Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gary Moore dead RIP 1952-2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Cole

RIP

I saw this concert on tv a while ago, lots of great guitarists celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Stratocaster. When Gary Moore came on, he just blew them all away. You can sense the admiration and respect the audience had for him. A great performance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Bloody hell!!!!:eek: Completely shocked!! Didn't know the poor guy was ill. He will be sadly missed, only seen him in the Point a few years ago.......Gutted!!

R.I.P Gary

Love this vid of him....can't believe he's passed on before B.B!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭cjgib

Just heard the new of his passing.I remember watching him with skid row in the CY in fairview and the assembly hall in Larkhill school.
    Also saw him in the Castle in Tooting broadway with the row, 1971 i think.

He was just brilliant.The way he holds the note for just that extra second on Parisienne Walkways was sublime.They dont make guys like him anymore.Rock on Garry.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

RIP Gary, was genuinely shocked to hear this. Great and influential player.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

cjgib wrote: »
    Just heard the new of his passing.I remember watching him with skid row in the CY in fairview and the assembly hall in Larkhill school.
    Also saw him in the Castle in Tooting broadway with the row, 1971 i think.

He was just brilliant.The way he holds the note for just that extra second on Parisienne Walkways was sublime.They dont make guys like him anymore.Rock on Garry.

It was Gary :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Shocked and saddened in equal quantities.

A true legend.

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Tragic loss indeed, "Out in the Fields" was a song of my childhood.

At least him and Phil can have a chat about old times now.

R.I.P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭cjgib

Thanks so much for pointing that out thats something i really needed to know!:cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Great guitar player

R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

In the 80's i was at self aid in the RDS.

Watched dozens and dozens of great bands all that day and then late in the evening Gary Moore came on stage with Thin Lizzy and of all the artists i have seen that day and for the past 30yrs he was on a different level to all th eother bands that day live. he was absolutely incredible that day.

RIP to one of the greatest guitarists ever and thanks for the music legend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

no way..sad to hear..wonder if peter green will look for his les paul back now!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lynott

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

RIP Mr. Moore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

no way..sad to hear..wonder if peter green will look for his les paul back now!

That guitar should be passed on to the next great guitarist like a torch. Maybe give it to Bonamassa, or perhaps one of the other guys from Lizzy could play it onstage when they gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Gridlock wrote: »
    Bloody hell!!!!:eek: Completely shocked!! Didn't know the poor guy was ill. He will be sadly missed, only seen him in the Point a few years ago.......Gutted!!

R.I.P Gary

Love this vid of him....can't believe he's passed on before B.B!! :(

One of my ALL TIME fav bits of music ... really excellent stuff !!
    Cant believe this sad news

RIP Gary

Stargate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dunno what to say to this, bit shocked. Great guitarist probably never quite got the popular success his talent deserved. RIP.

Here something from a less remembered part of the Moore canon

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭RICARDO1982

RIP Gary gone but not forgotten....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

R.I.P. Gary ...

always loved this version most ...

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭taintabird

Music has lost one of its grates a true legend R.I.P Garry Moore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Just heard this evening. By all accounts he wasn't ill or anything, asides from a minor cold or something...certainly can't believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

RayCon wrote: »
    R.I.P. Gary ...

always loved this version most ...

R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

sad news. RIP Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Gutted.
    Will have a pint in your honour at Lizzy gig on 17th.
    RIP Gary. :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Lizzy gig on 17th.
    Where is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

R.I.P. Gary

There's gonna be a great gig up there on St Paddy' day: Philo on bass, Gary and Rory Gallagher either side of him.

The pure emotion he put into every note was unbelievable.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CMajor

That guitar should be passed on to the next great guitarist like a torch. Maybe give it to Bonamassa, or perhaps one of the other guys from Lizzy could play it onstage when they gig?

Moore sold the Peter Green Les Paul in 2006 to an american collector... Gibson actually copied it and sold copies of it with the guitar named after the collector... Big loss to the guitar world... Nobody can sustain a note like Gary Moore...

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Collectors-Choice-1-1959-Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

We lost an Irish legend yesterday. My heart goes out to his family.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I only saw Gary Moore perform live once - that was at a tribute gig in the Olympia for another Irish guitar great, the late Jimmy Faulkner. It was a brief but astounding performance.

RIP Gary

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Another Legendary guitarist/musician taken too soon! RIP Gary!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Another legend I'll have to chalk down as a miss (closest I got to seeing him was when he was supposed to support Whitesnake in the Olympia but he pulled out). Victims Of The Future was one of the albums of my younger days, loved it to bits.

RIP

Advertisement