Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCB rating for electric cooker

Options
  • 06-02-2011 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

1. What rating MCB should I use for a standard electric cooker with ceramic hob and 2 ovens (one with fan, one with grill)

2. Should a radial circuit of 2.5mm2 be protected with a 16A or 20A MCB.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

there's a section on cookers in back of rules -i think it's 10kw total connected load on a 32amp circuit

you need to add up the cooking load and see if you need an extra circuit

for a 16/20amp radial circuit -if you divide the 16/20 by any correction factors that'll give you the current rating needed
    http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/4.3.9.htm

if you're starting with the 2.5 you can prob multiply by correction factors to calculate the mcb size

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Ovens can normally wired off a fused spur 2.5 20amp clean line from board, check the wattage of oven first. For the hob you should use a 6sq cable from the board to cooker switch protected by a 32amp mcb.
    If you are wiring the oven off the hob supply make sure to use proper fused protection on the flex to the oven.
    A 2.5 and a 6 sq cable will cover all angels as diversity is taken into account

sounds like he might have a single cooking appliance

-if so that'll be one circuit anyhow of the appropriate size

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Misread that thought he had 2 separate ovens

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mahargwa

Its a free standing cooker rated at 10.8 kW so a 40A MCB should be ok. 10.8kW is 45A at 240 Volts - (The rating of the cooker was 240V as it's quite old) So a 40 A MCB should be ok as all of the plates and ovens won't be ON at the same time. The cable is ok 6mm2 I think and near to the consumer unit. Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I think a 32amp breaker will do you for that. And best if its a 6 square cable.

it's prob only 10kw at 230v -same as the showers

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/6.2.1.htm

32 amp breaker

short run prob 6sq

the rules says 10kw total anyhow last time i looked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yea 9.9kw it would be.

Advertisement