Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gary Moore dead RIP 1952-2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

Is Smiley Bulger still alive?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

He is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

ultain wrote: »
    Where is this?

Olympia 17th Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Pawsome54

R.I.P Gary, the death of the last living Irish guitar legend.

Me and a friend of mine are going to organize a tribute show to him to celebrate his life, kind of like the Vibe for Philo, a Gig for Gary sort of thing.

His birthday is the 4th of April so we're planning on having it around then and getting a few big bands to play it. We also plan on getting the backing of MCD because I have tight connections there, so that will be great for advertising it and it'll hopefully be a really great night. Hopefully now the man will finally get the respect he has deserved for so many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Somebody please tell me Pawsome54 is not really Smiley B. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Very sad news, RIP and condolenses to family and friends.
    Missed him supporting Whitesnake in The Point a few years back. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Unbelievable news, a fantastic man.

Wild frontier was a perfect album.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭dasdog

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Pawsome54

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Somebody please tell me Pawsome54 is not really Smiley B. :(

Smiley Bolger doesn't like Gary Moore, so why would he want to put on a tribute concert for him? I know this because my band played the Vibe for Philo 2009 and Smiley was messin slaggin the lead guitarist of my band saying he was doing too much of "that Gary Moore stuff" (he meant all that really fast shreddy blues playing that Gary used to always do).

So no, I'm not Smiley Bolger, my name is Paul and I'm just a really big Gary Moore fan who wants to help him be remembered and appreciated to the incredible extent that he deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Pawsome54 wrote: »

Me and a friend of mine are going to organize a tribute show to him to celebrate his life, kind of like the Vibe for Philo, a Gig for Gary sort of thing.

His birthday is the 4th of April so we're planning on having it around then and getting a few big bands to play it. We also plan on getting the backing of MCD because I have tight connections there, so that will be great for advertising it and it'll hopefully be a really great night. Hopefully now the man will finally get the respect he has deserved for so many years.

Sounds great man ... go for it and post details when you have them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

my name is Paul and I'm just a really big Gary Moore fan who wants to help him be remembered and appreciated to the incredible extent that he deserves.

Nice one mate.

I'm astonished and actually sickened at the lack of media coverage Gary's death is getting, especially in Ireland. The guy was an absolute legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dougal-maguire

liked some of his music,some of it just wasnt for me,but ill never forget him because of "still in love with you",that was basically his song,and its my favourite song of all time.not too often the death of someone i dont know gets me down but this has. R.I.P Gary,a great player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

RIP Gary

so sad to hear this. he hadn't toured Ireland in a few years, would have loved to see him live and was always checking to see if he added any Irish dates to his tours:(

pawsome54 lovely idea, hope it works out, keep us informed

Oh and I'm sorry if this is a bit off-topic but I'm really sickened that even though his death has had minimal media coverage, the sun "newspaper" still managed to make his death into a tacky tabloid story stating that he died after a "boozy holiday" with his girlfriend that was in her 30's, they said they were drinking champagne and brandy and was found in their hotel room "in only his underpants" after choking on his own vomit:confused:

they went on to comment on lizzies drink and drug filled lifestyle and added that his former bandmate (philo) died of a heroin OD

I mean they're just portraying this image of an old washed up rock star with his bit of skirt on a drink and drug fuelled holiday
    pure thrash and it's actually pretty upsetting when he so didn't live up to that stereotype at all.

F*cking tabloid thrash:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Metallitroll

that'd be typical alright, to portray it like that. i've no problem with trashy tabloids ripping the proverbial out of flash in the pan generic celebrities that fill a void but Moore is one of them few original pioneering classic rock guitarists from the '70s who has an obsessive fanbase with guitar enthusiasts the world over, he should command more respect but thats lost on the Sun. they're only interested in the filth. whether it be real, or of their own device.

the guy was a serial output merchant with lizzy, at least one quality album every year he loved his music, and he continued til the day he died. but the Sun doesn't say that

here's a link to the article
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/music/3394698/Gary-Moore-found-dead-in-hotel-room.html
    GUITAR ace Gary Moore died on holiday yesterday - choking on his vomit after knocking back champagne and brandy.

fan reaction
    http://www.examiner.com/classic-hard-rock-in-national/gary-moore-fans-rage-at-britain-s-sun-tabloid-for-cause-of-death-speculation

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

magentas wrote: »
    Oh and I'm sorry if this is a bit off-topic but I'm really sickened that even though his death has had minimal media coverage, the sun "newspaper" still managed to make his death into a tacky tabloid story stating that he died after a "boozy holiday" with his girlfriend that was in her 30's, they said they were drinking champagne and brandy and was found in their hotel room "in only his underpants" after choking on his own vomit:confused:

they went on to comment on lizzies drink and drug filled lifestyle and added that his former bandmate (philo) died of a heroin OD

I mean they're just portraying this image of an old washed up rock star with his bit of skirt on a drink and drug fuelled holiday
    pure thrash and it's actually pretty upsetting when he so didn't live up to that stereotype at all.

