them from a tree!! Sounds abit drastic but I suppose its how we always recovered sunken fishing boats from the sea back home when I was younger, dive down and attach a line and drag them up the beach with a tractor.

Thats how I would do it! The pontoon could be floated out of the way and pull her in to drain, then lift. Seems obvious but is there a reason they are not going about it this way.

Seemingly there were Loads of "professional" salvage crews that came to have a look but never came back, maybe when they seen the situation their prices were too high. I was told by the previous owner that nobody had attempted to raise her (even though I seen one attempt first hand.)

The only crowd that made an attempt tried lifting her in-situ by trying to float her. The problem that I think they floundered on was that the back is extremely heavy(2 big diesel lumps) and has low gunwales so she would have to be nearly fully raised before they could start pumping the water out.

Very rocky and steep on the near bank which could be damaging for a fibreglass hull but its softer across the other side, so I'm told anyway

Last week when I spoke to the new owners, they had arranged for a barge to arrive and do the lifting, they were gonna pump the water out of her form both sides as she was raised. I don't think the barge showed up.

I also mentioned to them the fact that their new boat was the subject of a discussion on boards.ie. So if they're watching and need any help, just say the word.

Fair play to the guy he got her lifted saturday evening and hauled round to emerald star to be lifted out.He had only bought it three weeks ago,had it been left another week Waterways Ireland was going to lift it and give him a bill for €8,000.

ah its out is it? any photos anyone?

moonshadow wrote: »
    Fair play to the guy he got her lifted saturday evening and hauled round to emerald star to be lifted out.He had only bought it three weeks ago,had it been left another week Waterways Ireland was going to lift it and give him a bill for €8,000.

Brilliant news and best of luck to the new owners. Aside from the 8K fees I cant imagine WWI would have been too gentle with the lifting either. Did anyone see how they lifted her?

I suppose from their point of view the work has only started. After 6 months under I would say there isnt a single nut, bolt or screw that isnt rusted to hell. The engines will have to come out as well as all the interiors(or whats left of them) and any woodwork. I wonder how things like window rubbers and perspex faired? are they salvagable?

I reckon its about time to buy some stocks in WD40 as I see their sales figures going up dramatically this winter:D

Brilliant news and best of luck to the new owners. Aside from the 8K fees I cant imagine WWI would have been too gentle with the lifting either. Did anyone see how they lifted her?

I suppose from their point of view the work has only started. After 6 months under I would say there isnt a single nut, bolt or screw that isnt rusted to hell. The engines will have to come out as well as all the interiors(or whats left of them) and any woodwork. I wonder how things like window rubbers and perspex faired? are they salvagable?

I reckon its about time to buy some stocks in WD40 as I see their sales figures going up dramatically this winter:D

When I was chatting to them the previous Saturday, I told them to have a power hose ready as soon as she's out of the water and blast away as much crap as possible. It let set, it goes as hard as diamond.

I wonder could ya just get the boat and sink it into a bath or dry dock full of oil or wd40 for a month. Instant cure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CoffeeBlack01

She was lifed up on saturday 25th. Took from 3pm to 10pm to get it out, using a barge, 3 sets of pully blocks, 4 pumps and a hell of a lot of will power:)

Wow, stunning, CoffeeBlack01 are you one of the group who bought or rescued her? That last picture is really really stunning.

Great photos coffeeblack thanks for posting. I hope we get to see the story of her restoration, she is a bit like a wet phoenix.
    All the best to whoever has taken her on and we are here to help if needed.:)
    View2-6450296.jpeg

• Advertisement
Advertisement