Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Display, do I need a new one?

Options
  • 06-02-2011 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Well lads, about a week ago, the lcd display of my Dell Latitude D620 laptop started to go on the blink.

The problem with the display is that there seems to be a flicker and a shift in the pixels that make the display difficult to read. It gives a blurry quality to the screen and a loss of display quality.

Initially the problem only occured for a few seconds and then the screen returned to normal, then it was a few minutes and then this morning when I started the laptop the problem occurred from start up. I have connected the laptop to the telly using the vga connector and there is no problem with the picture quality on the TV.

Any ideas as to what the problem is? I've done the F12 diagnostics test on startup and it's showed that there are no problems.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I'd guess the connection to the screen has got damaged. If it's not repairable I dont know if it would be worth buying a new screen, hard to find and nit cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Contact dell support, or google it, theres lots of tests that can be done using a combination of the power key and function keys. I used to do this your exact model of laptop too( lots of customers would break the screen and claim it happened by itself ) :) - But i cant remember the key combos

D620 is a grand laptop, worth fixing imo. Its nice and fast when theres not alot of crap installed on it.

I`d assume its out of warranty by now, theres a checker on the dell site for service tags. You can also use this to download software/drivers for your laptop, first check I`d do is reinstall/update the vga driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

mcgovern wrote: »
    I'd guess the connection to the screen has got damaged. If it's not repairable I dont know if it would be worth buying a new screen, hard to find and nit cheap.

It depends - ebay is a good place to find replacement laptop screens for between €80-€140 mark. As long as you're compfortable taking the laptop apart, it might be the cheapest solution rather than getting one Dell if your laptop is out of warranty.

For example, the OP's problem seems similar to one I've had there before Chirstmas with a Dell laptop. The screen appeared to be fuzzy or grainy. On close inspection I realised that every second column of pixels was missing. The laptop was well out of warranty and I fixed it by buying a replacement on ebay for about €120. (I rang Dell and they were gonna charge me €400)

Before you got these extremes though, you best try the tests/driver updates already suggested - you never know!

Advertisement