F*cking tabloid thrash:mad:
    that'd be typical alright, to portray it like that. i've no problem with trashy tabloids ripping the proverbial out of flash in the pan generic celebrities that fill a void but Moore is one of them few original pioneering classic rock guitarists from the '70s who has an obsessive fanbase with guitar enthusiasts the world over, he should command more respect but thats lost on the Sun. they're only interested in the filth. whether it be real, or of their own device.

the guy was a serial output merchant with lizzy, at least one quality album every year he loved his music, and he continued til the day he died. but the Sun doesn't say that
    magentas wrote: »
    here's a link to the article
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/music/3394698/Gary-Moore-found-dead-in-hotel-room.html
    GUITAR ace Gary Moore died on holiday yesterday - choking on his vomit after knocking back champagne and brandy.

fan reaction
    http://www.examiner.com/classic-hard-rock-in-national/gary-moore-fans-rage-at-britain-s-sun-tabloid-for-cause-of-death-speculation

I felt the same as you guys when I read the "article" via the Classic Rock magazine website. I was going to comment on it here but decided against it for a number of reasons. The first being I did not want to drag the thread off topic and turn it into a vendetta against a rag newspaper. The second being having read the heartfelt messages people have left on here I did not want to tarnish those messages by associating them with the gutter press like the sun. I think as fans and people respective of Gary Moore's music we should not even acknowledge their treatment of OUR musical hero. We should instead rise above it and continue to share stories of our personal experiences of Gary. Lets fill this thread with memories, personal encounters and our favourite songs of the legend that is Gary Moore.

^^cheers rebelsoul...I feel like a right biotch now!:o
    I thought about it before I posted it too but I felt it should be acknowledged anyway...it might loose a few customers for that excuse for a newspaper

I added the second link as I thought maybe I was over-reacting cos I've been so annoyed and upset by it yesterday and all day today and the second link shows how outraged fans are by the "story" and I enjoyed reading the comments...especially the guy that said

"At least it sounds like he went out having a good time; Spain, burger, champagne, brandy, girlfriend 20 years younger – it doesn’t really get much better. RIP Gary.":D

i read he actually dropped in/out of lizzy intermittently so i'll be having one of those :o fairly tumultuous group with regards to guitarists. but i see his output under his name alone was a lot, loved his electrified blues enough to be renowned as one of the few absolute best n even if its claimed he fell victim to any Rock n roll clichés, well for me that's wrong because he was one of the originals we are supposed to learn those lessons from. from him, it'd be an honour.

so let the man be if he did like his booze and his blues, he will have found himself alone in a hotel room often when on tour, i suspect, often, random locations probably with the blues, craving a drink that's old school. just like my dad, alone/blues/booze but booze f'd him up. he went to school with phil. future father figure types will probably die of their crack cocaine woes clutching their precious mc equipment or maybe from past mdma glories clutching a Technics turntable, n a glowstick maybe - but an old-school father figure for me, i know enough of em and they will not make many like this from here-on in so to whoever his lifestyle offended, at-ease.

RIP Gary - had a good time and orchestrated a fair few, you can't deny it. and have left somewhat of a legacy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Have a heap of Gary Moore tapes at home from my youth but nothing on CD so ordered the Platinum Collection 3 cd set on Amazon for a tenner delivered!
    One of his albums that really stood out was "Rockin every night..live in Japan" the guitar solo on "I Can't wait until tomorrow" is mesmeric.
    Also love "Run for cover" album even though it is quite poppy with synths etc.
    Feel sad that I kind of neglected his music the past 20 years or so though. Never really followed his blues stuff. I will probably love it now that I'm getting older.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

RIP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Cole

Cole wrote: »
    cool article, didn't realize he had such a huge influence on him.
    cheers for link

Gary Moore is definitely in my list of top five guitar influences, right up with Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Michael Schenker

just an indication of just how revered he is.
    His influence is strong to the point that the opening lick of the guitar solo of “Master of Puppets” is a variation of a lick that Gary Moore played a lot.

metallica get ribbed enough for apparent plagiarism. anyone pick up on that particular one :P

but that lessens my stance on metallica some, n i'll drop the username soon just as my favourite group was Slayer, understand why i don't view em as 2nd to metallica in the thrash stakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mowerr

RIP, great talent

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Ah, don't say that. Henry McCullogh is still alive. So too Louis Stewart!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

anyone know when the funeral is...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

anyone know when the funeral is...

If by any chance anyone knows what the details are it would be much appreciated if you would share.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I think it's in England - as opposed to Belfast.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement